Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Run a PC fan from mains
rdodger

posted on 14/12/13 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Run a PC fan from mains

I want to run a PC fan from 240v through a transformer.

I tried one this afternoon using a digital 12v dimmable lighting transformer with little success. Basically the fan turned slowly then went bang and stopped!

Any one point me in the right direction?

PS. A PC power supply would be a too large to fit where I need it.

Slimy38

posted on 14/12/13 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Laptop power supply? Most of those put out 12 volts, and a great deal smaller than the average PC power supply.
40inches

posted on 14/12/13 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Is there any reason you can't use a 240volt fan of the same size?

rdodger

posted on 14/12/13 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies.

It's all about the noise.

We have bought this electric fire with flame effect. The flame effect is achieved by illuminated ribbons blown by a fan.

The fan is really noisy. I want to replace it with something as quiet as possible. At the moment I can't here Kit Car Crisis over the noise of the fire!

I thought that 12v axial fans would be quieter than 240v ones?

The heat comes from a fan heater which is also noisy but swmbo says we will never have the heat on.

No I don't know why we bought it either!

gremlin1234

posted on 14/12/13 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
it will be a dc fan, put a diode in series.

or use a 5v fan and tiny (usb or phone) psu

rdodger

posted on 14/12/13 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
it will be a dc fan, put a diode in series.

or use a 5v fan and tiny (usb or phone) psu

Aha of course! How stupid am I?

rdodger

posted on 14/12/13 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Could I use one of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220-240V-to-12W-DC-12V-LED-Driver-Power-Supply-Transformer-For-MR16-MR11-Lights-/221299285867?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Wall_Lights& amp;hash=item3386771f6b

MikeRJ

posted on 14/12/13 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
You can buy quiet 240v AC axial fans, and you can get ridiculously loud 12v fans. What size do you need?

[Edited on 14/12/13 by MikeRJ]

rdodger

posted on 14/12/13 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
80mm would do it.
Barlidge

posted on 14/12/13 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
I used to run a couple of 12v 120mm fans over the top of a fish tank with a variable transformer similar to the one below, the benefit is by dropping the voltage it slowed the fans down making them pretty much silent and giving just a gentle breeze.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Mains-Plug-Power-Supply-AC-DC-Charger-Adapter-Adaptor-600mA-3v-12v-/400572748001?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash =item5d43ff10e1

MikeRJ

posted on 14/12/13 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
For a given airflow, the slower the fan speed the quieter they tend to be. This means decent airflow and low noise favours as large a diameter fan as possible or in other words a 120mm fan of the same airflow rating will be significantly quieter than an 80mm one. If you can use a bigger fan then do so.

Mains fans in the standard axial sizes tend to be made for industrial equipment, and have high quality metal frames and impellers which is reflected in the price. Cheap 12v fans are available due to the extensive use in PCs, but they are plastic, often poorly made and can have limited life (especially if it's going to get hot around the fan).

Something like this PAPST fan (PAPST make top quality fans) or the higher airflow and slightly noisier Bisonic fan might do the trick.

For the lowest possible noise a quite PC fan and a 12v power supply is likely to be somewhat cheaper than a proper equipment fan, but these super quiet fans have a very modest airflow that may not be sufficient for you purpose.

BenB

posted on 14/12/13 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
80mm 240v ac fans are about a tenner from maplins or ebay import from hk for about seven quid. I've just fitted a couple to my temp controlled fermentation chamber. It may even be possible to run them via a dimmer switch for volume control.
rdodger

posted on 14/12/13 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
OK thanks guys. I will get myself to Maplin
gremlin1234

posted on 14/12/13 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
the mounting of the fan can also have a huge impact on its apparent noise.

in exactly the same way as softer engine mounts reduce vibration in the rest of a car

owelly

posted on 15/12/13 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
Surely the noise is the volume of air being moved in order to flap the ribbons?!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rdodger

posted on 15/12/13 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
The mounting of the current fan is a big part of it at the moment. The fan its self isn't so bad. I am currently bodging, orry engineering a solution.
MikeRJ

posted on 15/12/13 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Surely the noise is the volume of air being moved in order to flap the ribbons?!

Partly, which is why high airflow, small diameter fans are noisier than large ones (airspeed is higher), but you also get noise transmitted through the frame which is greatly amplified if solid mounted. The quiet PC fans are mounted using very soft rubber "plugs" rather than screws.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.