Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: pressure type brake light switch
NS Dev

posted on 12/3/05 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
pressure type brake light switch

I am going to use a pressure switch in the brake line for my brake lights, but is there an SVA requirement that, with front/rear split braking system, either front or rear must be able to switch the lights on, or am I ok just putting the switch in the rear line?
britishtrident

posted on 12/3/05 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Technically by the old Construction & Use/Road Traffic Acts it should be in the front line but the reg seems largely forgotten now buried by euro harmoised type approval requirements.
Northy

posted on 12/3/05 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
I put mine in the front as my loom had wires for a switch on the foot pedal there.

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
shaywez

posted on 12/3/05 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is in the front as well
bob

posted on 12/3/05 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Mines in the back as thats where the brake lights are,SVA didnt seem to have problems with it and i had spare wires run to the rear for future work anyway. Rescued attachment MK Indy build pics 077.jpg
Rescued attachment MK Indy build pics 077.jpg

clbarclay

posted on 12/3/05 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
you could have a switch in both lines connetced to the brake lights, but also to 'exclusive OR' logic circuit to work a brake faliure light on the dash board.

Hellfire

posted on 12/3/05 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Ours was in the back brake line...

Kitlooney1000

posted on 12/3/05 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is on the front line, but again, only beacause the wiring loom put it there

Doesnt matter what Sh*t life throws at you, there is always some other poor bugger worse off!!!!!

britishtrident

posted on 13/3/05 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Bit of history -- front brakes only became popular after WW1 before about 1926 cars usually had a hand brake which operated band brakes on the rear wheel and if you were lucky a foot operated transmission brake. Transmission brakes tend to be rather difficult to control ----- any one who has driven a car of this period will know that a foot operated transmission brake is not for the faint hearted so most stopping was done more sedately using the hand brake. When front brakes were introduced they either operated only on the front wheels or on both the front and transmission brakes. For obvious stopping distance reasons when brake lights were fitted they were required to be connected so that they operated inconjunction with any brake the operates on the front wheels (this included handbrakes such as on the old Commer/Dodge PB that operated on the front wheels).

This is one of the reasons why cars with a diagonal split hydraulic system always either have a mechanical type switch operating on the pedal or two pressure switches wired in parallel (found on some VW Caddy models).

With a front/rear split system the strict definition is that a hydraulic type switch should be plumbed into the front circuit but SVA testers don't seem to know this and in practice it makes little or no difference anyway

[Edited on 13/3/05 by britishtrident]

britishtrident

posted on 13/3/05 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clbarclay
you could have a switch in both lines connetced to the brake lights, but also to 'exclusive OR' logic circuit to work a brake faliure light on the dash board.

A light to tell the driver that his braking foot has just went to the floor ? I suspect the driver might have more on his mind than looking at warning lights.

clbarclay

posted on 13/3/05 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Unless i misread the SVA manual a light indicating of brake failure on hydraulic systems is requirement.

section 16.4
4 d.

NS Dev

posted on 13/3/05 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
not as long as there is a light warning of fluid loss in either circuit and it is a split circuit braking system.
Danozeman

posted on 16/3/05 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Is this pressure switch a requirement then or can it be a pedal operated switch?

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

NS Dev

posted on 17/3/05 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
No, don't worry, a pedal operated switch is fine, but as the brake lights will be switched directly, and I like the simple and minimal approach, I want to use a 4 way tee piece at the rear of the car to split the lines to the two rear calipers and have the switch for the rear lights mounted on it too, and incorporate it into the rear loom on it's way to the lights.
RazMan

posted on 20/3/05 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Mine is in the rear brakes simply because it was the most convenient place to put it . That way I only need use two tee joints near the master cylinders - one from the front m/c to the front calipers and one from the rear m/c to brake switch and long brake line to the rear of the car (which then splits on another tee to the rear calipers.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Danozeman

posted on 20/3/05 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Could u not use a 4 way piece for this and put the switch where the split is for either side?

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

NS Dev

posted on 21/3/05 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
Could u not use a 4 way piece for this and put the switch where the split is for either side?

yes, that's what I'm doing, 4 way t-piece at the back where the rear line splits.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.