Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alloy Wheel Painting
Michael

posted on 7/8/11 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Alloy Wheel Painting

Have brought the Acid #8 primer ready to paint my RS2000 wheels, but i read that after I applied the main colour it will need laquer (which I brought)

The thing is I brought gloss black paint and it says paint will need matting down with light glass paper before laquer.

So should I swap the gloss for matt black or just laquer over the gloss?

I have alloy silver paint too for the inner faces of the wheels and will laquer over that too.

Thank you.

austin man

posted on 7/8/11 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
generall the laquer will require you flat the paint work for a good key, let the paint harden then light flat with p 800 or p1000 dry thoroughly then laquer. If using cans I heat them slightly in a pan of hot water this increases the spray pressure

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Mark Allanson

posted on 7/8/11 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
If you have bought gloss you wont need lacquer

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

MikeFellows

posted on 8/8/11 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
generall the laquer will require you flat the paint work for a good key, let the paint harden then light flat with p 800 or p1000 dry thoroughly then laquer. If using cans I heat them slightly in a pan of hot water this increases the spray pressure

there is an accident waiting to happen there - please take photos of your kitchen when/if it does

[Edited on 8/8/11 by MikeFellows]

Michael

posted on 8/8/11 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeFellows
quote:

there is an accident waiting to happen there - please take photos of your kitchen when/if it does

My thoughts too.

I will leave the laquer to room temperature, but Will laquer the back side of the alloy wheel that faces the inside of the car as that is being painted with wheel silver and it recomends a laquer over that.

RK

posted on 16/8/11 at 04:57 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aV2H57bES4
Michael

posted on 20/8/11 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
How do you clean the old paint off? I have tried wire brush but can not get right in the corners.

The paint is realy thick in places with runs so I can not just paint over it.

macc man

posted on 20/8/11 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Best way to remove old paint is to bead blast or use nitromores paint stripper. This is a messy job so blasting recommended.

spiderman

posted on 20/8/11 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeFellows
quote:

Heat the water in a pan remove from heat source and then put can in the pan of hot water. I have never had a problem doing it this way , presure increases, paint atomizes better and drying time is reduced.

[Edited on 20/8/11 by spiderman]

Spider

Michael

posted on 21/8/11 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by macc man
Best way to remove old paint is to bead blast or use nitromores paint stripper. This is a messy job so blasting recommended.

Do I need to protect the polished alloy area if I use Nitromor.

Thanks.

matt_gsxr

posted on 23/8/11 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
no need to protect polished area, but it does nasty things to the tyre if left on there.
Michael

posted on 23/8/11 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks.

Thats ok then as I have already removed the tyres so they can be completely refurbed.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 31/8/11 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe too late, but if you paint the interior, you reduce the possibility of leaks due to porous castings. (very rare now, but if you already have the tires out...)

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Michael

posted on 31/8/11 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I have decided to remove the tyres so I cn paint the inside of the rim (what you wont see because tyre covers)

I did think too that it was a possibility as thats where its leaking through.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.