Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: recommend me a car lift
daniel mason

posted on 20/3/12 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
recommend me a car lift

am considering getting a lift to do work on my cars but un sure of what to look for. been looking at race car lifts and scissor lifts but ideally a single post or small 2 post would give better access to front and back axles etc.
race car lifts use a lift at front and back meaning its har tyo access certain areas.
it will need to be maximum of around 2 ton,single phase electric supply,ideally used condition and low entry to get the kit on as well! cheers

FuryRebuild

posted on 20/3/12 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
I went for something a little different. I bought (a while ago) TUV HYDRAULIC SCISSOR LIFT TABLE 500KGS | eBay, removed the handles and used them as lifts front and back.

A little drilling to attach scaffold plans and ramps so the car could drive up, then it's supported on axle stands from the lift platform and the planks are removed.

End result is a car that sits on scissors front and back, loads of access and quite stable. I don't take it over waist height, but that's a comfy height for working on wheels, etc.

I can jack it and raise it easily by myself (three pumps front lift, three back lift) and use a spirit level to be sure i have it level to work on.

The platforms are just wide enough to drive a fury on (with wheel spacers) but it's a scary prospect. I have attached a 12v winch to my back wall, and I winch it up the ramps onto the lifts. It's nice and slow and steady and never come off.

All in, I think it cost me £350 for everything (including the winch and battery from a scrapper to power it).

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

owelly

posted on 21/3/12 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Just my thruppences worth:
A mate has a scissor lift and its good for lifting the wheels to do brakes, bearings and stuff, but no good for exhausts, running brake/fuel lines, etc as you can't get under the middle of the car.
Single post lift is a bit better, but you still have the arms reaching right under the car which also prevents removing gearboxes from rwd cars. Also consider the balance issue should you be removing a big bit of the car, ie rear axle or engine.
If I had the choice, I'd have a two poster. Good for most, if not all jobs plus the arms fold out of the way to give you back floorspace.
I have a four poster which takes up a lot of room. I've made some free-wheel bars and some travelling jacking beams but for my use, a two poster would have been a better buy.
I suggest you make a list of the tasks you want to carry-out and decide which can be done on which lift.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
FuryRebuild

posted on 21/3/12 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
I forgot to mention my 2-scissor solution makes it easy to get underneath and access over the lift platforms is no worse than if it were on the ground.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

rusty nuts

posted on 21/3/12 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
We have a scissor lift at work that allows access to the middle of the car and lifts to above 2 metres .If funds allow have a look at a two poster , unlimited access to the underside apart from the lift pad area so not so good for welding sills etc and not a lot of room to open the doors but check you have enough height.
mark chandler

posted on 21/3/12 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
2 post scissor every day of the week.

Much better access all the way around, takes up much less space as well.

4 post ramps are for doing MOT's

daniel mason

posted on 21/3/12 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
how do you mean 2 post scissor?
anyone had one of the ones made by 'race car lifts' they look ok and are a good price!

Dale

posted on 27/3/12 at 01:22 AM Reply With Quote
I just picked up an older base plate 2 post 7000 lb lift $900 Canadian dollars or around 550 pounds. I plan to build some wheel adapters to be able to drive on to store it above my daily driver (at least in the winter). So far it looks like I only have to replace the sync cable and add an electrical box for it. Bolts to attach to floor are very expensive though $75 for 12
I will only be able to go so high in the garage on the daily driver but the kit will get almost 6 feet up.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.