Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: type 9
mike2704

posted on 8/3/14 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
type 9

Hi I have just got hold of a type 9 gearbox, flywheel and clutch, it has the longer input shaft and I was wondering if any of you knowledgeable Locoster know if you can shorten the input shaft or will I have to aquire a short shaft and strip the gearbox.
I should have mentioned this is going into a 1680 crossflow.
Thanks in anticipation Mike

snapper

posted on 9/3/14 at 04:54 AM Reply With Quote
If you gearbox has the larger lay shaft bearing it will have a plate below the input shaft that requires the Caterham type adaptor with the cut out

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

cliftyhanger

posted on 9/3/14 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Depending on which gearbox etc the shafts are often not swappable.
On mine I paid a chappie to stick the sdhaft in a lathe and remachine it. Seemed a simple solution. However, I am short (literally) of space, and in most instances the spacer is the way to go.

rusty nuts

posted on 9/3/14 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Might be worth checking the ratios by removing the top cover , the diesel powered Sierras used a long nose type 9 with useless ratios
Paul Turner

posted on 9/3/14 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Might be worth checking the ratios by removing the top cover , the diesel powered Sierras used a long nose type 9 with useless ratios

Very true, the ratios are totally unsuitable for a seven.

But the 2.3 V6 gearbox used the same ratios as a 4 cylinder type 9 so there is another permutation to consider. No real point in using one, why spend extra to fit one when a 4 cylinder one needs no parts or machining.

Ways to check.

Take off top lid and count the teeth on the input shaft gear (the one nearest the front). A diesel and 2.3 will have 18 teeth, a 2.8 will have 19.

Then count the teeth on the rear most gear in the box, 1st gear. ALL petrol cars will have 29 teeth, if its a diesel it will have 31 teeth.

One other way to check, a V6 will have a clutch bearing support sleeve that extends to the start of the clutch splines, on a diesel the sleeve is about 1/2" short. Its not a good check since many diesels have been disguised by having a V6 sleeve fitted, only held on with 4 bolts and takes seconds to change.

WARNING: Never change gear with the lid off the box. The lid contains a support for the selector mechanism, without that support you will confuse the mechanism and its not simple to sort.

Best of luck.

mike2704

posted on 9/3/14 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
type 9 again

Hi, Gearbox is out of a V6 so ratios should be ok, been looking for spacer but cant locate one, any ideas of dimensions maybe I could get one made or make one up myself i have several bell housings i could play with.
Thanks for all you suggestions Mike

dave r

posted on 9/3/14 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
pm me an email addy, can help with a drawing

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

Paul Turner

posted on 9/3/14 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mike2704
Hi, Gearbox is out of a V6 so ratios should be ok,

Means nothing. Many V6's trashed their gearboxes due to enthusiastic owners and a cheap way of getting the car back on the road was to fit one out of a diesel, muck more plentiful.

quote:
Originally posted by mike2704
been looking for spacer but cant locate one,

Try Caterham, not cheap but they fit perfectly first time. Any miss-alignment caused by incorrect measuring/machining will trash the box and possibly the crank. Its not something to get wrong. How do I know, a mate tried to save money.

snapper

posted on 9/3/14 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
[/URL]

[Edited on 9/3/14 by snapper]

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.