Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Socket for a 3 terminal fan switch
nobrakes

posted on 31/7/24 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Socket for a 3 terminal fan switch

Currently I've got 3 wires with 3 separate female spade terminals going to the switch and although I've marked them all, if they get accidentally swapped one day it's no fans and maybe the box of relays going up in smoke too.
What I need is a socket/terminal block or whatever they're called but I can't find one - does anybody know of a supplier?

jacko

posted on 31/7/24 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Do you mean wire chocolate blocks try googling that

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 31/7/24 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
May be something you can use here https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk/c-50-connectors

[Edited on 31-7-24 by 40inches]

jacko

posted on 31/7/24 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Just been looking around and screwfix and tool station do a few connection blocks

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fred W B

posted on 1/8/24 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
I bought this kit from Temu, you get the whole kit of 18 various connectors for about the price of one 4 way connector in the UK.

Water proof connect

I also have some connectors that I bought over the counter in the uk (from Merlin Motorsport) and they do seem to be exactly the same.

Merlin connecter link

[Edited on 1/8/24 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

nobrakes

posted on 1/8/24 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
What I'm after is something like the connectors that go on headlights so the wires always go to the right terminals - I've given up trying post a picture of the switch so I'll try and describe it instead.
Looking at the terminal side of the switch, there's 3 single male terminals arranged in a similar fashion to a dip/main beam headlight bulb.
One at the top that's horizontal and one each side that are vertical and parallel to each other with their top edges about 5mm below the right/left ends of the horizontal terminal.
The three terminals form a squared off U shape the same as a headlight connector except the two parallel terminals are closer together on the fan switch.
Hopefully this helps?
I could just stick the wire terminals together with a big squirt of tiger seal but I think a proper connector would be better if I can get one.

gremlin1234

posted on 1/8/24 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
anything here...
https://auto-connectors.co.uk/collections/3-way-automotive-connectors

or
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275978229337

JAG

posted on 1/8/24 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Which car did your Radiator come from? Mine's from a VW Polo.

I bought a new Radiator but I found the same car in the Scrapyard and chopped off the OEM plug and gave the Scrappie £! or summat

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

pigeondave

posted on 1/8/24 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
A pic would really help here, but as you've said you're having trouble.
So, any idea where the switch is from, as in which car?

I believe that typically Molex connectors are used for terminals which don't need to be waterproof.

You could try a firm like digikey as they do a wide range and sell singles. The big thing to remember is that most connector are rated for current, so if you're passing full current through the switch be careful. I think you mentioned a relay so no problems.

Best of luck with the internet hunt.

pigeondave

posted on 1/8/24 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Does it look like that?
switch

[img]https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/img/toggle_switches_single_pole_orig.jpg?q=80&fm=webp&fit=fill&w=900&h=612&s=639523e38 cfd4e5224f240bdaca48c72[/img]

nick205

posted on 1/8/24 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Which car did your Radiator come from? Mine's from a VW Polo.

I bought a new Radiator but I found the same car in the Scrapyard and chopped off the OEM plug and gave the Scrappie £! or summat

From memory that's exactly what I did.

My local scrappy back then (2006 ish) used to let you crawl around the cars (stacked 2-3 high) and get what you wanted. Show him what you'd got and he'd come up with a price(a fair few little bits fell in the tool box or pocket).

nobrakes

posted on 1/8/24 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for all the replies but...

gremlin12334 - nothing that fits on the auto-connectors site and the ebay one has the terminals in the wrong orientation, they're all parallel and mine are arranged a bit like a headlight connector.

JAG/nick205 - it's a one-off rad built to fit the available space but the temperature switch doesn't go into the rad anyway, it's got a male M22x1.5mm thread and screws into a metal pipe with a matching threaded hole fitted in the top hose. Unfortunately I don't know what cars used this switch so I could be a long time searching at the scrappie. Do they even let you wander around and take parts off yourself nowadays?

pigeondave : as above, I don't know what car would've used this switch, I just chose one from the Intermotor parts list on this site that had heat ranges I reckoned would be suitable, namely on at 88°/off at 83° and on at 92°/off at 87°.
There's a bunch of relays which connects the two fans in series when the low temperature switch closes so they run slowly and in parallel when the high temperature switch closes so they run fast. The switch only carries enough current to energise the relay coils and the relays carry the high current to the fans so no need for anything heavy duty.

nobrakes

posted on 1/8/24 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'm getting somewhere, this is the type and size switch I've got and the ad says it's used on some old Citroens and Peugeots.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176428951937

40inches

posted on 1/8/24 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Would this do it? The same orientation as the switch https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk/c-50-connectors/c-117-multi-connectors/p-613-multi-connectors-6-3mm
Click on 3 way in the box.

nobrakes

posted on 2/8/24 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
I've already seen that one but the 2 parallel female connections looked too far apart. However, they don't show it assembled with the female terminals in place so maybe they just look too widely spaced in the picture and do actually fit?
I'll send them an accurate dimensioned drawing and a picture of the switch and see what they say.

cliftyhanger

posted on 2/8/24 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
If all else fails, marking the switch or fixing marked tails with a seperate connector. Or change to a VW type sensor which seem available with plugs.
JAG

posted on 6/8/24 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
It seems you can buy the VW Polo plug separately...

Here: www.retrofication.co.uk

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

gremlin1234

posted on 6/8/24 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
another alternative, is just solder some short wires onto the switch (pigtails), and then use any 3 way connector.

[Edited on 6/8/24 by gremlin1234]

jacko

posted on 6/8/24 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Part no 46478033 plug may fit it’s for a Peugeot 12.25 on eBay
Graham

nobrakes

posted on 6/8/24 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Part no 46478033 plug may fit it’s for a Peugeot 12.25 on eBay
Graham

Sadly not, the pins are all parallel.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.