Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Assorted Questions!
Squirrel

posted on 18/10/02 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Assorted Questions!

OK, so I'm beginning to talk myself out of this now...Really ought to speak to Martin at MK but I'm sure you guys can help and you're easier to get hold of. I will be working in a small single garage, and also have no knowledge of (or desire to learn about) welding. Having read the 'Car Builders Handbook' it makes references to making up a remote gearchange, and cutting the prop shaft to size. Will I need to do this if I use a Pinto or Zetec engine and associated box in an MK chassis? And if I use a Zetec (out of front wheel drive Mondeo) is it going to complicate matters to switch it to rear-drive? Will I be able to use this engine with Sierra mechanicals? And I also hear that I would need to be careful with the ECU? Any opinions?

Regards,

Mark.

donut

posted on 18/10/02 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark

1st thing is Don't Panic! You are not the 1st to build and you won't be the last. Every problem can be sorted one way or another, usually with money!!!! I am in the same boat as you as i'm still waiting for my chassis to be finished so i can pick it up.

If you are not going to do any welding (like me) then i sugest you send the prop shaft off up to MK so they can shorten it for you and while they are doing that they may as well lengthen the steering column and sort the steering rack at the same time.

I am not going to make a remote gear change as the gear stick looks close enough. I was told while at MK that all you need to do is bend the shaft a little so it becomes the same distance away from you as the steering wheel. Westfield do this.

Don't know much about the rest so i will leave it up to the experts!

[Edited on 18/10/02 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Findlay234

posted on 18/10/02 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
i dont know much, but thats why i want to learn. i may end up buying a chassis but im still gonna have to learn to weld, i want to do most of the work myself but i want the chassis pro made.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.