Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BMW sum mod to fit Viento
SteveWallace

posted on 17/7/11 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
BMW sum mod to fit Viento

Attached are a couple of pictures of my latest build progress. BMW sumps have a bulge on the side that means that they do not fit Vientio engine bays. To overcome this, I have had to cut a bit off the side of the sump.

By my calculations, I have lost about 600ml of oil capacity but according to my BMW manual, the difference between the high and low oil levels on the dip stick is 1000ml, so I reckon that as long as I keep it topped up to the high level I'll have enough.

By the way, the TIG welding was done by GIA Engineering, Stapleford, Nottingham and if you you live in the East Midlands, I would recommend them.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

By the way, the pile of wood holding the engine up is not as precarious as it looks as it has a bloody great bolt through it

jollygreengiant

posted on 17/7/11 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Just remember one thing about the dipstick level(s). They are marked minimum and Maximum, the translation of this is, that these are recommended levels NOT they have to be or the world of $hite will decend on you and your family. It is not recomended that you fill above the maximum because this could lead to oil burning/rings problems. Further it is only recomended that the level is kept above the minimum or engine damage could occur. Engine damage will ONLY definitely occur with NO oil. So long as the level is between the min and max your engine will be quite happy.

I might be worried about the oil over heating because you have lost some of the cooling fins, however, the engine and sump (esp) will be in a much more exposed position so there will bew that much more cooling.

other than that it looks good, stop worrying, just rember to fill to the dipstick level, NOT the quantity.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

NeilP

posted on 20/7/11 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
That's nice work there Steve - reckon there's a 'get a lick on' coming...

p.s. We are going to have to book that coffee.

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.