Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: how hot should my pinto run?
john_p_b

posted on 3/5/10 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
how hot should my pinto run?

had the car out for it's 1st drive of the year yesterday and just about froze to death! can't decide if the car is running too hot though? i fitted a new thermostat last year as there wasn't one in there originaly and ever since it seems to run a little on the warm side, gauge reads pretty much a constant 98 degrees with my fan running all the time as i set it to come on at 90 degrees.

i went for a short but rather spirited drive yesterday, 5 miles roughly and by the time i pulled back on the drive the gauge was again sat around 98 degrees with the fan running but i pushed my hand through the grill and the radiator was hardly what i'd call hot, i could rest my hand on it without it causing me need to pull it away.

what sort of temp should it be running at? what temp should i set my fan to cut in at?

other than that slight worry i didn't half enjoy myself in it

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

dogwood

posted on 3/5/10 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
My fan cuts in at about 105deg.

Normal running just below 100deg
Had a run to La Rochelle in 30 deg sunshine
Fan didnt cut in at all.
Well except when I was posing along the seafront.
No probs with the engine at all

I would reset your fan to ut in at about 100deg, see how it goes.

HTH

[Edited on 3/5/10 by dogwood]

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

Stuart_B

posted on 3/5/10 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
i have mine running around 86 deg tops, today after 170 miles from stoneligh it was around 76-80all the way home,

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

daviep

posted on 3/5/10 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
If your radiator has sufficent cooling capacity then you should be running at around whatever temperature of thermostat you fitted.

Fan cut in sounds a bit low, once the car is moving and there is airflow through the radiator the fan is doing nothing and shouldn't be running.

Davie

DRC INDY 7

posted on 3/5/10 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
88 to 90 is what mine runs at but i have a 4 core rad fitted

your rad should be to hot to touch sounds like you have a air lock in the system poss at the top of the rad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

john_p_b

posted on 3/5/10 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
before i fitted the stat it used to run at around 80 degrees unless sat in traffic, i was expecting it to run a bit hotter when i fitted one but figured around 90 degrees tops. just worries me a little if it's that hot at this time of year and it was bloody freezing yesterday when i was out in it then when the hot weather finally comes for those 2 days it'll be over heating. i'll have to pop the nose cone off and have a check of the rad for air locks.

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

Barksavon

posted on 3/5/10 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
John Ive recently had a few overheating problems with my Pinto....temperature gauge reading 110* loads of pressure in system but rad not hot to touch every time etc....eventually found that the return inlet at the top of the expansion tank (pipe from small outlet on thermostat housing to exp tank) was blocked so nothing was circulating properly, it was 'silted up' with rusty sludge. Now its clear mine runs in mid 80's, Hope this helps.
john_p_b

posted on 3/5/10 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barksavon
John Ive recently had a few overheating problems with my Pinto....temperature gauge reading 110* loads of pressure in system but rad not hot to touch every time etc....eventually found that the return inlet at the top of the expansion tank (pipe from small outlet on thermostat housing to exp tank) was blocked so nothing was circulating properly, it was 'silted up' with rusty sludge. Now its clear mine runs in mid 80's, Hope this helps.

funny you should mention that, i was thinking yesterday there didn't seem to be anything coming through that but then i had to abandon the project and pick the wife up from work so i'll give that a go tomorrow night if i can get over there.

jacko

posted on 3/5/10 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Before i fitted a thermostat my engine ran hotter then after fitting one
I also drilled a small hole in the body plate of the thermostat to help stop air blocks
my engine runs at 85 - 95d
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.