Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Greenbelt area, erect a garage?
Jon Ison

posted on 28/6/13 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Greenbelt area, erect a garage?

Just been to view a property that ticks all our boxes except.......

No garage, no stables, it's set in 3 acres, no other property other than a couple of farm houses and a golf driving range in sight.

It's greenbelt, whats the likely pitfalls when seeking planning for a double garage and stable block, you can't see the property from the road and there is a area that looks perfect to position both garage and stables that is hidden from the road both by the tress (that hide the house) then a further "clump" if that is the word of trees and a natural embankment ?

Starter, non starter ? What's the rules re "tempoary buildings" ie a wooden stable block and concrete sectional garage neither of which would look half as good as a correctly built outbuilding using the same materials and finish of the main dwelling?

Smokey mow

posted on 28/6/13 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
There's two classifications for what is a temporary building: Class A which relates to portacabins etc assocated with building works taking place on a site, and Class B which covers just about everything else but limited to only 28days in a calander year and they cannot be located within the curtilage of a building.

Therefore a domestic garage would need to satisfy the criteria for permitted development or a planning app would need to be made.

See here for planning guidance on outbuildings http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/miniguides/outbuildings/Outbuildings.pdf

Being in the greenbelt outside of the village envelope wouldn't overly concern me, but if it is a conservation area or AONB planners may have a keener interest in both it's size and design.

mark chandler

posted on 28/6/13 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Very hard, my friend did the same thing and had to build his stables on wheels to avoid the restrictions

If its classified as farmland you may get agricultural buildings permission so something you need to be sure of.

chrism

posted on 28/6/13 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Found this with a google.

Source: http://www.molevalley.gov.uk/media/pdf/j/b/the_green_belt.pdf

Domestic Garages and
Outbuildings
A householder may wish to provide a new
garage or other domestic outbuildings to
serve an existing dwelling. In some cases
these may be
permitted development
and a
planning application will not be necessary.
However, where planning permission is
required such developments will need to be
of suitable size and scale, both in relation to
the character of the existing dwelling and in
terms of their impact on the appearance and
openness of the Green Belt.
Particular attention will be paid to the scale
and form of the roofs of such buildings.
Where a proposed garage is wide and
requires a large roof span, perhaps with the
intention of creating living accommodation in
the roof space, the building can become
bulky and intrusive, and therefore harmful to
the appearance and openness of the Green
Belt.
Therefore, under Local Plan Policy RUD9,
domestic garages and outbuildings will
normally be permitted where they:
• are not excessive in size having regard to
the dwelling they serve;
• do not constitute a dominant feature,
having regard to the scale of the existing
dwelling nor detract from the rural
character or appearance of the locality;
• are not readily capable of subsequent
conversion to residential accommodation,
and would not replace an existing garage
that has already been converted to that
use;
• are for ancillary domestic purposes only.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

Jon Ison

posted on 28/6/13 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Arial view.

Peteff

posted on 28/6/13 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Call it a barn, they allow those on green belt.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Simon

posted on 28/6/13 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Suggest to the council that you'll put three artic trailers in the ground if they object to something sensible.

Seems to be the in thing for roadside advertising

ATB

Simon

DarrenW

posted on 29/6/13 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Ive always found the council to be very approachable in such matters. Defo worth either a quick phone call or make an appointment to go and see them. Ive met them onsite before to discuss possible planning, but it was my house. I doubt the sellers would mind though if there is the chance of a sale.

On face value it looks like a suitable outbuilding would be perfect, but i guess im biassed towards your wishes. Wouldnt take long to get there view on it. It might be worth you knocking up some quick sketches and possibly applying for outline permission before you buy.

steve m

posted on 29/6/13 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
I was told, a good few year's ago, that anyone can legaly build a "Boat house" even if your not near any water

The person who told me this, is no longer around, but his so called boat house was bigger than my house, and was about 50 metres from a very old 17th century (or earlier) listed cottage in a very idilic west sussex village

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/6/13 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
If no one can see it just build it and tell them in a few years, in Scotland we have the 4 and 10 year rule which the planning board can't then later object, I think you have something very similar in England. It very handy as we got away with fitting modern plastic windows on a listed building just cos no one noticed, the only one in the street with modern double glazing
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.