Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Repaired puncture on a tyre
twybrow

posted on 3/12/13 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Repaired puncture on a tyre

Hello all. As the fountain of knowledge, I thought I would ask the Locostbuilders collective their opinion...

I just bought some winter tyres from eBay for my 535D. They are Dunlop SP Winter Sports (2 x 3D, 2 x 4D) and were advertised as excellent condition (I paid £205 for 4 tyres to be delivered, with 6mm of tread). Just before sending them by courier, I get a call from the vendor to say that these belong to his son, and when packing them for shipping he had found that one of the tyres had been repaired (professionally repaired, and then used afterwards so a proven repair). The vendor was incredibly apologetic, and said he understood if I wanted a refund. He offered me £25 back as a gesture of good will if I was happy to proceed. I pushed him to £30...

So for £175, I have 4 Dunlop winter tyres being delivered, with around 6mm tread on them. Have I been stupid accepting this? I see an awful lot of part worn tyres have had a repair, and I know that I would not normally have any issue driving on a tyre with a repair. Would it worry you, and do you think that the £30 refund was fair?

mark chandler

posted on 3/12/13 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
If you purchased a second hand car would you immediately change all the tyres if they had 6mm tread, would you even know if they had been repaired in the past?

Answer then is no, so nothing to worry about as long as they are not years old.

twybrow

posted on 3/12/13 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
If you purchased a second hand car would you immediately change all the tyres if they had 6mm tread, would you even know if they had been repaired in the past?

Answer then is no, so nothing to worry about as long as they are not years old.

Very true Mark. So in that case, a £30 refund is a nice Brucey bonus then?

mark chandler

posted on 3/12/13 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Brucey bonus indeed
bi22le

posted on 3/12/13 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Would not worry me a sausage.

What will scare some is my current r888 yrack tyres jave a repair in them. Not an issue. The repair is perfect.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

mookaloid

posted on 3/12/13 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Bargain

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

prawnabie

posted on 3/12/13 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
A tyre repair is ot a problem if it is not to the correct standard and in a repairable place on the tyre!
twybrow

posted on 3/12/13 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
I am told the repair is smack bang in the middle of the tread, and has been vulcanised. The vendor says the repair is not visible from the outside.

Hopefully then I bagged a bargain, and they should be delivered in time for the cold snap - winner!

austin man

posted on 3/12/13 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
shouldnt give any problems always worry if someone has tried to repair the sidewall

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

adithorp

posted on 3/12/13 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Don't do it! Unless you wish to die horribly you should go for something like THIS

Seriously they'll be fine. Don't sweat over it.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

ashg

posted on 3/12/13 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
it will be fine its not like your gonna top it out at 155mph in the winter

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

PSpirine

posted on 3/12/13 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Truth is if he hadn't noticed the repair, you may well not have noticed it either, and it would have made no difference whatsoever.

Tyre repairs in the centre of the tread shouldn't eve cause any problems, if done properly (not difficult to do!).

PSpirine

posted on 3/12/13 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
it will be fine its not like your gonna top it out at 155mph in the winter

True, although do check the speed rating of your winter tyres. I once put winter tyres on that were rated to 112mph (or something similar), and the car was capable of exceeding that very readily!

ste

posted on 4/12/13 at 05:55 AM Reply With Quote
Seems expensive to me, but depends on the size i guess.

You'll pay another £40 at least to have them fitted and balanced

Just as a guide, I gave £100 to have four pirelli winter tyres fitted which I picked myself off the shelf.

This is from our local part worn tyre place.

I took my sister on tuesday to get four on her BMW which again cost £100 for 205/55/15. I chose continentals with about 6mm on each and got to choose which ones.

Not knocking you, but ebay can be expensive if you don't compare to what's already out there.

ashg

posted on 4/12/13 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
its a 535 so chances they will be at least 18inch and 255 wide bridgestone run flats are near on 300 a corner so he got a good deal

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

ste

posted on 4/12/13 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
£35 a corner fitted for those. Looked at them for a mate
sdh2903

posted on 4/12/13 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
eBay does tend to inflate (no pun intended) winter tyre prices this time of year, I find gumtree better I picked up 4 225 40 18 conti winter contacts with 7mm on them yesterday for £100. It was an 80 mile round trip to collect and 6 quid each fitting but still only £140 all in fitted including petrol to go get them.

still think the OP got a very good price even with a repair. Esp off eBay.

twybrow

posted on 4/12/13 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the feedback chaps. I had done plenty of searching, and I couldn't find a quality brand with sufficient tread left, for a decent price locally. All of the part worn places were offering 4mm tread, which will probably be tyres sent from somewhere like Germany, where 4mm is the minimum tread depth for winter tyres. Some of the prices mentioned in this thread seem very low (£25-35 a corner fitted for good brand tyres with sufficient tread left - show me where please!).
prawnabie

posted on 4/12/13 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
its a 535 so chances they will be at least 18inch and 255 wide bridgestone run flats are near on 300 a corner so he got a good deal

I can get Bridgstone runflats for less that half that price!!!

mcerd1

posted on 4/12/13 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
I am told the repair is smack bang in the middle of the tread, and has been vulcanised. The vendor says the repair is not visible from the outside.
I had a puncture right at the edge of the tread in one of my tyres - the tyre was only 4 weeks old

but the local tyre place I use sent it off for a vulcanised repair - cost £20 and took a week or so to come back, but it was perfect - you could hardly see any sing of the repair even on the inside ! saved me £55 on a new tyre

so I'm sure it'll be fine, but with any s/h tyres just keep an eye open for any other signs of damage

-

owelly

posted on 4/12/13 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
My only concern is the comment about not being able to see the repair from the outside. You should be able to see the plug from the 'mushroom' patch. If not, they may have used a normal flat (tube) patch. Just have a little peep!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 4/12/13 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ if its a vulcanised repair I don't think it should have a patch at all.....

-

david_hornet27

posted on 4/12/13 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ Vulcanised repair patches look like a mushroom, with the thin part pulled through the puncture and the wider part glued to the inside of the tyre. You will see a patch inside...

'If everything seems under control you're just not going fast enough' - Mario Andretti

owelly

posted on 4/12/13 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
^^^
I like these little arrows.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
david_hornet27

posted on 4/12/13 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ So do I!

These are pretty good too... -------> <---------

'If everything seems under control you're just not going fast enough' - Mario Andretti

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.