Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: AB Performance Paddle Shift
richiekuk

posted on 1/5/13 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
AB Performance Paddle Shift

My Fury R1 has an AB Performance paddle shift fitted.

The sleeve that goes over the column, seems to only be mounted by 2 10mm M6 bolts, that are almost "self tapped" into the 2 holes drilled into the column (recipe for disaster).

I have found that these have come loose, and the whole paddle unit now moves up and down the column! As you can imagine this is NOT GOOD.

I was wondering how people have mounted their AB paddles to their steering column.

I was thinking of putting a longer bolt all the way throught the column and putting a nut on the other end, therefore securing the sleeve to the column, but I dont know if I can simply drill straight throught the column (Is it just a hollow tube?), or has anyone come up with a nice way of securing the paddle sleeve to the column.

Thanks for any help

Richie K

40inches

posted on 1/5/13 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
A bolt all the way through the column The steering shaft runs down it, so not a good idea.
Fit a few extra mounting bolts? or get in touch with AB, Andy's a good guy, sure he will help you out.

richiekuk

posted on 1/5/13 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thats a fair point. never really thought of that.

Ive been pestering poor Andy Bates about loads of stuff lately, thought I'd let him do some work.

I'll have to wrack my brains!

Richie K

procomp

posted on 1/5/13 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi.
Most of the ones that we come a cross are junked and custom items made to suit the driver and aplication.
Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Benzo

posted on 1/5/13 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richiekuk

Ive been pestering poor Andy Bates about loads of stuff lately, thought I'd let him do some work.

Richie K

If you actually had to thought you could bolt straight through the column you really should have someone else work on the car!!!

If it comes loose then now you no it's something you have to check to keep tight, if you planning to keep it on forever then put a couple of spot welds on it with a mig and it won't move again.

sdh2903

posted on 1/5/13 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
My AB paddle shift sleeve has 2 bolts each side, these have a dab of loctite and a spring washer each, they have never budged.
richiekuk

posted on 2/5/13 at 05:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzo
quote:
Originally posted by richiekuk

Richie K

If you actually had to thought you could bolt straight through the column you really should have someone else work on the car!!!

If it comes loose then now you no it's something you have to check to keep tight, if you planning to keep it on forever then put a couple of spot welds on it with a mig and it won't move again.

Well good job I asked first then isn't it!

It's not just a case of re tightening them. Like I said in the first instance, the bolts were effectively self tapped into the column outer, so once loose, they are never going to be tight again!

[Edited on 2/5/13 by richiekuk]

40inches

posted on 2/5/13 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
Redrill the holes in the paddle shift, drill pilot holes into the column,run a tap, refit paddle shift using Loctite Bearing Fit
on screw threads, sit back and admire your work, and hope you never have to take it off again

If you live anywhere near Chesterfield, bring the car up and I will fit it for you.

[Edited on 2-5-13 by 40inches]

richiekuk

posted on 2/5/13 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Don't think the steel is thick enough to run a tap to be honest. I was going to re drill the column holes out to 7.5mm, line up the slots in the paddle shift sleeve and drill that the match. Then use M8x12mm bolts, and effectively tap the steel as I put those in with some thread lock, and all should be secure.

Only issue is, the paddles need to come off to get the dash out (that's what loosened them in the first place when I did some dash wiring.

Hopefully the dash will stay in for a while now.

Cheers though, Chesterfield isn't actually that far.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 2/5/13 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Mine is secured by a an exhaust clamp, one of the posh stainless Mikalor ones. I simply cut a slit at the far end of it, slid over the clamp and tightened. Works well.
40inches

posted on 2/5/13 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
Mine is secured by a an exhaust clamp, one of the posh stainless Mikalor ones. I simply cut a slit at the far end of it, slid over the clamp and tightened. Works well.

Now that sounds like a plan

richiekuk

posted on 2/5/13 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem

And the exhaust clamp actually clamps the paddle shifter sleeve to the column? As it would 2 pieces of exhaust?

If thats the case, that does indeed sound like a plan!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.