Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC gearbox reliability
40inches

posted on 24/2/11 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
BEC gearbox reliability

I have a Klicktronic fitted, but am having doubts about it, or any electronic change for that matter
So! how kind,or not, are these to the gearbox?
Is it down to user error i.e: Not allowing the change to fully complete before releasing the button that may cause the box grief?
Or are they just not a good idea?
Has anyone on here fitted one and had problems that can have be directly associated with the Klicktronic?
And lastly, are bike gearboxes generally reliable on a BEC?

JacksAvon

posted on 24/2/11 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Talk to Andy Bates at AB Performance.

Well know god of all things BEC and an all round good chap

ReMan

posted on 24/2/11 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
As I see your profile pic is a bike, I'm sure youll understand my concerns (not experience) would be, Would you change gear on your bike by hitting the lever with a big hammer?

In my experience bike gearboxes treated well are generally reliable

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

carpmart

posted on 24/2/11 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
The gearbox is the weak part of the BEC I race which has a 919 blade in it!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

coyoteboy

posted on 24/2/11 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
Using the kliktronics system should allow you to shift fairly gently as all you need to do is press the button for a slightly shorter time to not "ram it home", but it will take some getting used to I guess. It wouldn't be too hard to set up a strain gauge and assess the force and vary the power through the solenoid but I don't think their control is that detailed as yet, I'm sure they're working on it. Plenty of FS cars use similar systems but I suppose their demands are one day racing rather than 5 years driving.
tony-devon

posted on 24/2/11 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
plenty in use by disabled bikers

try searching online for any forums or info regarding NABD.

a guy in my village uses his daily, no problems.

I dont clutch my up shifts on the bikes, my zzr600 was ridden hard like this for 7 years, over 100k miles, and no noticable problems. a lot of the time I wouldnt clutch down either, just match engine speed and apply light pressure to the lever, and let it snick down went it wanted to.

from experience if a bike gearbox is going to give you trouble it will be from a machine thats been wheelied, 2nd gear jumping out is an indicator of this.

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
neo2

posted on 24/2/11 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
The kliktronic is progressive anyway isnt it its not just one hard hit of the soleniod its soft start or so im told, plenty been sold and ive got one on mine now, but not tried it properly, also added the flatshifter and throttle blipper systems to with pro shift padddle shifter..
daviep

posted on 24/2/11 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Using the kliktronics system should allow you to shift fairly gently as all you need to do is press the button for a slightly shorter time to not "ram it home", but it will take some getting used to I guess. It wouldn't be too hard to set up a strain gauge and assess the force and vary the power through the solenoid but I don't think their control is that detailed as yet, I'm sure they're working on it. Plenty of FS cars use similar systems but I suppose their demands are one day racing rather than 5 years driving.

The last thinkg you want to do is try to shift gently, I'm not saying be rough, but you need to be positive and move the lever all the way without hesitation or you end up missing gears and this will knacker the box as it then won't go into the next gear without clattering the dogs.

Most failures are from the dogs becoming rounded and then jumping out of gear, faults with the shifting mechanism are less common.

I would think that you are on the right lines thinking that most poor changes are from not holding the button until the change is complete or not getting the throttle action wrong, possibly getting on the gas before the change is complete.

When on bike or in car I change the same way, pressure on lever then lift off the accelerator for a split second and you get a perfect change every time. Obviously that's upshifting going down I generally use the clutch.

I have never used an electric shifter but I can't see why they would be rough on the gearbox, the leverage and force of a gear lever on the original bike will probably produce more force than the electric solenoids used.

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.