Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best route from Zeebrugge to Doucier in France?
craig1410

posted on 3/7/10 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Best route from Zeebrugge to Doucier in France?

Hi,

Looking for advice on the best route to follow from Zeebrugge in Belgium to Doucier in France?

Google maps suggests the following:
Brugge - Lille - Arras (Just east of it) - Saint Quentin - Reims - Troyes (Just east of it) - Dijon - Monay - Poligny - Doucier

It's 430 miles using the above route which seems pretty direct but I've not looked into the costs of toll roads and local petrol prices (yeah I know diesel is cheaper in france but our car won't burn it... )

Any advice on nicer or faster or cheaper routes would be most welcome although we need to stick to a fairly efficient route with minimal sight-seeing to avoid arriving too late. We'll be setting off from Zeebrugge around 7 or 8am and would like to arrive for dinner if possible (9 hours or so) with a couple of stops on the way.

Many thanks,
Craig.

Humbug

posted on 3/7/10 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Seems OK and should be fairly quick, traffic permitting. I have done parts of that route a few times - Calais to Costa Brava via (round) Lyon avoiding Paris - and it was OK. Given that Google gives a time of about 6.5 hours, even if traffic is worse than expected and taking into account food/loo/petrol stops you should get there at a reasonable time.
craig1410

posted on 3/7/10 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks - any tips for a euro-driving virgin?

Actually I've driven LHD cars before in France and Spain but never taken my own car before. Here is what I've already done:

1. Serviced the car fully myself a few weeks ago. Brake pads, tyres all near new.
2. Arranged euro-breakdown cover via AA
3. Got the required items (Warning triangle, hi-vis vest, first aid kit, GB sticker, headlamp converters, bulb kit.
4. Got some sun shades for the rear side windows and a reflector for the windscreen when parked.
5. Will pack basic toolkit
6. Checked tyre gel (out of date, will get some) and checked that electric pump works.
7. Planned route - iPhone plus map for backup.
8. Insurance covers use in Europe and got V5 and MOT and driving licence (both parts) & passport with me.

Anything else? I do like to over-prepare if at all possible...

jase380

posted on 3/7/10 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Should do it easily in 8 hours, we drove from rotterdamn to toulouse, over 700 miles back in january and that only took us 9 hrs, tolls not to expensive but try and take a few quid in euro coins just in case you come accross any un manned booths.
dogwood

posted on 3/7/10 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Petrol is about 1.35€ to 1.50€ per litre.
Depends where you buy it.
Always use supermarket fuel if you can
Far cheaper than Autoroute prices.

You're credit card should work ok in autofuel stations.
With poss exception Esso Express

HTH

Oh forgot to add
Watch out for hidden speed cameras.
Especially in towns and villages.
My advice is, never go above 50kph when within town boundaries. (Not even 55kph)
Guess how I know??

Anything specific give me a shout.
I'll try to help

[Edited on 3/7/10 by dogwood]

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

rgrs

posted on 3/7/10 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Inform your insurance company, most policies will cover you for europe, however most are limited to 60 or 90 days. They require notification of travel periods.

Also as above don't speed through the villages even on a sunday..... guess how i know too !!

Roger

prawnabie

posted on 3/7/10 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
If your car has a blind spot mirror as standard on the o/s see if you can get a LHD mirror and put it on the n/s it will help you no end when overtaking.
David Jenkins

posted on 4/7/10 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Don't forget that you need a hi-vis vest for everyone in the car, and they've got to be to hand - not in the boot. If a policemen sees anyone get out of the car on a major road without a vest then it's an instant fine.

Similar for the warning triangle - I had conflicting reports for these, but basically you must be able to grab it in seconds without ferreting through luggage. Cars like Mercs & BMWs have them on the inside of the boot lid. If you put it just inside the boot on top of everything then you should be ok.

Oh - and very few supermarket petrol stations will take a UK credit or debit card. This is a pain when it supermarket's shut and the attendant has gone home...

[Edited on 4/7/10 by David Jenkins]

Flamez

posted on 4/7/10 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Dont forget vehicle documentation;

insurance
log book
driving licence

my build mac1motorsports

craig1410

posted on 4/7/10 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the tips guys, some really good ones in there.

I'm insured with Admiral and it says on the policy doc that I don't need to phone them to arrange Europe cover, it is automatic. It also mentions Europe cover on the certificate so I think I'm okay.

On the high vis vest, the AA website says that I only require one vest but one for each passenger is recommended. Good tip to have it to hand though. I can get to it via the ski hatch into the boot so should be okay.

I'll make sure I have cash for the petrol stations and will watch my speed.

Any tips for keeping cool in the absence of air con in the car? What is most effective without resorting to open windows and that horrible fluttering sound which you get at speed? Can you get window mounted air scoops which get trapped between window and door top? Are fans in the car any good? I don't want to asphyxiate us all with dry ice in the air vents...

Cheers,
Craig.

2cv

posted on 4/7/10 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote but try and take a few quid in euro coins just in case you come accross any un manned booths.

In my experience, you can use your credit card at the Péages. It is all very easy.

More and more supermarket fuel stations accept our credit cards and I think you will get a better exchange rate on a credit card than on the rate you paid for your Euros.

dogwood

posted on 4/7/10 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410

On the high vis vest, the AA website says that I only require one vest but one for each passenger is recommended. Good tip to have it to hand though. I can get to it via the ski hatch into the boot so should be okay.

Cheers,
Craig.

One for each person in the car,
(Actually one for each person getting out the car)
And keep it in your door pocket or just under the seat.
If you do happen to be stopped, and asked where you hiviz is.
It needs to be instantly to hand.

With regards to credit cards.
My Visa card is accepted everywhere, inc all petrol stations.
It's the autofuel stations you may have probs with.
Most are ok, as I said it's the EssoExpress
I have some probs with.

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

jase380

posted on 8/7/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2cv
quote but try and take a few quid in euro coins just in case you come accross any un manned booths.

In my experience, you can use your credit card at the Péages. It is all very easy.

but takes a lot longer than chucking 6 euros into a basket... and we all love waiting behind people paying by card

2cv

posted on 9/7/10 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:but takes a lot longer than chucking 6 euros into a basket... and we all love waiting behind people paying by card

Charges are variable and the chuck it in the sack only works if you have the right money and you don't have to struggle into your pocket to search for it.

All you have to do with a credit card is to put it in the slot, it is returned instantly along with the payment slip. What could be easier and quicker than that?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.