Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 3d printer
Daf

posted on 1/2/21 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
3d printer

Quite fancy getting myself one to tinker with and to get my son into. Has anyone bought one recently? Last time I looked a couple of years ago the technology wasn't really there for the price, but looking at the usual internet shops there seems to be some good stuff out there now. Anyone any thoughts?

3D software isn't a consideration - I do this for a living so no worries there.

Bluemoon

posted on 1/2/21 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Looks at ender 3 Check reviews on CHEP or Teaching Tech youtube channel etc for reviews

I have an ender 3 V1 very happy with it.

Was ordered on amazon seller Comgrow (in June 2020), I found them responsive and helpful seller (Chinese).

Comgrow Creality Ender-3 3D Printer Aluminum DIY with Resume Print 220x220x250mm Print Size
by Comgrow UK
Learn more: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083ZPVX77/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_PTZ80ZMF5391KFV94S6Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Newer versions are around but found above great, good print quality using amazon basics PLA filament.

If you go that route drop me a U2U I will send on some printable mods that were helpful.

[Edited on 1/2/21 by Bluemoon]

watsonpj

posted on 1/2/21 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have a artillery sidewinder X1
sidewinder
which i would rate but probably needs a bit more hands on than the ender, and i have done some upgrades to get it sorted.

As a first printer I think the ender is hard to bet at the price as its very well sorted and there is a lot of support/forum info out there.

On the cad I like you have access but if you want to get your son to use it I really recommend onshape. A completely free online 3d system that doesn't demand a huge hardware spec and does most things that the high end cad does.

The printer is one of the best tools i have bought and has been used for loads of projects around the hous eand on the car,

If you want stuff printed for the car you need PETG filament and i'd recommend sunlu as that has always worked for me.

Pete

Bluemoon

posted on 1/2/21 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
This is another ender 3 supplier if your feeling adventurous (i.e. happy to take more risk) I think you can also go direct:

(link to Pro version, performance is very similar to non-pro):

Ender 3 Pro from banggood

And the version I have:

Ender 3 from bangood

Note V2.0 is out, but not sure I would recommend it or not as don't have it happy with the cheap V1.0 ender 3.

Daf

posted on 1/2/21 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, look quite interesting. I was looking in the £500 to £1000 bracket, I'm surprised the cheaper ones are being recommended. Last time I looked machines in that price range were nothing more than a toy so that's good news!

I was looking at the flashforge creator pro 2

Link

Any thoughts on machines in this range?

Bluemoon

posted on 1/2/21 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daf
Cheers guys, look quite interesting. I was looking in the £500 to £1000 bracket, I'm surprised the cheaper ones are being recommended. Last time I looked machines in that price range were nothing more than a toy so that's good news!

I was looking at the flashforge creator pro 2

Link

Any thoughts on machines in this range?

No idea if that's worth it or not. To be honest from what I have seen dual hot end machines are not yet developed enough for me to touch one at that price point.

A Prusa printer may also be a good option - support and should be good.

To be honest for a DIY first go you can't go far wrong with the ender - if you get into then spend a little more on something more specific.

There are many mods for the ender as well as it's so common (I think over 200,000 have been sold). I would look around on youtube the suggested channels in my first post are a good starting place.

Getting a good slicer is important - Cura (free) is very good and what I have used to date.

John G

posted on 1/2/21 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
3d printer

When lockdown started I bought an ANYCUBIC 3 d printer fot our kids. I used to be a D T teacher and this is far better than one we purchased 6 years ago for twice the price!
Have a look at them, your kids will get their heads round them in no time. Price around £199 on fleabay, great build quality, free software around to run them

Slimy38

posted on 1/2/21 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
I use an Anet A8, it's basically the locostbuilders version of a 3D printer. It's really low price, but you've got to invest a bit of time in it to get it working right. And even then it won't be the same as a production 3D printer. Half the fun is in the build and the tuning!
voucht
Contributor

Posts 229
Registered 22/5/11
Location 1

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roadster on the road since november 2014 bu

posted on 2/2/21 at 06:03 AM Reply With Quote
I'm in the process of buying one for myself.

After reading reviews and so, my choice falls on the Creality CR-10 V2.

https://fr.banggood.com/Creality-3D-CR-10-V2-3D-Printer-DIY- Kit-300+300+400mm-Print-Size-with-TMC2208-Ultra-mute-Driver-Support-Power-Resume-or-BL-touch-p-1557934.html?cur_warehouse=ES&utmid=16913&cs=44 &cs_md=1&cs_at=0

I need a 300x300 mini, and the smaller printer are too small for what I want to do. It also looks to give very good results with different kind of materials (I'm interested in printing in other materials than PA, such as ABS or PETG)

And it is on sale on Banggood now, 72€ discount with the code to be copied on this page (click on Coupon), and is available from Spain or Check Republic in a few days.

http s://fr.banggood.com/marketing-Clearance-Price-Promotion-of-3D-Printer/tid-19466.html?bid=44261&utmid=16913&rmmds=home-top-Banner

David Jenkins

posted on 2/2/21 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
I have one that I built myself, plus an Anycubic Kossel Linear Plus - a delta printer. I wouldn't get a delta for your first machine, as it's very hard to comprehend what's going on when it doesn't work properly. Similarly, I wouldn't be tempted by one of the SLS resin printers that are quite cheap nowadays - they can give brilliant results but the build volume is very small, and the resin really stinks. They are probably a bit of a health hazard as well, as you have to avoid contact with the uncured resin at all times.

However any of the ordinary 'Prusa-style' printers from Anycubic, Anet or Creality will probably be a very good starter machine. Easy to use, and easier to understand when things don't work as they should. There are loads of reviews on YouTube so it's worth looking at the adverts and seeing how they look in real life. Just remember that these cheap machines will need fettling to make them work reliably: modifying and upgrading with new parts you've made yourself is part of the fun!

Unfortunately, if you want something that works straight out of the box then you'll have to spend a lot more money - but it is fun playing with the cheaper printers.

designer

posted on 2/2/21 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
I have an Ender 3 I am clearing out if anybody is interesred?

Loads of filamet too.

Am in TA2 8PL

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 2/2/21 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
I have an Ender3. It was a bargain and ive sold parts ive designed and made worth 3-4 times what it cost.
Have a check through RCLifeOns youtube channel. Whilst in recent times its more about what he makes, his eatly vides cover loads of reviews on countless printers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNKaTjZOGd4&ab_channel=RCLifeOn

Mistral Motorsport

hughpinder

posted on 2/2/21 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
If you just fancy a tinker you might find a local 'technology hub' - here is a link to the one at the place my other half works - you can just book in to use the 3d printers, laser cutters etc, and the guy that looks after it will even help you get started/offer advice etc. From what I understand there has been little take up so they don't even bother to charge for consumables. You do need to meet the qualifying criteria as a startup but I think it is not hard....

https://www.businesslincolnshire.com/start-and-grow-my-business/grant-and-support-finder/lincolnshire-technology-hubs/

Regards
Hugh

Daf

posted on 2/2/21 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice guys, really useful. I've been working from home today and I've had youtube reviews running most of the day on all sorts of machines, I think I'm going to go for the Anycubic 4max pro. It's £500 enclosed and has a few nice features and a couple of upgrades should apparently turn it into a good machine.

I'll let you know how I get on...!

Linky

AntonUK

posted on 2/2/21 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have a heavily modded Anet A8 which works well but seeing the limitations of the crappy acrylic frame now.

A few people I know have the ender 3 and 5's and are very happy with them. They don't seem to have to 'tinker' as much as I do.

Depends how hands on you want to be but the Hypercube Evolution is worth looking at. Very locost'esque you get designs online and you source the parts yourself. Build instructions are pretty comprehensive but lots of scope for customisation. I'm putting together a 310x310x400 machine atm and can't wait to start getting the spanners out to assemble it

Build Photos Here

Daf

posted on 3/2/21 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
To be honest for my first machine I'd like something more 'out of the box' than a fully DIY kit so that I can get into it a bit and then perhaps tackle something like you've suggested. Also I don't think my son has the patience to wait for me to assemble it (he's only 7!)

Interesting what you said about the ender 5 and your friends being pleased with them, it was between the ender 5 and the anycubic - I'm leaning towards the anycubic with it being enclosed and the advantages that gives.

AntonUK

posted on 3/2/21 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daf
To be honest for my first machine I'd like something more 'out of the box' than a fully DIY kit so that I can get into it a bit and then perhaps tackle something like you've suggested. Also I don't think my son has the patience to wait for me to assemble it (he's only 7!)

Interesting what you said about the ender 5 and your friends being pleased with them, it was between the ender 5 and the anycubic - I'm leaning towards the anycubic with it being enclosed and the advantages that gives.

While I don't have any direct experience of either the ender or anycubic, what I can say is the anycubic ultrabase bed is very very good. I've been using one on my anet and it just 'works' gone are the days of parts coming off the bed mid print or warping. My new machine is going to have one too, although a bigger version

Build Photos Here

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.