Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Head Gasket- Should I risk it???
david_hornet27

posted on 6/7/13 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Head Gasket- Should I risk it???

Hi Everyone.

Just been outside making the most of the sunshine to give my van a service. It's an LDV Maxus on an 05 plate.

When I emptied the coolant it contained oil must have been a good litre in there!

I have had no warning that the head gasket was shot. There is no white smoke from the exhaust and no white gunk or signs of water when I changed the oil.

For now I have flushed all the crap from the coolant system and refilled with clean water. I have also booked it in with a mate of mine to have the head gasket replaced. Guessing it will cost me a small fortune

My immediate problem is that I have promised to drive down to Bournemouth in the van on Monday to help a friend move house. Should I risk it? What could be the consequences if I do? It's a 200 mile round trip, mostly motorway.

Cheers guys...

'If everything seems under control you're just not going fast enough' - Mario Andretti

RK

posted on 6/7/13 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Do you know the good garages on your route in question? Are you on friendly terms with RAC?
coyoteboy

posted on 6/7/13 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
I've known cars run for ages on blown head gaskets and be perfectly usable after it was replaced. I've known some fail catastrophically in miles. 50:50!

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 6/7/13 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure its a head gasket has the van got an oil cooler if it has it maybe that its failed , maybe worth a bottle of k seal in the coolant as a temp fix!..
david_hornet27

posted on 6/7/13 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ian locostzx9rc2
Are you sure its a head gasket has the van got an oil cooler if it has it maybe that its failed , maybe worth a bottle of k seal in the coolant as a temp fix!..

You know what? I think you might be on to something there Ian with the oil cooler! Just off out to the garage now to have a looksee...

Left the van in a bit of a rage so hopefully can be a little more constructive now I have cooled down

'If everything seems under control you're just not going fast enough' - Mario Andretti

sdh2903

posted on 6/7/13 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
I would second oil cooler if there is that much oil in the water and is not running like a bag of poo.
owelly

posted on 6/7/13 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for the oil cooler if fitted. Also, any decent mechanic wouldn't change a head gasket without checking it first, unless it was very obvious!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
david_hornet27

posted on 6/7/13 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
+1 for the oil cooler if fitted. Also, any decent mechanic wouldn't change a head gasket without checking it first, unless it was very obvious!

It was me that diagnosed the head gasket in a fit of rage/depression

Pretty sure now that I have calmed down that it is the oil cooler and am trying to work out a way to bypass it.

froggy

posted on 6/7/13 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
If its a vm engine there should be two rubber hoses ,clamp them off to prove your issue first .

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

david_hornet27

posted on 6/7/13 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks to all for your replies! Yes it is definitely the oil cooler, the oil in the coolant was jet black and hadn't been aerated at all and there was too much of it to be coming through the head gasket.

Just needed you lot to talk some sense into me!

I have bypassed the oil cooler for now until I can find a replacement so hopefully it will get me to Bournemouth and back.

Once again thank you all.

froggy

posted on 6/7/13 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Have you left the ends on the cooler blocked ?

david_hornet27

posted on 6/7/13 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
A little hard to explain what I have done but I have joined the water in/out pipes together with U shaped copper pipe and then blocked the holes on the cooler to stop the oil that would have leaked into the coolant leaking to the floor. Does that make sense?

Going out now so will have to test tomorrow...

froggy

posted on 6/7/13 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Job done , I wouldn't get too worried about replacing it as I've had to do it countless times on vans and taxis they have run for years with no issues

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 7/7/13 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Glad you have it sorted

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.