Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: locost cosworth turbo
spiderman

posted on 22/5/11 at 01:22 AM Reply With Quote
locost cosworth turbo

Hi all,
Does anyone know if HICOST'S chassis is a standard width Ron Champion book chassis or is it wider?
I have sent him a u2u but I expect he's a very busy man as I have had no reply from him.
I hope that he does not take offense to this post as that is the last thing I would wish to do, as he most probably has a very good reason for not answering.
All I just want to know if my cosworth will fit into my locost chassis, before removing 2 engines only to find it is not possible and have to refit both engines back into the cars they came out of.

Spider

snapper

posted on 22/5/11 at 04:50 AM Reply With Quote
A Pinto will fit, a Zetec will fit, the only difficulty would be the turbo fouling steering column and or side chassis rail.
A custom manifold could drop the turbo down, perhaps some Dax style side vents to give clearance.
Fitting an intercooler will always need some creative thinking.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

jacko

posted on 22/5/11 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
I know of someone that fitted a cozzy engine in a mk indy he had to alter the chassis around the bellhousing area so he could move the engine back to stop the turbo hitting the side rail
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hicost

posted on 22/5/11 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Hello

Sorry I did get your U2U I opened it a week or so ago and got totally side tracked.

Nope it’s not a standard chassis. It is 6" to 8" wider than a standard one and the design of the front is also different.

I should think you could get away with 4" wider but it will all be very tight.

Lots to consider like the T5 box is bigger so if you use a standadish chassis your foot well will be small. All in all just change the chassis design to suit.

Email me your email details and I can send you some chassis pics.

Regards

James

"I cant do that without accidentally grabbing hold of the work of the divine potter"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
spiderman

posted on 22/5/11 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hi James,
I thought that if I could drop the cosworth in with minor alterations that is what I could go for, but I think I will just stick with my original idea and put it into my Triumph gt6 and keep my x/flow in my Locost.

I am short on time as I am trying to get things sorted to emigrate to NZ and need them to be road registered for 12 months to be able to export them as personal imports for less grief when I get down there.

So I had better go and get on with it as the wind here is buggering up my BBC signal and the F1 race is unwatchable, typical! Hope the wind dies down later so I can the Watch it on channel 301.

Many thanks for your help and all the best with all your projects.

Spider

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.