Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: What paint?
Michael

posted on 17/4/11 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
What paint?

I have painted the chassis in Bonda Primer for protection and now intend to paint it ready for the road.

What is the best paint to paint the chassis? Enamal or normal chassis paint?

Thank you.

cliftyhanger

posted on 17/4/11 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
This afternoon I have been painting my (spitfire) chassis with synthetic paint, over bondaprimer. The synthetic is less likely to chip etc than celly or 2k. It is often sold as chassis paint. 2 1/2 litres £20, looks like I will have plenty for a second coat and all the suspension parts. And the inside of the car and..................

Only my preference of course, but I would def avoid hammerite and such stuff.

matt_gsxr

posted on 17/4/11 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
POR15 is spoken of very favourably and is what I used when touching up my powdercoat after welding.
I bought a kit from Frosts and it has lasted very well.

Agreed on the frailties of Hammerite.

contaminated

posted on 18/4/11 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
I'd use POR15 if I was doing it again. I wouldn't use Hammerite unless it was a quick touch up job and directly to rust.

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

cliftyhanger

posted on 18/4/11 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think POR15 is supposed to be painted over primer, rather direct on metal. Also heard it doesn't stick well to smooth steel needs the surface scuffing/blasting or best over cleaned up slightly pitted stuff.
iank

posted on 18/4/11 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
I don't think POR15 is supposed to be painted over primer, rather direct on metal. Also heard it doesn't stick well to smooth steel needs the surface scuffing/blasting or best over cleaned up slightly pitted stuff.

Correct POR15 is an undercoat/primer as it's not UV stable, they sell hardnose paint to go over the top to get a good finish, or tie coat and whatever top coat you like.
In my experience if you want any paint (except etch primer which does the job with acid) to stick long term on new steel you need to rough it up a little to give it a key, I've found using a flap disc in an angle grinder gently is the quickest way. The makers of POR15 recommend using marine clean (industrial detergent) followed by an acid etch (metal ready) to prep new steel ready for the POR15. It's very very tough when applied according to the instructions - but also very expensive for the full system partly as you can only get it through a couple of places in the UK.

Usually the biggest problem with powdercoat is lack of prep since a lot of places can't be bothered to blast a complex structure like a spaceframe properly.

Synthetic over a decent primer is certainly a lot more cost effective.

ETA: If you're not spraying using a gloss mini-roller works much better than any brush for a regular square-tube spaceframe.

[Edited on 18/4/11 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

deltron63

posted on 18/4/11 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I used KBS Rustseal on my MGB. I'm really happy with the results.
I heard a lot of bad things about POR15

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 18/4/11 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
POR 15 works with a etcher- you clean back the metal, etch it and paint it. It is very good stuff, used it on the bottom of my old mini when I was restoring it. Just don't get it on your hands- it won't wash out, only grow out!

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

matt_gsxr

posted on 18/4/11 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
sorry, POR15 is only on raw metal.

I bought the small kit from Frosts that includes marine clean and the phosphating acid stuff. You do have to do it properly but when done properly it really sticks.

Michael

posted on 18/4/11 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Yes i did read the write up on POR15 and it made out it was to go direct onto rough metal.

I was going to get the Enamel paint, but will definately go for Chassis paint.

Where did you get it from Cliftyhanger? Do they do Red as i was looking at painting the Chassis Gloss Red and body Dark Green with Yellow stripe.

alistairolsen

posted on 19/4/11 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Which of the many POR 15 Products are people referring to?

My Build Thread

iank

posted on 19/4/11 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
Which of the many POR 15 Products are people referring to?

This is the one I've used
http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=9609&frostProductName=Gray%20POR%2015%20Rust%20Prevention%20Paint%20(473ml)

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

wilkingj

posted on 19/4/11 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Although my Luego is powder coated, in days gone by I used Chassis Paint from my local Agricultural Merchant, who assured me it was a tough as old boots and Pig P*ss proof as well!.
Never had any problems with it on the Landy!

POR15 from Frosts is good, provided you follow the instructions, and use the right top coats etc.

As with ANY paint, or coating, the Final Job is ONLY as good as the quality of Prep work.
Good prep will yield good results. Skimp on the prep, and it will give a poor finish. (That snippet comes from my drinking partner who is Foreman Sprayer at Marshalls Special Bodies Divn.)

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.