Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Viento Lt77 position and gear lever
Irony

posted on 17/8/10 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Viento Lt77 position and gear lever

I am currently gathering the parts needed for my clutch/gearbox for my V8 Viento.

I have a Lt77 with the correct 2wd bellhousing. I have managed to find all the parts I need on the web all I need to do is buy them.

I am struggling on 1 part however. A gear lever and knob! For my application which gear lever works best? SD1? Landy? Does anyone know where I can purchase? Does anyone have one?

scudderfish

posted on 17/8/10 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
My Fury has an SD1 gearlever and an aftermarket knob if that is any help.
wilkingj

posted on 17/8/10 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
For the Gearknob, you HAVE to use a No.8 Pool Ball. (Assuming you have a V8 under the bonnet).

Just cut the gear lever to length.
Drill an appropriate sized hole in the ball.
Heat the Gear lever with a small blowlamp.
Smear Hotmelt glue on the gearlever.
Shove ball onto the lever, and orientate whilst still warm.

DONT put hot melt glue in the hole and try to put it on the lever, it cools too rapidly, hence warming the lever.

You then have a solidly fixed gearknob, at a fraction of the cost for a blingy looking one. (Got may ball fro less than £2.50 off ebay). Mine hasnt moved in 4 years and 6k miles.

LINKY

ok... Its gone up a tad in 5 years! BUT it's still cheap.

If you want to change or remove the ball, just re warm the gear lever, and the ball will come off.

Cant help you with the lever.

You can also put a kiddie 8-Ball (small size) on the DipStick for some extra bling!

Cheap and a real Locost option!

V8 Gear knob
V8 Gear knob

[Edited on 17/8/2010 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scudderfish

posted on 17/8/10 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
But I've got an engine start button under a flip cover on mine
Irony

posted on 17/8/10 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
These are very cool options for the gear lever. I will certainly think of doing something similar. However I don't have a lever to place a knob on!

scudderfish

posted on 17/8/10 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
What does it look like where your shaft should go? Post a photo.
rusty nuts

posted on 17/8/10 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't the LDV Convoy use a LT77 box?
Paul (Notts)

posted on 18/8/10 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Is it just the gear leaver you need or do you need the gear lever extension housing as well?

the sd1 extension places the gear lever in a good position,( but close to the end of the hand brake.) If you opt for the LDV extension its much shorter so the gear lever is too close to the dash, some people use it but bend the gear lever to help.

will post a pic of the sd1 extension. got mine from E bay.

Paul

rusty nuts

posted on 18/8/10 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Another option if you can find one is a 2.8 XJ6 IIRC
Irony

posted on 19/8/10 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
I have the remote gear extension from the SD1 along with the SD1 gearbox and bell housing. I just need the actual gear stick with the knob on the end. I thought this part would be easy to find.

scudderfish

posted on 19/8/10 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote

These are the only photos I could find with my naked gear knob/shaft. As far as I remember, the part that comes out of the ball is firmly affixed and I wasn't aware it was a separate part. Can you post a photo of what you currently have?

Irony

posted on 19/8/10 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

This is what I have. I now have in fact two SD1 gearboxes. One came free with the car and the other came with the bellhousing I bought. Both have SD1 remotes and neither have the actual gear lever. A bit annoying.

This particular remote seems to be the better of the two. I have now fully stripped, cleaned, degreased and regreased it. I am now sure how to set it up though. There seems to be adjustment screws.

scudderfish

posted on 19/8/10 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-Discovery-91-LT77-Gear-Stick-/180548959204?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM#ht_675wt_914
Irony

posted on 19/8/10 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Scudder. I have seen that on t'bay but without any reference to what the end actually looked like I was kinda hoping for a SD1 gear stick. Does this look the same as the one that fits into the SD1 Remote. If it does then Yippee, I shall Buy It Now.

wilkingj

posted on 19/8/10 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
That one on Ebay is missing the BALL part with the two pegs that goes in the housing along with the securing cup.
The two sprung clips sit over the pins sticking out the side of the ball, and they sit in the slots in the housing.
Make sure you get all of it.

This gives you a better piccy.
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID008963

[Edited on 19/8/2010 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
robinj66

posted on 19/8/10 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
You could try here for the gearlever

or here

and this should help with the setting up of the lever (and a complete overhaul of the 'box if you haven't anything else to do.

PS I know you are on the V8 owners forum - have a search there for a really useful way of washing out the gearbox )

Irony

posted on 20/8/10 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robinj66
You could try here for the gearlever

or here

and this should help with the setting up of the lever (and a complete overhaul of the 'box if you haven't anything else to do.

PS I know you are on the V8 owners forum - have a search there for a really useful way of washing out the gearbox )

I recognise your avatar from V8owners. I sometimes post on there to see if people can help. My next stop in the gearlever search was SD1 forums. Thanks for the links!

scudderfish

posted on 28/8/10 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know if it is too late, but I just had my tunnel top off so I snapped a few pics for you.

Irony

posted on 28/8/10 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
cheers scudder, I have managed to source a stick just like yours now so should be good

simonk

posted on 28/8/10 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hello Irony

To save you from some pain here's a few of my thoughts on getting my LT77 fitted.

Firstly if you want the engine well set back then you need to get the reverse detent mech behind the vertical 1" tube in the tunnel, that should leave you with about 3/4" between the back of the heads and the diagonal braces at the back of the engine bay. It's either that or 3" forward as the reverse detent will foul the upright. To do that you need to cut a section out of the gearbox mounting plate to avoid fouling the back of the 'box. Also I found that I wasn't happy wit hthe space available for the loom once the 'box was in so ran it over the top of one of the crossbraces in the tunnel and made up a raised cover for the lever mount. if using the Luego gearbox mount you'll find that the remote just fouls the top of the tunnel in places......

To get the SD1 lever to fall to hand I shortened it a bit and then put about 40 degrees of bend in just above the crimped bit.

Best of luck !
Simon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.