Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Siezed Clutch
myke pocock

posted on 15/2/15 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Siezed Clutch

1300 x flow with Sierra 5 speed box. Came to get things running for the good weather and found the clutch plate seized on. Can I get access through the large clutch cable operating gaitor on the side of the gearbox to unsieze it in some way or is it an engine out jobbie?
mark chandler

posted on 15/2/15 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Get someone to tow you around in 2nd gear, if no joy try 1st with you foot on the clutch, engine off but not so the steering is locked!
scott h

posted on 16/2/15 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
Run the engine for a while to get some heat to the flywheel. Then on some private ground select first gear and with your foot on the clutch pedal start the engine, it will help to have a couple of assistants pushing. The car will move off but keep your foot on the clutch pedal and blip the throttle. To stop you must switch off the engine if the clutch is still stuck! Try a few times and if it fails then let the engine cool overnight before doing it all again, the heating and cooling cycle should hopefully do the trick. A couple of days spent doing this is better than having to take the engine out so be patient.
Slimy38

posted on 16/2/15 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scott h
Run the engine for a while to get some heat to the flywheel. Then on some private ground select first gear and with your foot on the clutch pedal start the engine, it will help to have a couple of assistants pushing. The car will move off but keep your foot on the clutch pedal and blip the throttle. To stop you must switch off the engine if the clutch is still stuck! Try a few times and if it fails then let the engine cool overnight before doing it all again, the heating and cooling cycle should hopefully do the trick. A couple of days spent doing this is better than having to take the engine out so be patient.

It was also suggested to me to apply the handbrake, although I guess that would put the entire load on the starter motor? It was on a knackered Cavalier so probably a little less value than a kit car!

John G

posted on 16/2/15 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Clutch

Years ago I had an MG Midget clutch stuck as it had been rebuilt over a couple of years. I removed the starter motor and used a paint stripper hot air gun (electric not flame ) to heat up the flywheel. Worked a treat!
The Black Flash

posted on 16/2/15 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
A variation of the above I've used to free a stuck clutch on an MGB.
Foot on clutch pedal, turn the starter - the car will lurch forwards. Quickly jump on the brake while its still moving. That locks one side of the clutch while the momentum of the engine and flywheel is still moving. In my case it came unstuck after about 4 goes so it's worth a quick try. If not then see if you can bump start it as above and get some more power into it.

myke pocock

posted on 17/2/15 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
John G the heat trick worked a treat. Many thanks.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.