Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Kit Car Headlamps
thegsey

posted on 4/11/09 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
New Kit Car Headlamps

Hello

I would like to hear your ideas as to what features you would like to see in a headlamp for your current or desired Kit Car.

I am currently undergoing a Final Automotive Design Project for University. My aim is to design a contemporary styled headlamp for use on open wheel style Kit Cars. I have industry experience with headlamp design and plan to see this project through to manufacture shortly after graduation. Please can you help me by using this forum to discuss the subject.

Key areas are:

-- Problems encountered with current models.
-- Styling needs (What car would you like to put them on and how would you like them to appear).
-- Features you would like to have or you feel are nesacery.
-- Price (How much would you be willing to pay if a headlamp met all your personal criteria).
-- Anything else you would like to add.

If you have read to this point I thank you very much for your time, it is greatly appreciated, any comments you have are very welcome.

Regards

Mike Gerrard

tegwin

posted on 4/11/09 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Small compact lightweight unit....Obviously..

But with proper projection lensed Xenon complete with self leveling and self washing...Oh and properly certified and E marked please

l0rd

posted on 4/11/09 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin

But with proper projection lensed Xenon complete with self leveling and self washing...Oh and properly certified and E marked please

for £20 ?

Agriv8

posted on 4/11/09 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
quote:

for £20 ?

Per pair in carbon fibre

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

l0rd

posted on 4/11/09 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
quote:

for £20 ?

Per pair in carbon fibre

And Crystal clear lens

Also, If they are rounded, i would like a curved strip of leds like audis combined with angel eyes and also 2 led on the top

Would look like a smiley face and everyone would see how happy we are when driving one

[Edited on 4/11/09 by l0rd]

contaminated

posted on 4/11/09 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
-- Problems encountered with current models. Cost, weight, size, drag and whether they work!
-- Styling needs (What car would you like to put them on and how would you like them to appear). Personally I like anything "classic" looking. By that I mean standalone units available in chrome - but that also come in CF or whatever else.
-- Features you would like to have or you feel are nesacery. Aside from actually working as headlights some aero work would be good. Admittedly I've not changed my 7 inch jobs yet, but the surface area as a ratio to the total frontal area of the car is astonishing!
-- Price (How much would you be willing to pay if a headlamp met all your personal criteria). If they are pretty cheapo units no pint them being more than £30 each given what's available. I believe that's about what Russ knocks some nice ones out for. beyond that it would depend on performance and looks. Something that looked a bit different, was light and had reduced drag would be attractive at a much higher cost.
-- Anything else you would like to add. Integrated indicator within the lamp?

roadrunner

posted on 4/11/09 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Vibration through the chassis keeps blowing my bulbs.
They need to be small aero dynamic and reasonably priced.

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/11/09 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I think a smooth pure teardrop shaped one would look great rather than the usual flat fronted ones

it should also come with a propper matching mounting, blended and streamlined

[Edited on 4/11/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dangle_kt

posted on 4/11/09 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
To avoid the frog eyed look of the round bowl, maybe side by side projectors with LED running lights and integral indicators.

Also an elegant solution to the mounts would be a great Step forward as most are a little agricultural, and would assist in a whole new look forthe front end.

coozer

posted on 4/11/09 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
I like mine, seem to fit some of the above but could do with some work to the lenses as said...

Not that I go out in the dark mind, and yes, they were cheap.

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

russbost

posted on 4/11/09 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Produce something like the top image here, 1 dip 1 main beam

make them with a "smiley" Audi style LED sidelamp underneath & incorporate a built in LED indicator & I will buy them from you 100 at a time! (providing the price is right of course!)

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
thunderace

posted on 4/11/09 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
i like this sort but you dont get them for cars,and they dont have park lights in them.
ebay
Item number: 290337160505
would like an eyebrow for the park lighs like the new audi ones.
and hid 6000k

alistairolsen

posted on 4/11/09 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Something with similar styling to the atom twin pod indicators:

http://www.carstylingtips.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/dsc05130.jpg

HID is a very desirable option, but as stated would need a leveling motor and washer jet.

Wouldnt be too hard to make an ideal aerodynamic teardrop if starting from scratch IMO

My Build Thread

dhutch

posted on 4/11/09 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
I too like the look of the dominator style and size and shape of lights as per the photo post by coozer. Infact, this is what i have on my car, as i bought it.
- There a very commonly used like, avilable from places like M&P in black, chrome, and carbon fibre.

However, the problem with them is that there bike lights, so they dip leval not to the left (rhd) which can be a issue for MOT's and they have awfull beam pattern anyway (sometimes a good thing, for mot, but not for driving) and devlop a massive hole between dipped and main when you mount them as low as we tend to. Plus, being H4's you cant have dipped and main on together. So you already get less light than most people are used to these days. And you lower, so it seems even less. Then there often underwired, so there even dimmer. (mine get about 11volts with the alternator running there that bad)

Projector/HID is an option. But to be honest i dont see it as a massive must have over a good halogen given the amount they tend to get used and the abuse they get between use.

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=500393

Daniel

hicost blade

posted on 4/11/09 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Bish Bash Bosh, Excuse me for the 10 min PS sketch

SVC 'Premium' lights with custom aluminium bodies

These will be my headlights if I ever get round to them

Dave
Bish bash bosh
Bish bash bosh

thegsey

posted on 18/11/09 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you all very much for the responses, these are very helpful. I will post some concepts soon to see what everyone thinks. If there is any more anyone would like to add it will be very welcome.

Thank You

Michael

[Edited on 18/11/09 by thegsey]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.