Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA emissions....
Dave Bailey

posted on 16/6/13 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
IVA emissions....

I am going blind to IVA having had emission issues when I tested on a gas analyser... We think the analyser was playing up but I know that Lambda is a little unstable.. I was going to take a chance and go to IVA and take my laptop... Rather than try to tweak the fuel map I was thinking that I could change the target lambda to lean the whole map up if I fail the test... Anyone know if this is a good idea or not?

Thanks
Dave B

acafrao

posted on 17/6/13 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
I've been dwelling with emissions problems from quite some time with my car now being under a small rebuild process.

From my experience what really help was to fit an afr sensor with a gauge on the dashboard this way you could check if the air to fuel mixture is too lean, too rich or perfect at the different tps positions on real time, checking and correcting before iva to be on the safe side!

All the best,

Nuno

40inches

posted on 17/6/13 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Make absolutely sure there are no air leaks on any exhaust joints, even a slight leak can give a high lambda reading, even if the emissions are perfect.
The Cat will have little or no effect on Lambda ie: the Lambda will be the same before and after the Cat, the only change will be to emissions.
A very good diagnostic chart here. Go to: Tech things to know> exhaust emissions> using lambda

britishtrident

posted on 17/6/13 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
A tiny leak in exhaust especially the later sections will give high MOT test lambda readings as it draws air into the exhaust.
The main purpose of the Lambda test is to stop bodgers getting through emissions tests by making holes in the tail pipe to dilute the exhausr gas with air.

Last week I had a car fail on high lambda, I couldn't find any hole in the exhaust even putting a rag up the tail pipe but when cut the old exhaust I found a few really tiny holes in one weld. I fitted a new system post the secondary cat gave the car an Italian tune up to burn off any paint inside the exdhaust and the 12 year old car sallied through the emission test with the lambda right in the middle of the accepted range.

Incidentally the exhaust was the one piece system fitted by the Longbridge factory in 2002 :-)

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.