Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Isn't this illegal ?
slingshot2000

posted on 9/4/11 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't this illegal ?

1962 MK1 MINI RESTORATION PROJECT | eBay UK

Surely this is just the sale of an identity which could be used to cover up the theft of someoned pride and joy ?

I thought you could report this to ebay and they would pull it, cannot see how.

Jon

Found it and reported it !

[Edited on 9/4/11 by slingshot2000]

Eternal

posted on 9/4/11 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Well from what i see they are still selling the rotten shell. I once bought and semi restored a old Corolla ex rally corolla not as bad as that but not too far off.
Tho is should really have the vin plate still on the chassis.

owelly

posted on 9/4/11 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing wrong with selling a restoration project as long as the ID matches the rotton shell. Just replace the shell with a Heritage one and job jobbed. However, chances are that the ID will end up on a random Mini.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 9/4/11 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
I can guarantee that shell doesnt exist in anything other than that photo.
Technically a dodgy ID switch but in an almost legal way!

The Modfather

posted on 9/4/11 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
You cannot just buy a car's identity. That is no different to ringing a car. If this was registered at the DVLA on a heritage shell as suggested, then the engine number and chassis number from that "heap" would have to come with it, otherwise there is the extremely strong possibilty that the index plates shown would be taken from the system and shown as scrapped, as that is really what that car is now, scrap.

He can sell the number plate, but not the V5 for ID purposes, ILLEGAL 100%

That is another reason why Ebay no longer sell blank VIN plates.

As also stated, I can see what will happen, and someone will end up either out of pocket in a sale for what really is rubbish, or someone will have a prang and when the insurance man comes down, the policy will be void.

Well done Jon for reporting it!

loggyboy

posted on 9/4/11 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Modfather
He can sell the number plate, but not the V5 for ID purposes, ILLEGAL 100%

Cant sell the plate without an MOT on the car, if the ID is lost, so is the plate.

StevieB

posted on 9/4/11 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Couple of replacement sills and it'll be OK anyway, don't know what the fuss is about...
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/4/11 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
Couple of replacement sills and it'll be OK anyway, don't know what the fuss is about...

yeah some of my beetle's have been about as held together as that, felt like the Incredible Hulk ripping the sills of with my bare hands

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 10/4/11 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
Tell me the difference between this sale or where pretty much every world rally team in business does.
Moving the ID from one wrecked car to another.

I see this as very different to someone buying a Dutton, selling the hulk as not road registered, then keeping the ID (illegaly) for their new seven type car. (List of potential cars deliberately left out).
In this case, the car has never been properly assessed like the rules clearly dictate.

There's no question that what the guys in the ad are selling are selling is fundamentally the same as private punters do in sheds all over the country.
If they have more than one wreck, it all goes back together as one good car, the junk gets thrown away, the good spares kept and the best ID used. The other ID gets scrapped. You're allowed to uses new and second hand spare after all.
I fail to see any problem with this. Especially when it comes to an old Mini.

Not many people are going to admit to it, but it's happening all over the shop and it's not always dodgy looking geezers with tattoos and pit bulls, it happens in the nice leafy suburbs too.

-------------

Edited to add.

If it leads to the benefit of a car thief of any sort, then it goes without saying that is out of order.

[Edited on 10/4/11 by zilspeed]

ianclark1275

posted on 10/4/11 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
its no different to building a locost with an age related plate using the points system and then upgrading the engine and drive train later?

there is then nothing left of the age related identity.

what the difference between a rusty scrap shell which needs replacing and having an accident in your car which means it needs a reshell?

IC

measure twice, cut once, scrap it, start again.

mad-butcher

posted on 10/4/11 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
OK shameless bastard me is, mines registered as MAKE: MK. MODEL: INDY, who/what is going to stop me buying a indy r or the one I really fancy a GTR (spire) building it the way I want then just putting my plates on it, answer: no-one, reason :I built it and named the original car, does swansea have a picture of my indy no

tony

mad4x4

posted on 10/4/11 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
if you can't fix it with Gaffer tape (Duct Tape) - your obviously not using enough....

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

woodster

posted on 10/4/11 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
So if we built one car on here, then IVA it , then use that car to pass the IVA for all the rest, all the cars would have to be the same make and colour , simple
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 10/4/11 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woodster
So if we built one car on here, then IVA it , then use that car to pass the IVA for all the rest, all the cars would have to be the same make and colour , simple

Or just register it as 'Locost' 'Multi-Coloured' as I did with my track car and we'll ll be happy.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.