Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Nickel Plated Roll Cage
TimC

posted on 22/10/10 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Nickel Plated Roll Cage

My car is going to be quite classic in appearance. However, its getting a full cage. 60s roll hoops often appear to have a chrome/nickel finish. I know chrome is a no-no structurally but what about nickel plating?

plentywahalla

posted on 22/10/10 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Steel is usually nickel plated first and then chrome plated on top, that's why its often referred to as 'Nickel Chrome'.

So whatever makes Chrome a 'nono' would probably also apply to nickel ... but why is chrome a nono anyway?

Confused but excited.

posted on 22/10/10 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yes Tim, do tell, I'm intrigued to know as well.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

jacko

posted on 22/10/10 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
If i remember right people say don't use chrome on wishbones because you cant see if the tube gets a crack in it
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 22/10/10 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
A quick Google led me to:
http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/Forms-HIC/embrittlement.htm

steve m

posted on 22/10/10 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Make the cage in stainless, and polish it ???
bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 22/10/10 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
You'll be dead of natural causes first.
And how can H2 be injected by nickle plating?
If you are really worried attach another sacrificial cathode from a chandlers and let that produce the H2 remotely.
Forget natural causes, I would bet you'll win the lottery and get hit by a rogue satillite before you roll your car and get killed from an over hardened roll cage failure due to hydrogen injection.
Silver hammerite is an option though!

TimC

posted on 22/10/10 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
I've decided that the point is moot (or 'moo'* if you're a fan of Joey on friends.)

It won't look classic, it'll just look tarty. Its back to powdercoat for me.

*A 'moo' point is something that a cow would say, and therefore unimportant.

[Edited on 22/10/10 by TimC]

Ian-B

posted on 22/10/10 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
I've not used nickel plating for roll hoop, but have used it extensively on wishbones and subframes.

Hydrogen embrittlement should not normally be a concern as this is generally only a problem on steels with UTS exceeding 1000MPa (the reason why it is unusal to see fasteners grade 10.9 and above electroplated).

The bigger concern is ensuring that all (corrosive) process chemicals can be adequately drained from the structure, this can be resolved by positioning holes in the material capping the end of the tube or externally to prevent closed cavities.

I have found that with thin nickel coating crack testing is not effected, on the early S2 wishbones that were prone to fatigue after a couple of seasons, crack testing was successfully used and as the nickel is cathodic to the steel rust bleed is often present at the sight of cracks, obviously this is not an ideal situation for items that are rarely inspected / in a corrosive environment as failure will be accelerated.

Ian

TimC

posted on 22/10/10 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ian-B
I've not used nickel plating for roll hoop, but have used it extensively on wishbones and subframes.

Hydrogen embrittlement should not normally be a concern as this is generally only a problem on steels with UTS exceeding 1000MPa (the reason why it is unusal to see fasteners grade 10.9 and above electroplated).

The bigger concern is ensuring that all (corrosive) process chemicals can be adequately drained from the structure, this can be resolved by positioning holes in the material capping the end of the tube or externally to prevent closed cavities.

I have found that with thin nickel coating crack testing is not effected, on the early S2 wishbones that were prone to fatigue after a couple of seasons, crack testing was successfully used and as the nickel is cathodic to the steel rust bleed is often present at the sight of cracks, obviously this is not an ideal situation for items that are rarely inspected / in a corrosive environment as failure will be accelerated.

Ian

Thanks Ian. It was Bob's subframes that led me to the idea. Incidentally, do you have any experience of Leominster Powdercoat?

loggyboy

posted on 22/10/10 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Why not chrome powder coating?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carlfothergill/new/EMcolour%20chart%202010.pdf

hicost blade

posted on 23/10/10 at 12:47 AM Reply With Quote
Powder coat is the way mate, I have seen some done properly and it looks 99.9% real chrome, a much better finish than nickel.
Strontium Dog

posted on 24/10/10 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't worry about chrome on a roll bar. The embrittlement is negligible and the biggest problem with chrome is on parts that inherently flex, like chassis and wishbones. The problem is that steel will flex nicely but chrome won't, leading to cracks in the finish usually at welds. This in turn leads to a stress point where the chrome has failed and the possibility of further cracking or a sudden failure of the component at that point.

Your roll cage is not likely to be flexing enough to suffer from this! IMO

[Edited on 24/10/10 by Strontium Dog]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.