Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cooling advice for a RB25DET :(
Eternal

posted on 31/3/12 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Cooling advice for a RB25DET :(

The good news is that the build is coming along! The bad news is i'm stuck on cooling options for the radiator. I'm using a cosworth intercooler out of a 2wd sierra that leaves the bottom area to fit a wide radiator that is not too tall. The top will be ducted so the rad cannot go any higher than the top rail but an angle of 20' is desired to increase cooling.

So far i have come up with the usual suspects but wanted to know what people think as this engine will be putting out around 280hp so cooling is quite important. I will be down the workshop tomorrow but can take some measurements. But to give you an idea i think around 350mm high and around 550mm max width is all i have as it will be going in a haynes roadster.

All advice welcome as kind of stuck until i find one that fits.

Thank!

rdodger

posted on 31/3/12 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
I just ordered this one from Radtec.

http://radtec.co.uk/products/527/Universal-Radiator-Extreme-version-.htm

Not Locost but will be up to the job.

Eternal

posted on 31/3/12 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Nice stuff! But quite expensive but is an option! Just a shame there is not a nice off the shelf one for around the £175 mark. Was thinking of trying to get a Westfield Seight v8 rad.
RK

posted on 1/4/12 at 02:18 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a CA18DET and use a double core Honda Civic racing radiator. Works well, as long as the fan operates! If not, big trouble.
fimi7

posted on 1/4/12 at 03:00 AM Reply With Quote
One suggestion is to make a radiator out of cardboard, the exact dimensions that fit, then hunt for one that is close to that size or have it custom made.

I had similar issues and kind of rough guest it with tape measure. 4 radiators later I still am very close to the body work, but it fits.

--- Ali

CNHSS1

posted on 1/4/12 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
The RB like the CA has an oil to water cooler fitted as std. If you find your chosen rad is struggling for cooling you can add an oil cooler to the circuit to reduce the extra heat the oil puts into the water circuit or remove the oil exchnager altogether and fit a bigger oil to air cooler. Might me easier to package than a stinking great water rad

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

Eternal

posted on 1/4/12 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
Good thinking about template will make one up today.

Have allready removed the oil to water heat exchangers as mentioned will be using a larger oil cooler.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.