Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blackbird R.I.P.
Blackbird Rush

posted on 14/8/11 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Blackbird R.I.P.

Following the mishap with the engine at the Abingdon trackday it's time to think about the next step in sorting the engine.

It would appear to have suffered oil surge and now have a knocking big end, when I have a chance to remove the engine ill see for sure.

Been looking for a replacement engine but eBay is not showing Any bargins at the moment so might see if I can pick up a whole bike and break it to recoup some £

On the look out for a dry sump kit or accusump as hopefully this will help to stop this happening again.

Also noticed the carbon part of the R1 exhaust can is peeling off (obviously only for show as there is metal underneath!) don't think it was getting too hot? The rest of the stainless parts look fine?

Another option is to replace the engine with something else with a few more cc's and horsepowers!

Any pointers to cheap bbird motors or accusump / dry sump parts would be a great help

To be continued......

Ash

probablyleon

posted on 14/8/11 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
I feel your pain, the very same thing happened to me on a trackday last year. I had an Accusump installed but apparently it wasn't enough ( I spent some time trying to decide if I was going to replace the BBird or go for a more robust alternative. In the end I chose to go for a 2006 R1, quite a bit more £££s but I'm not sure I'd have ever been able to relax into driving the car quickly again knowing it could go at any point.

If you do decide to go for another BBird, check out Caterham's website. They were selling off some old BBird related stock at around half price, including some dry sump parts. Also might be worth looking out for a motor that's had the balancer shaft removed, apparently that cures the pot 3 starvation issues.

Good luck with it

Blackbird Rush

posted on 14/8/11 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by probablyleon
In the end I chose to go for a 2006 R1

Thanks for the info, are the R1 engines better protected against oil surge than a blackbird? and better suited to car installations?

Dangle_kt

posted on 14/8/11 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
there is a thread somewhere about which engines are best suited.

r1 didn't rate too bad, anything bigger than 1000cc seemed to need acusump to be safe if I remember it right.

Personally I liked the old blade lumps, baffle plate in the sump and you were pretty much golden.

[Edited on 14/8/11 by Dangle_kt]

tilly819

posted on 14/8/11 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
done exactly the same about 2 weeks ago, i have a 2000 super blackbird engine with a hole in the side of the block were it threw a rod, looked at replacing it with another instead i a swapping for an S2000 motor and trans, as much as i belive reverse is over rated as a gear i am looking forward to having it as well as a proper clutch, and not having to rev it death to cruse down the motorway..... oh and of course the extra go go will be nice too

i never had any surge problems with mine as far as i now, i had the standard sump with a baffle plate, im not sure what the failure was due to but as far as i now when it went the oil light was not on but i checked the temp just after and it was at 105C, may have been an oil pump failure and i just didn't notice havnt had chance to strip it yet.....

i now exactly how you feel i was gutted, fortunetly i wasn't far from home and got a mate to tow me back. i saw it as an opportunity to try something new and got the s2k for a good price

wish you all the best whatever you decide

tilly

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

INDY BIRD

posted on 14/8/11 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Not uncommon for a bird to blow I'm afraid,

They are prone to oil surge even with dry sump kit, I would look to change to another engine if you can, poss a zx12' r1,blade etc I had a bird done every thing to stop oil surge balancer shaft removed etc dry sump and still went pop , go for a new engine while you can unless you are not using on track and will be ok for road use etc,

spiderman

posted on 14/8/11 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
There is a R1 motor for sale on this forum for £600 complete with all ancills ecu ect. I think it is big_l who has it for sale.

[Edited on 14/8/11 by spiderman]

[Edited on 14/8/11 by spiderman]

Spider

Blackbird Rush

posted on 26/8/11 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Following on....

I've now removed the sump but now noticed there is no baffle plate, should have checked this really rather than rely on what i was told No nasties to speak of in the oil or the sump so hopefully any damage is minimal.

Next step really is to strip & rebuild the motor with hopefully just a bearing swap......

First question, are bike engines easy to work on or is this best left to the pro's ? (i'm used to car engines) i'm up for the challenge!, would a haynes be enough or best to get workshop CD with all the dealer info?

Second question, where to get parts from gasket sets/bearings (Not main stealer if poss as they are £££) any recommendations?

If all seams fixable when i take it apart then i'd probably remove the balancer shaft (any pointers on this?) and then refit it all with an accusump from Andy Bates.

Cheers

Ash.

neo2

posted on 26/8/11 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Is this any interest to you guys at all....

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/34/viewthread.php?tid=159657

probablyleon

posted on 27/8/11 at 05:57 AM Reply With Quote
Jaws link would be a good place to start for blackbird specific parts and information. On the couple of occasions I spoke to him he was really helpful. Also, make sure it's not just as cheap to go for a full dry sump system (as opposed to an Accusump). As I mentioned in my previous post, Caterham were selling off tanks, sump pans and a few other bits at around half price. They were also selling some very funky looking airboxes as well.

Good luck with the rebuild

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.