Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is Stoneleigh getting too expensive?
David Jenkins

posted on 15/4/11 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Is Stoneleigh getting too expensive?

I was thinking about going to Stoneleigh this year, but not in the toy car - my missus recently had a minor op and can't travel in it without some discomfort. Certainly not for 150 miles at a time!!

So I thought I'd take the tin-top... but then I started to work out the cost...

Petrol - it's a round trip of about 300 miles, which will add up to £25+ each way, so £50 approx.
Entry - 2 adults, £30
Rubbish food and a warm beer each - £20

So, probably around £100 to drive across the middle of England on a Bank Holiday, queue up for ages to get in, a few hours wandering around looking at nice cars (the good bit), a few hours moaning about the lack of decent car-related stalls and the proliferation of trash ones, then a long tedious drive home in heavy traffic on boring roads.

I'm not building at the moment, so I don't have a shopping list.

I'm not sure that I can raise the enthusiasm...

Am I alone? Am I turning into Victor Meldrew?

carpmart

posted on 15/4/11 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
All good comments from Mr David 'Meldrew' Jenkins!!

Its the only decent event so its a must go in my book!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

marcjagman

posted on 15/4/11 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
It is a bit pricey for a day out, £90 fuel and entry, but we've never been before so we're going and taking our own food and drink with us. It's not the cost of the entry that bothers me so much as the damn fuel price to get there.
omega0684

posted on 15/4/11 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
take you own food and drink and eat in at the car, thats -£20

"fuel £25 each way" Get a more economical car, my astra diesel does 250 miles plus on £25

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
graememk

posted on 15/4/11 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684

"fuel £25 each way" Get a more economical car, my astra diesel does 250 miles plus on £25

you arnt driving fast enough then....

nick205

posted on 15/4/11 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Not been for few years primarily due to time/family/other constraints. Thought about going this year for a day out, but can't justify the fuel cost. Food and drink don't figure as I always pack my own any way.

big_l

posted on 15/4/11 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Jesus £25 to 250 miles I just bought a m3 convertible and I filled the tank £84 and driving steady on cruise control managed 270 miles
I then filled it up again and was blasting about some b roads and used z tank in 180 miles
Oh well good fun though

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

coozer

posted on 15/4/11 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
The only thing that's really changed is the cost of petrol...

Entry is the same as last year and travel costs have gone up for everyone. Cost of travelling down to Stoneleigh for me has gone up from £1.10 to £1.30/l for me, same as every one.

I don't see that as an excuse not to come! Weather is already much better than the last 2 years and I'm looking forward to it and meeting up with fellow locosters....

Its only 2 days so not much food required?? I'm simple in that a couple of pot noodles and some pastry goods from the supermarket, maybe a couple of yoghurts?? Oh, and some whiskey, coke and bottles of water

Its a 400 mile round trip for us and we are all chatting about it and looking forward....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

RazMan

posted on 15/4/11 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I would not go unless it was in my toy car - free admission makes it worth the trip .... but only just these days. All the shows are getting too 'samey' with no real changes to the usual suspects. MEV are about the only really new manufacturer at the moment aren't they?

I'm still addicted though

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Richard Quinn

posted on 16/4/11 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684

Wouldn't getting another car for the trip just make it an even more expensive day out?

omega0684

posted on 16/4/11 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_l
Jesus £25 to 250 miles I just bought a m3 convertible and I filled the tank £84 and driving steady on cruise control managed 270 miles
I then filled it up again and was blasting about some b roads and used z tank in 180 miles
Oh well good fun though

over a tank of fuel i can average about 55/56 miles per gallon, in the winter its more like 52/53 but im starting to see about 540+ Miles to a tank

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

adithorp

posted on 16/4/11 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
What never changes is... a thread every year about it being too expensive!

If the Mrs can't go in the kit, don't take her. Thats £30 entry saved plus her food. She'll probably be happy not to be spending the day with a grumpy old git anyway.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

David Jenkins

posted on 16/4/11 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
If the Mrs can't go in the kit, don't take her. Thats £30 entry saved plus her food. She'll probably be happy not to be spending the day with a grumpy old git anyway.

In normal circumstances she likes travelling around in the toy car, so if I didn't take her my life wouldn't be worth living...

ashg

posted on 16/4/11 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
why would you want to take the other half? Mercedes from hollyoaks will be there on monday, you wont be able to say hello to her her if you bring your oher half

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

coozer

posted on 16/4/11 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
How much will the hotel be this year Ash?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

big_wasa

posted on 16/4/11 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
hmm still thinking about it.
ken555

posted on 16/4/11 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Count yourself lucky you live so close.

It's 633 miles there and 633 miles home for me.
Plus one, or maybe two nights hotel accommodation, as I want a shower/nice bed after that distance.

But it's only once a year. So why not.

RichardK

posted on 16/4/11 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
How much will the hotel be this year Ash?

pmsl

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 17/4/11 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ken555
Count yourself lucky you live so close.

It's 633 miles there and 633 miles home for me.
Plus one, or maybe two nights hotel accommodation, as I want a shower/nice bed after that distance.

But it's only once a year. So why not.

You are a wee bit further north than us but we are taking the golf to Stoney the long way round.
I'm going to visit some rellys down that way as well.

Hopefully this time next year we will have purchased an elise.

greenwood03

posted on 17/4/11 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
dont see Stoneleigh as being different to any other 'event' car related or otehrwise. Can't imagine not going to a concert because the cost of getting there is too high! Food/drink at just about any public show is relatively expensive - that's the accepted downside of not taking a picnic/bbq or whatever else.
I suppose everyone has a slightly different reason for attending these car shows, would be builders, people who want to visit the parts/trade stands, those who want to catch up with pals from other parts of the country or who like looking at a collection of 'kits' and of course those that use it as a great excuse for a run out in their toy - personally if i wasn't travelling there with a group of pals which gives the chance for banter then i wouldnt bother. Not because of the cost, but because i'd rather be driving the car, not parking it up for 2 days.

http://southernkitcars.comIntermarque Club for owners in the South/South East

Ferg

posted on 20/4/11 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've been going to Stoneleigh since the '80s. Always camp. (Used to be over on the righthand side 'til all those bloody Caterhams started turning up... )
I always pay on entrance and feed myself with a big breakfast, followed in the evening by burnt meat with the club. Sure, my beer costs are sometimes a bit high, but otherwise it's cheap enough! About 240 miles there and back, 40mpg+...

ChrisW

posted on 20/4/11 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
My main issue with Stoneleigh is that it's the same stuff every year. The only reason for going is to catch up with people. It's not even as if you can buy cheap tools or parts any more - eBay is perfectly good for that.

Interesting that the two 'up North' people who have posted so far would be prepared to travel to Stoneleigh but others have said they'd not travel to an LB club weekend event.

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/16/viewthread.php?tid=152738

(Not necessarily saying that the opinion is shared by all, just interesting to note)

Chris

[Edited on 4/20/2011 by ChrisW]

ken555

posted on 4/5/11 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
OK lets add up what it cost me for the weekend.

Fuel for 1185.2 miles - £171.79
Hotel for 2 nights - £51.00
Food - £16.84

Total = £239.63

mistergrumpy

posted on 4/5/11 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
My cost:
£30 entry for two
£60 fuel

Total £90

We took our own food and were going to drive home but the weather was nice and we saw a pub as we left so decided to stay nearby in Travel Lodge in Coventry and went to Coventry city centre on the Monday. What a dump, wished I could have gone back to the show, the weather was great for the first time in 4-5 years that I've been going.

hucky

posted on 4/5/11 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
between me and my friend we managed to spend a total of nearly 300 between us, but that include food that we took and bought their. few bits we bought, 60 entery managing to just about keep up when adithorp let us lol.

tbh fuel was probs the cheapest part of our trip. less than 25 from manchester and back

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.