Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Shower query
McLannahan

posted on 20/8/12 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Shower query

Since I've had the piping rerouted our shower has been fantastic. Doesn't run out of water, excellent pressure...etc..spot on!

Sadly this weekend a horrible burning smell and the pump stinks. I think it has had its day. Water still comes out but at half pressure. It's had a good life though, 10 years!

Money is very tight a the moment and I can't afford to have a plumber come to sort this. The replacement pump price appears to be about 100 too and it may be the PCB at fault and that money could be wasted.

I'd like to have a go at sorting this myself and have discovered they still make the same unit sold as a direct replacement for this unit. Happy days! More than happy with having another of the same unit, it's a lovely powerful shower.

However...the shower unit has always been too high on the wall for my wife to reach. How easy is it to extend these plastic fittings? The cable is fed from the loft and there seems to be enough slack to let the new shower drop, it's just how to extend these fittings?

The new unit has the same feeds in the same order and location so I could just swap like for like, would just love to lower the new unit slightly!

Or....if I buy the unit anyone know how much it "might" cost to have a professional come and fit the new unit and move it down slightly?

[Edited on 20/8/12 by McLannahan]

[Edited on 20/8/12 by McLannahan]

mookaloid

posted on 20/8/12 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Easy to extend the pipes - they look like 15mm copper. You just need some copper pipe cut to the length you want and a couple of straight push fittings or compression fittings.

The electrical stuff is tricky and really should be done by a qualified sparky - it is in a high risk area of the house (lots of water)

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

cliftyhanger

posted on 20/8/12 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
to be fair, the electrics are a few wires screwed into connector blocks. Difficult to get wrong. But important to get right! ie all good and tight. If moving down the wall think where the now exposed cable will run. May want it in trunking or buried?

As to extending the pipes, that is a doddle. Especially with pushfit stuff if you want to avoid the blowtorch. And a few inches of copper to suit.

AllWeatherDan

posted on 21/8/12 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Prob already the case but put a U in the wire so any condensation drips off the bottom of the U and not at the connector.

There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Just the ones I ask!

bartonp

posted on 21/8/12 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Easier to get a taller wife?
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 21/8/12 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bartonp
Easier to get a taller wife?

Oh and you find you have loads more money!!!!

Ninehigh

posted on 21/8/12 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Why not stick a longer handle onto the "tap" so she can reach?

se7en

posted on 21/8/12 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Make her a box to stand on

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.