Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA Fail Today at Leighton Buzzard
Bumble

posted on 22/6/11 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
IVA Fail Today at Leighton Buzzard

Failed IVA today at Leighton Buzzard but not bad me thinks!!
Doug at Leighton Buzzard was very thorough yet fair.

1) Main Fail was Emissions. It passed Lambda at 0.998, passed fast idle 0.06, failed natural idle 4.98%!! I did notice that for whatever reason the car was idling at 1240 rpm vs it's normal 1000 ish. Doug said it was rich at this idle so I need to check MS setting and VE table.

2) Failed on Indirect Vision - Drivers Mirror - as could not see approx the first 2 feet of the Red line at curb level seen in the picture behind the car. I need to look at a mirror I can fit on the cage. Anyone recommend one?

[img] Indirect Vision
Indirect Vision
[/img]

3) Interior Fittings - Gear Lever surround does not have 2.5mm radius. See pic.

[img] Gearlever Surround
Gearlever Surround
[/img]

4) Exterior Projections (Rear Reflectors) - does not have 2.5mm radius. See pic.

[img] Rear Reflectors
Rear Reflectors
[/img]

5) Headlamps - The beam image kicj up was to off side. Attached is pic of the lens.....Tester thought that this was a Left Hand Drive Headlamp. Got these yonks ago from Premier Wiring (Alan). How does this lens pattern compare to others?

[img] Headlamp
Headlamp"Kick Up"
[/img]

Only other point was that the upper ball joint threads did not go past/through the nyloc. In fact a few mm short of the nylon part of the nut. Can't see a way round this other than different ball joints with longer threaded stud. They're for Cortin uprights by the way. Any suggestions?

Car weighed in at 324kg front axle, 296kg rear. Initially failed brake test but after being allowed to warm the brakes in the car park the re-test passed with flying colours. Noise was 95db. Self centering was fine.

All in all not a bad experience and Doug was very complimentary of the build quality.

Need to sort these bits out pronto and get it re-tested although off to the pub now for a well earned pint!

Thanks to all so far and look forward to your comments and advice.

Cheers,
Matt

PS - took the long way home....what a blast even if it was p1ssing it down.

franky

posted on 22/6/11 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thats not too bad.

Longacre make a great cage mirror that lets you see about 50% more than required. I've my retest on tuesday, if it passes i'll happily lend you my mirror for your re-test. I've filed the edges to meet radius requirements.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 22/6/11 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
As said already, not a bad fail, should easily get it next time around

I must admit, I keep worrying about indirect vision (along with everything else about the IVA). I wish there was a diagram of the line & post layout they use for the mirror check so we could 'practice' before the test and adjust as needed before getting to the centre.

Good luck for the re-test

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Bumble

posted on 22/6/11 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
That's a great offer.....thanks. Is that a side mirror or the rear view mirror as I already have a 14" longacre rear view mirror. Let me know,
Thanks,
Matt

quote:
Originally posted by franky
Thats not too bad.

Longacre make a great cage mirror that lets you see about 50% more than required. I've my retest on tuesday, if it passes i'll happily lend you my mirror for your re-test. I've filed the edges to meet radius requirements.

matt_gsxr

posted on 22/6/11 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Not many people go to Leighton Buzzard and don't fail on some edge or another.

Sounds like a "good fail" to me. Doug is a good guy isn't he.

franky

posted on 22/6/11 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bumble
That's a great offer.....thanks. Is that a side mirror or the rear view mirror as I already have a 14" longacre rear view mirror. Let me know,
Thanks,
Matt

quote:
Thats not too bad.

Bugger it is a rear view mirror. My testers commented on how good they were as they cover so much.

Bumble

posted on 22/6/11 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all the same. The longacre rearview didn't cover all the indirect field of vision but did mean that I don't need a n/side mirror.
Do you know if Longacre do cage mounted side mirrors??
Cheers,
Matt

quote:
quote:
Thanks,
Matt

quote:
Thats not too bad.

Bugger it is a rear view mirror. My testers commented on how good they were as they cover so much.

BenB

posted on 22/6/11 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Is the top BJ cone fully engaged into the upright? My nut wasn't (in fact I went as far as getting a spare nut to grind the bottom off so it would be fully engaged into the nylon part). But when I jacked the car up via the upright and put the rattle gun on the nut it wound on nicely a bit further until it had two threads protruding nicely.
Bumble

posted on 22/6/11 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ben,
Yep I've checked this already. They're fully engaged. What ball jpoints do you have?
Cheers,
Matt

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Is the top BJ cone fully engaged into the upright? My nut wasn't (in fact I went as far as getting a spare nut to grind the bottom off so it would be fully engaged into the nylon part). But when I jacked the car up via the upright and put the rattle gun on the nut it wound on nicely a bit further until it had two threads protruding nicely.

franky

posted on 22/6/11 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thanks all the same. The longacre rearview didn't cover all the indirect field of vision but did mean that I don't need a n/side mirror.
Do you know if Longacre do cage mounted side mirrors??
Cheers,
Matt

quote:
quote:
Thanks,
Matt

quote:
Thats not too bad.

I've seen some somewhere. I welded a tab on the cage to mount normal mirrors on. Just an idea?

Michael

posted on 22/6/11 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same trouble with the Ball joint, but noticed this before going to test (I failed test by the way)

I went and brought another ball joint and that had a longer thread. The ones i had first i brought when i started the build, but had not fitted to the car.

daniel mason

posted on 22/6/11 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
i have the same gear stick surround as you as well as a matching handbrake surround so i suppose im in double trouble!
any solutions to this as im awaiting iva date at the moment\?

also mk sell cage mounted mirrors. look at austin mans pics of the 2011 race car as these are the ones they sell

[Edited on 22/6/11 by daniel mason]

big_wasa

posted on 22/6/11 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Not bad that Matt,

Differant makes of bj seem to have differant lengths of thread. Easy fix.

Stick some half nyloc nuts on

change the joint

ream the upright / mushroom ( sierra)

[Edited on 22/6/11 by big_wasa]

Bumble

posted on 22/6/11 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Michael,
Don't spose you know which ones you bought that had the longer thread do you?
Cheers,
Matt

quote:
Originally posted by Michael
I had the same trouble with the Ball joint, but noticed this before going to test (I failed test by the way)

I went and brought another ball joint and that had a longer thread. The ones i had first i brought when i started the build, but had not fitted to the car.

Bumble

posted on 22/6/11 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Daniel.
I'll give MK a call and see what they're charging for them and how they attach. I only need the one though.

Regarding the gearstick surround if you look in my archive at the handbrake surround it's very flat in comparison to the Gearlever one. This is fine for IVA and I have another one the same that I'll fit on the gaiter from the CBS one that failed. The tester reckoned that'd be fine.

Hope this helps, but of you need any better pics let me know.

Cheers,
Matt
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
i have the same gear stick surround as you as well as a matching handbrake surround so i suppose im in double trouble!
any solutions to this as im awaiting iva date at the moment?

also mk sell cage mounted mirrors. look at austin mans pics of the 2011 race car as these are the ones they sell

[Edited on 22/6/11 by daniel mason]

Bumble

posted on 22/6/11 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Antone got an idea about the headlight beam issue?? How does the lens on my light compare to everyone elses?? Do you have to rotate the lens (I thought this wasn't acceptable??).

Thanks,

Matt

stevegough

posted on 22/6/11 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Antone got an idea about the headlight beam issue?? How does the lens on my light compare to everyone elses?? Do you have to rotate the lens (I thought this wasn't acceptable??).

Thanks,

Matt

Description
Description

Just taken this photo of mine, can't help further, the markings seem similar (but E4 instead of E10).

Otherwise, quite a 'good fail'.

I'm surprised he didn't fail you on noise - 95db is far too quiet

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

Andybarbet

posted on 22/6/11 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Bumble,
Regarding the headlights, is it worth putting another set on just to get it through IVA ??

Im only in Stevenage & have a pair of 7" black caterham headlights that you could borrow for a few weeks if need be. Im at the bare chassis stage but picked them up a few months ago ready for when i need them.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

John Bonnett

posted on 22/6/11 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Only other point was that the upper ball joint threads did not go past/through the nyloc. In fact a few mm short of the nylon part of the nut. Can't see a way round this other than different ball joints with longer threaded stud. They're for Cortin uprights by the way. Any suggestions?

An easy way to get round this problem is to turn back the face of the nut (not the nyloc end). We are not talking much here to bring the thread out an acceptable amount. It's a common problem and you are not alone.

John

Bumble

posted on 23/6/11 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Further to my post yesterday and my IVA fail on headlamp beam pattern......... having spoken to Alan at Premier Wiring it is now evident that he sent me the wrong headlamps as I have LHD lenses (there's an arrow on the lens which indicates this).

Lucky this wasn't the only fail point as I would be a tad miffed. Nevertheless Alan is sending me out new, correct lenses today so quick fix!!

HTH,
Matt

loggyboy

posted on 23/6/11 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Further to my post yesterday and my IVA fail on headlamp beam pattern......... having spoken to Alan at Premier Wiring it is now evident that he sent me the wrong headlamps as I have LHD lenses (there's an arrow on the lens which indicates this).

Lucky this wasn't the only fail point as I would be a tad miffed. Nevertheless Alan is sending me out new, correct lenses today so quick fix!!

HTH,
Matt

I thought the arrow was supposed to point to the nearside (which they do?)
Have you checked the bulb is firmly located in the right place?

Bumble

posted on 23/6/11 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:

HTH,
Matt

I thought the arrow was supposed to point to the nearside (which they do?)
Have you checked the bulb is firmly located in the right place?

That's what I thought but Alan assures me that when looking at the lens face on, the arrow should point to the left whereas mine point to the right. I checked this with him 3 times!!
Bulbs are all correctly seated and the image kick up is the same for both headlamps.

stevegough

posted on 23/6/11 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Your arrow and my arrow both point the same way- to the nearside....see the two photos.
big_wasa

posted on 23/6/11 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^^^ Same as mine aswell Matt ????
Bumble

posted on 23/6/11 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
Your arrow and my arrow both point the same way- to the nearside....see the two photos.

Steve......You didn't buy yours from Premier as well did you.........

I'm at a loss. All I know is Alan tells me the arrow should point to the left when you view the headlamp from the front. Mine point to the right. The IVA Tester said the pattern was good just that the kick up was in the wrong direction.

I'll soon have the other set so will know more.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.