Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Road legal and dissapointed
carlknight1982

posted on 10/9/11 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Road legal and dissapointed

I knew there would be some teething troubles but i have to admit im devestated. first road legal run in the car, got her upto 55mph and watched the temp gauge hit 105 degrees, WITH the rad fan running! that wasnt the worst tho, I just couldnt get my knees into a position where they were comfortable under the dash, how taller builders fare i dont know! specially spud at over 6ft!

Im going to try to move the seat back a little, but again this isnt the worst issue, the worst issue is the clutch is slipping like a bastard at anything over half throttle above 40mph and forget 5th gear completely.

Plans for the weekend are to fit a new thermostat to help with air locking problems and hopefully cure the overheating, move the seat back if possible to give me a little more clearance around my knees, if not i may have to trim the bottom edge off the dash, and try to adjust the slip out of the clutch but maintain a decent pedal.

all in all not as bad as it could be just a kick in the nuts

Logic will get you from a A to B
Imagination will take you everywhere.

StevieB

posted on 10/9/11 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Is it only just IVA'd?

I wouldn't worry about it too much - when I got my Indy through SVA it was only the start of the work really, though it was a breath of fresh air getting everything set up how I wanted it, rather than how the VOSA man wants to see it.

There's always a few tweaks needed once you've been out on the road and/or track a few times, but that's part of the fun of these cars (so I'm told )

mistergrumpy

posted on 10/9/11 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
God yes. There's still now things I'm straightening out after my SVA in 2009. My clutch has been apart that many times we're pushing double figures. It's something to be expected although yes I agree it is a kick in the balls, especially when you hear of people on here travelling miles and miles to shows or whatever and like me you've struggled to get past the top road
02GF74

posted on 10/9/11 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
check the thermostat ion a saucpan of boiling water first, I didn't and fitted a new thermostat that killed my expensive ported and unleaded cylinder head.

re: steering wheel - option are to fit smaller one 11 or 10 inch is about as small as you'd want to go; aslo see if you can more the steering column upwards.

adithorp

posted on 10/9/11 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Don't worry, we all have teething problems and you'll soon get them sorted.

Temp... Was the rad hot at both the top and bottom hoses when it overheated? If not it's probably just a stuck shut 'stat. Are you sure the gauge is accurate? An infra-red thermometer will confirm the figures.

Seats... I see you have padded ones.They're not the slimmest and GRP shell seats give more room but the max space is offten with a seat back fitted to the bulkhead and a squab on the floor. Have you changed from the donor steering wheel? That will give you a lot more room as well.

Clutch... Do you have free play in the cable/pedal? If not it'll slip and is a common mistake. Is the release lever coming all the way back and fouling on the end of the hole in the bell-housing? Again a common problem where components have been mixed and matched.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

carlknight1982

posted on 10/9/11 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Thermostat has just been changed, i checked it, it wasnt stuck but was a 92 degree stat so ive changed it with a 88 degree stat.
still over heating, ive checked the temp against my infra red thermometer and its spot on. not looking good, im hoping for an air lock.

its not the steering wheel that the problem its the bottom of the dash, im a big fella so like the padded seats but might have to have a chat with triton.

as for the clutch i will take a peak at that tomorrow as the kids are playing up now

Logic will get you from a A to B
Imagination will take you everywhere.

Steve Hignett

posted on 10/9/11 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
If you are a big guy, then I suggest you take a good a very close look at DIY Seat Making/forming isntead of buying a seat...

There are two methods:

Expanding Foam;
http://forum.caterhamracing.com/index.php?showtopic=149

Beads;
http://www.dpr-motorsport.com/accessories/real_essential_seat.html

bigbravedave

posted on 10/9/11 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
the biggest disheartener for you is probably down to seat position. Before I moved mine back the whole driving experience felt awkward, Im over 6 foot and Im used to driving the 5'2 wifes car without moving the seat in hers.

once moved the foot angle on the pedals was loads better and more importantly I cud get on the brakes confidently without my knee catching the steering wheel! and didn't get cramp in my left ankle

adithorp

posted on 10/9/11 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Looking at your archive photos looks like a polo rad'. That should do the job so other things...

Is your fan rotating the corect way? From the photos it should be anti-clockwise as you look through the nose. Have you baffled around the rad to force all the airgoing through the grill, through the rad? Are your pipes connected the correct way?
Top hose (thermostat) to top of rad
Bottom hose (from w/pump) to bottom of rad.
Air bleed/vent on rad along with air bleed/vent from top of engine to top of expansion tank .
Bottom hose from tank into bottom rad hose (but top hose will work).
Level in the bottle higher than the highest cooling part of the engine (usually the breather vent).

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

rusty nuts

posted on 10/9/11 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Venting the rear of my bonnet dropped the temperature by at least ten degrees , Some Pinto thermostat housings had a take off for a bleeder to the header tank , If yours has one check it isn't blocked or if it is plugged can you connect it to the header tank? As for the driving position put the seat into a position that is comfortable for your legs/feet and if required move/change the steering wheel to give a comfortable position then if needed perhaps look at fitting a gearlever remote to sort that out. One of my old bosses had a Robin Hood that I couldn't reach the pedals and the steering wheel almost hit me in the chest, all stuff that can be sorted! Has the clutch cable got any free play ?
snakebelly

posted on 10/9/11 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
have done a couple of bead seats now and they are very easy to do and as long as you take your time the end result is well worth it, some black cotton cloth and a can of spray glue and they can look good as well.
iank

posted on 11/9/11 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Making a foam and bin bag seat isn't hard - and it's a common upgrade on Caterhams (for those that don't go down the tillett carbon fibre route )

Better link (IMO ) http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=152517

Like most DIY, if you spend time getting things right and thinking things through you can do as good a job as any expert.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

RK

posted on 11/9/11 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
There is some beautiful work there, but I see so many ways for this to turn into complete garage disaster, which makes it something I MUST try! Of course, this is coming from the guy who just turned his garage into the Alberta Tar Sands. I never knew about the advantages of Kitty Litter until yesterday.
MikeR

posted on 11/9/11 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Seriously - wear old clothes, tuck everything into everything else!

(you can guess how i found out!)

Ninehigh

posted on 11/9/11 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Seriously - wear old clothes, tuck everything into everything else!

(you can guess how i found out!)

Does your seat come with a ridge where your coat/belt/something else was?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.