Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 5VY R1 squealing from throttle body area
richiekuk

posted on 26/4/13 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
5VY R1 squealing from throttle body area

Hey all. I've just noticed a squealing / squeaking noise coming from the throttle body area when i have the ignition on (with or without engine running).

Anyone shed any light on this, and is it the start of something bad?

Cheers

Richie K

dave_424

posted on 26/4/13 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got secondary butterflies? If you do and they are supposed to be working correctly, it might be the sound of normal operation, or that they are stuck and it is the little motor making the noise.

Do you have a FPR? it might be the fuel squeeking through the FPR.

Dave

richiekuk

posted on 26/4/13 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
I assume I have secondary butterflies, don't think there is a Fuel Pressure Regulator that I can see.
I never fitted the engine and its my first BEC.

Hopefully it's going to be my first outing in the car tomorrow, so hopefully it's all ok.

dave_424

posted on 26/4/13 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
From what I have seen, typically the secondary throttle bodies do a little song and dance for a few seconds when the ignition is switched on.

If you can take the airbox off without too much hassle it would be worth observing if they are there/working.

Dave

richiekuk

posted on 26/4/13 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
The squeaking continues until the ignition is turned off. I'll have a look tomorrow, when I'm back at the unit.

What should they a really do?

dave_424

posted on 26/4/13 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Something like this I think http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTeZTVQw20c

Dave

richiekuk

posted on 26/4/13 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers. Ill have a look tomorrow
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 26/4/13 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
You do have a fuel pressure regulator, you just haven't seen it, it's very small and well hidden unit on the end of the fuel rail. It will squeak a bit, if worn, so that's one thing to look at. Get hold of a pressure gauge, you should have 42 psi on the rail. I'll assume you haven't fitted an overated fuel pump, it's not a very industrial regulator, you can have a Sytec pump thats too much.

The secondary butterflies simply open and shut when the ignition is turned on. They then sit there, silent, if you leave everything alone. If they're chattering, you have a feedback potentiometer failure, not unknown. If the error bars on the loop are exceeded, it'll throw an error code (48). Getting into DIAG mode and dialling up 56 will put the servo through it's motion, reporting the angle as it does it. All the bellcranks are external, so you can see what's going on.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.