Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: tin top madness
jabbahutt

posted on 30/6/11 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
tin top madness

Afternoon all

need some advice on car insurance for the daily run around.

1987 1.4 Nova merit (with boot) 51,00 genuine miles. I'm 43 no convictions, clean licence for 23 years.

Renewal turned up £340 for a year!!!!

That's nearly £100 more than a 2.0 golf and £220 more than my kit car insurance.

Any ideas? I used to pay around £100 and no circumstances have changed. What's stupis is the company who caover the kit car can't get anywhere near the kit car price for a Nova with restriction on miles etc.

Any help appreciated.

blakep82

posted on 30/6/11 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
my insurance renewal has gone from £380 when i first got my current bmw 328, now at £560 1 accident in that time, but i've now got the same no claims as i had when i started with this car. not impressed. going to have a few serious questions for them...

oh and i used to have cover to drive other peoples cars, but not any more

[Edited on 30/6/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

loggyboy

posted on 30/6/11 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Do you have NCB to use?
Id not try a Classic policy?
I had my modded Nova 2.0 16v, all mods declared, £3.5k agreed value for £350, with various minor convictions.
That was thru performance direct.
If you have a few yrs NCB then get on the comparison sites.

r1_pete

posted on 30/6/11 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Use the comparison sites, you should be able to do much better than that, I compare at the renewal of all insurances.

My R1 actually came down by £5, and have commutuing added, when they rang me to see if I wanted to renew, I asked for the price - thank you - I'll just do a quick confused, they rang back meating the best price on confused by a few quid. Make the thieves sorry - brokers work for their cut!!!!

[Edited on 30/6/11 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
emidas

posted on 30/6/11 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Swiftcover.
They also take into account some no claims when insuring a second car.

nick205

posted on 30/6/11 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Ouf interest is that Fully Comp, TPFT or just TP only.

For the age/value of the car I'd only be looking for TP cover with absolutely no extras included (no offence meant in terms of the car BTW, it sounds like an ideal budget commuter tool)

SeanStone

posted on 30/6/11 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
The novas used to be the most stolen car. Maybe people are returning to old habbits!
jabbahutt

posted on 1/7/11 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
That was for TP. Can't see anyone wanting to steal this, you're thinking of Nova hatchbacks this one has a boot. No offence taken on the car Nick it's really starting to hang in places bodywork wise but mechanically it's sweet as a nut.

Had a look at the old price comparison sites and £204 is the best price listed. Going to try getting it insured for the wife instead with me as a named driver as her insurance on it after just passing her test was £110.

Thanks for all the input,, as always much appreciated.

coozer

posted on 1/7/11 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
See my other thread about chassis rail repair.. its a 1996 106D which according to gocompare is worth £345.

Doing a search for insurance, 46, 1 accident, 9 years no claims the cheapest quote is £299! My kit was £160 last year and that has hardly change over the years.

I may be wrong but the comparison sites only seem to me to return results for the big names. I wonder if its worth popping into a local broker and see what I can get off them??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Ninehigh

posted on 12/7/11 at 05:18 AM Reply With Quote
Hark at you lot moaning that your insurance is £200 cheaper than mine, on similarly small cars and similar mileage...

(I'm joking but only half joking, try £500 on a 2001 106)

samjc

posted on 14/7/11 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Your all lucky ive had a quick skim through rants and its stupid that its going up not down but here we go im 19 (was 18at the time) insured my mk6 fiesta flame under my own name but with a parent to help lower coats and ised a multi car policy and costs.me £1900 just for my 2003 1.4 ford haha
Ninehigh

posted on 21/8/11 at 03:17 AM Reply With Quote
I looked up putting stepson on the mondeo as a provisional driver (remember they're not allowed out on their own)

Just me and the missus, about £700

With him too, £5000.

I'd rather have had quotes of "Suck it"

britishtrident

posted on 21/8/11 at 04:51 AM Reply With Quote
Third party usually costs more than full comp, it is seen as a marker of high risk.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.