Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: .. IVA Today... Mitcham.
locostbuyer83

posted on 10/5/11 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
.. IVA Today... Mitcham.

Been and done my IVA today.

Not good news.

Emissions were way out and the tester spent about half on hour trying to take samples but the engine got way too hot and a Y joint on the hose split. Water everywhere and the end of the test.

doh. Its also classed as failure to complete test which means I've got to pay the test fee again!

Everything else he could see on the car was fine except the following:

Fuel cap - needs to be tethered or have a key that cannot be removed when open

Sleeve on track rod ends - Needs to be shrink wrap or caterham type - not the type on cbsonline

Spin the clamps on the exaust round a bit to miss the sphere

grind the headlight mounts to meet the 2.5mm radius... trim wasn't good enough.

Thats all he tested as the car was not moving.

Oh well. Could be worse.

Emissions: Should I get one of these?
NITRO X FUEL COMMANDER GET POWER : ZX-12R, ZX 1200R | eBay UK
Nitro X Fuel Commander

or just one of these:
Kawasaki ZX12 R 02 - 03 Dynojet Power Commander | eBay UK

The tester was a nice guy and very friendly. Just a shame the engine was out of action.

speedyxjs

posted on 10/5/11 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Shame about the fail but at least you have a 'to do' list, and the self centering was ok

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

blakep82

posted on 10/5/11 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
ouch, thats terrible a real shame, thought you were going to do well with it

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Bumble

posted on 10/5/11 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear about your test experiemce today......especially having to pay the full amount again!!
Good luck next time.
Matt

40inches

posted on 10/5/11 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
What an ares Didn't realise the point of having to pay in full, doesn't even give you a fail list
Pity you don't live nearer, I have a Lucas emissions tester on permanent loan from a friend with a MOT station.

big_wasa

posted on 10/5/11 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
I feel your pain with the 900 quid iva cost.
locostbuyer83

posted on 10/5/11 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Sorted the overheating. Was an air lock in the system. Now just gotta sort the emissions.

Least I now know what to expect on a test.

rb968

posted on 10/5/11 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Bloody bad luck !

Just posted my forms off to VOSA so was watching your previous thread with great interest, sorry to hear it didn't got well.

Can you clarify what you mean on the track rod end covers and I assume your headlight mounts are the same as mine so I'd best grind them as I have put u-trim round and tie wrapped across it to ensure it stays on.

Edited to say that I have done almost exactly the same on the headlight mounts so will be sorting that!

Rich

[Edited on 10/5/11 by rb968]

David Jenkins

posted on 10/5/11 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Bad luck...

Do you really forfeit the whole fee? I failed to turn up at my first SVA (oil pressure problems on the way to the test), was told that I'd lost the fee but also told that I could ask for a partial refund - ended up losing around £50.

Maybe it's different if he's actually started the test. Worth asking, anyway...

[Edited on 10/5/11 by David Jenkins]

locostbuyer83

posted on 10/5/11 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rb968
Bloody bad luck !

Just posted my forms off to VOSA so was watching your previous thread with great interest, sorry to hear it didn't got well.

Can you clarify what you mean on the track rod end covers and I assume your headlight mounts are the same as mine so I'd best grind them as I have put u-trim round and tie wrapped across it to ensure it stays on.

Edited to say that I have done almost exactly the same on the headlight mounts so will be sorting that!

Rich

[Edited on 10/5/11 by rb968]

Yes the crappy rubber covers from CBS are no good according to my tester. Some shrink wrap or s/e tape would be ok.

headlight mounts - yes i used u-trim but he said its not permanent enough so said just grind the edge to meet the 2.5m radius.

locostbuyer83

posted on 10/5/11 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Bad luck...

Do you really forfeit the whole fee? I failed to turn up at my first SVA (oil pressure problems on the way to the test), was told that I'd lost the fee but also told that I could ask for a partial refund - ended up losing around £50.

Maybe it's different if he's actually started the test. Worth asking, anyway...

[Edited on 10/5/11 by David Jenkins]

I'll ask when I call for the retest but we spent about 2 hours doing the test so I don't think i'll get anything back.

franky

posted on 10/5/11 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to read the above

surely a full retest fee is a bit harsh?

stevegough

posted on 10/5/11 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Whoa! not a good day at all, very sorry to hear of your 'failure to complete the test' - bad situation, I am also surprised you have to pay the full fee again - can you lodge an appeal on the grounds of unforseen circumstances or something? £450 is expensive, but £900 is mafia - like robbery!

At least you've come away with a bit of a list to work to.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

Promai Joe

posted on 11/5/11 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Hi and sorry to hear about your fail.

I too had a test at Mitchem and he questioned the heat shrink around the steering linkage, he nealy failed this but let it go, I was not quite sure what eles I could have done. I have a retest on Friday, so hope my remiedial works are sufficient.

If it is any consolation mine failed on the first item (chassis number placement), completely my fault but the worst start you could possibly have, I just knew from then on it could not really get any better!

I suppose the only bonus to my '76 pinto lump is the ease of emissions test.

Don't be put off, your car looked brilliant (very jealous - love the green) and it will be worth the effort and expenditure come your first sideways adventure

locostbuyer83

posted on 11/5/11 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Promai Joe
Hi and sorry to hear about your fail.

I too had a test at Mitchem and he questioned the heat shrink around the steering linkage, he nealy failed this but let it go, I was not quite sure what eles I could have done. I have a retest on Friday, so hope my remiedial works are sufficient.

If it is any consolation mine failed on the first item (chassis number placement), completely my fault but the worst start you could possibly have, I just knew from then on it could not really get any better!

I suppose the only bonus to my '76 pinto lump is the ease of emissions test.

Don't be put off, your car looked brilliant (very jealous - love the green) and it will be worth the effort and expenditure come your first sideways adventure

If you want to post any pics of your updates I'm sure myself and the others can double check.

I did get to do a small run around that massive building yesterday and it was the first time I'd driven the car so that made my day!

I've sorted all the other points the chap picked up on, now its just sorting out the tuning and finding the money for a new test.

locostbuyer83

posted on 11/5/11 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
This is the form that the tester gave me....

Michael

posted on 11/5/11 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
I passed my IVA with Ian at Mitcham in early April after an original failure in November.

Ian is good and does always advise what to do when it fails.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.