Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Turbo for bike engine
aidan46

posted on 24/3/12 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Turbo for bike engine

Looking to turbocharge an 1990 Kawasaki zx10 bike engine. Gonna run it in with MS2 extra on EFI with throttle bodies from zx6r. (currently on carbs) looking for suggestions for Lo-cost way of getting it up and running. Can i use turbo from scrapped car? waste-gate control? oil feed for turbo? exhaust / inlet plenum fabrication ect. All suggestions welcome!!! Ta
mark chandler

posted on 24/3/12 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.bike-turbo.com/forum/index.php

Low pressure turbo from a volvo is good for 6 - 8psi

Turbo part number
Turbo part number

Turbo top view
Turbo top view

Comes with its own wastegate and BOV, make sure you get all the pipes and 1st foot of the exhaust.

Oil will come from a Tee where the oil pressure switch exists, you just need to sort out a return into the top of the sump.

I doubt the injectors in a ZX6r TB's will be big enough.

Made the inlet by rolling some 3mm Ali, had to pin it as it split when flexing.

Make sure you sort out a really good intercooler and lock up clutch.

Here's my map, blown 918 blade engine but will give you a starting point MS1 running extra code, fuel only.

Description
Description

pictures in archive, also have a look at these pages for inspiration

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=gal&user=locoR1&folder=Turbo

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=gal&user=welderman&folder=Turbo%20bec

Its as cheap as your capabilities really, you will pay for a TIG welder in the savings from buying parts.

Regards Mark

Regards Mark

aidan46

posted on 24/3/12 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, that's a sweet setup you have going on there! Do u feel much lag with your set up. Also is it difficult to get a decent map without going to rolling road ?
mark chandler

posted on 25/3/12 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
I never used the Volvo Turbo in the end, got a very clever one from Scootz on here.

No lag that is noticeable, but it is a clever turbo, my build is scruffy to the others but effective.

Engine is bog standard apart from the clutch, did not want to spend £200 on head gaskets for a £400 lump, if its goes bang will just swap out.

I did Cadwell and Brands on a home brew map using autotune and megatune to refine the map, then had it rolling roaded where it lept from 175BHP to 200BHP, idled properly and lost all flat spots, next time I would get a running map then hit the RR.

When N/A it worked well, the problem once blown is that the car is to fast to map as you cannot hold it at any rev's on the road, it just leaps away. I even found a long hill and kept going up and down that but at 70 its at 7000rpm in top, stick it in third to map the higher range and the wheels light up

Regards Mark

matt_gsxr

posted on 25/3/12 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a volvo turbo on mine (td04-16T) and it works nicely with ms2.

I haven't done the RR thing, just street tuned it with the megasquirt tools.

Nissan Pulsar GTiR plenum might be worth a look (search on here).

aidan46

posted on 25/3/12 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Are you's running variable or fixed geometry turbos? And is there a difference between petrol and diesel engines turbos.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.