Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 5 Cylinder Duratec@ 255bhp
Irony

posted on 28/4/14 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
5 Cylinder Duratec@ 255bhp

Chavo (as he's now called) as just turned up at work with a Focus ST in ASBO Blue. He says its a 5 Cylinder Duratec Engine thats outputting about 260bhp (as its had some work apparently).

I didn't know you could get Duratecs in 5 Cylinder versions. Or is this a rebranded engine from another manufacturer? Seems high BHP. Why don't we see people using these engines in kits?

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 28/4/14 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
[Whisper]Volvo T5[/Whisper]

Not that high for a Turbo engine really, not when you consider the Honda S2000 engine is at 240/250 naturally aspirated.

A few people have the T5 in their toy cars. I'll be putting putting one in my middy once its on the road. Search for Benzines posts, he had an MK with one in.

[Edited on 28/4/14 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Ben_Copeland

posted on 28/4/14 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
Apparently he's telling the truth, although dunno about his power output:

Powered by the same basic 2.5ltr 5-cylinder unit as the RS, the ST gets 222bhp and 236 lb/ft torque; a healthy figure compared to rivals such as the Civic Type-R and Golf GTI.

Oh and I get 272bhp and 308ftlb from my standard Vauxhall 2.0l 4 cylinder turbo...

[Edited on 28/4/14 by Ben_Copeland]

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

daveb666

posted on 28/4/14 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
You'll get 250-260bhp from a phase 1 map and new cooler on a Focus ST. so easily achievable.

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

mcerd1

posted on 28/4/14 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
as above its really a variant of the volvo T5
they are in the mk2 focus ST / RS and some Mk4 mondeo's

there is at least one westie out there with an engine out of mk2 focus ST, it was at stoneleigh a few years back...

remember ford stick a duratec badge on any petrol engine these days - the old ST170 / mk1 RS that had versions of the zetec E with duratec badges
the old zetec SE engines have been tweaked and rebadged too
and the mazda based V6's are all badged as duratec - even the 'real' duratec HE is just a version of a mazda MZR

[Edited on 28/4/2014 by mcerd1]

-

Irony

posted on 28/4/14 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
I think Ford have completely confused the whole system by seemingly badging Duratec or Zetec on any engine. Further confusing things by having a trim level called Zetec. We have a bloke here who drive a Ford Galaxy 2.3l Zetec and he swears blind that its got a Zetec engine in it.
nick205

posted on 28/4/14 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
I think Ford have completely confused the whole system by seemingly badging Duratec or Zetec on any engine. Further confusing things by having a trim level called Zetec. We have a bloke here who drive a Ford Galaxy 2.3l Zetec and he swears blind that its got a Zetec engine in it.

I thought the 2.3l motor was a Duratec?

Paul Turner

posted on 28/4/14 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Guess it depends what age the Galaxy is but as far as I remember the 2.3 fitted to the early ones was the ghastly DOHC engine based on a Pinto bottom end.

If that is the case its neither a Zetec or a Duratec.

For the record Ford never made a "Zetec" engine in 2.3 form. The "real" Zetec (as we know it) was only ever made as a 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0.

mcerd1

posted on 28/4/14 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
We have a bloke here who drive a Ford Galaxy 2.3l Zetec and he swears blind that its got a Zetec engine in it.

lol - well it must be a zetec if its got a zetec badge on it

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turner
Guess it depends what age the Galaxy is but as far as I remember the 2.3 fitted to the early ones was the ghastly DOHC engine based on a Pinto bottom end.
Not a pinto - but the 8v "DOHC L4" engine that replaced the pinto in the later sierra/granada's
it went on to get a 16v head and was used in the RS2000's and ugly scorpio's

nothing to do with a pinto at all - pinto's are much better

if you look it up on fords ETIS it'll tell you which engine it has:
http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

my last car (mk1 focus 1.8) says "1.8L Zetec-E EFI (115PS)"
my current car (07-10 C-max 1.8) says "1.8L Duratec HE PFI (125/130PS)"
the galaxy should say something like 2.3L DOHC....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_I4_DOHC_engine

-

matt5964

posted on 28/4/14 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:

I thought that the 2.3 in the galaxy was the 2.3 v5 VW engine, same used in the Sharan and Alhambra. (the TDI they used was a VW lump.)

Paul Turner

posted on 28/4/14 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt5964
I thought that the 2.3 in the galaxy was the 2.3 v5 VW engine, same used in the Sharan and Alhambra. (the TDI they used was a VW lump.)

Distant memory now, must be over 15 years since we looked at them but I seem to remember that all 3 variants used the VW1.9 TDi in the diesel and the VW 2.0 petrol in the petrols (what a surprise there). Pretty sure there was a VW version that used the VR6 with 4x4 but no idea if it was also sold by Ford and Seat. Ford definitely sold the 2.3 version fitted with the Ford DOHC engine but no idea if VW and Seat sold this variant.

No idea if anyone fitted the V5.

mcerd1

posted on 28/4/14 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt5964
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:

I think your getting them mixed up....

yes there is a 2.3 duratec - but its not fitted to any galaxy
the 2.3 duratec HE is in the american focus, ranger pickup and the transit connect (as anyone ever seen a petrol transit connect ? )
it also comes in a 2.5l version

as above the old galaxy's (1995-2006) both the 2.0 & 2.3 use the ancient sierra derived DOHC engine (although the diesel is the VAG 1.9)
these are basically the same as the ugly scorpio's (95 - 98)

the VW & Seat models of the same age have the same chassis, but use the VAG 1.8, 2.0 or 2.8 petrols
and 2006 onwards the galaxy is a mondeo ...

-

coozer

posted on 28/4/14 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Aston Martin V12 is 2 v6 duratecs married together. Saw one in the lobby at Haydon and thought it looked familiar, then on a look round the Mondeo plant in Genk realised what I was looking at:-D

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

pjay

posted on 28/4/14 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
The Mazda/Ford Duratec comes in both I4 and I5 forms (I5 also used by Volvo).

I believe you can get the I5 modified to 2.7L and there is someone I saw doing the I4 in 2.5L!

matt_claydon

posted on 28/4/14 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pjay
The Mazda/Ford Duratec comes in both I4 and I5 forms (I5 also used by Volvo)

Actually they are completely different engine designs from different manufacturers - the I5 is part of Volvo's 'modular engine' range available in 4,5,6 cyl variants which are almost identical to each other, bar length. The Ford/Mazda 'Duratec' is completely unrelated, although as discussed above, the 5-pot when used in Focus ST/RS was badged as a Duratec.

Ford owned Volvo at the same time it owned Aston and JLR, hence the use of a Volvo engine in Fords for a while.

jeffw

posted on 28/4/14 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Omex have a 2.5lt 4-pot Duretec running 300BHP NA.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.