Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Best chassis for a newbie?
Firefly

posted on 10/11/02 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Best chassis for a newbie?

I have looked all over the place and wanted some pro's tips on the best and worst chassis out of the following:

MK Indy
Tiger Avon
Luego Locost I.R.S

Im looking for I.R.S as i alrady have all the parts ready to go from a donor siera.
I notice that a lot of people on this site like the Indy but its quite a distance from me so before decide to travel half way accross england to get one wanted to check what others thought about the other two options?

Cheers in advance

Viper

posted on 10/11/02 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
What a big can of worms you seek to open....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Firefly

posted on 10/11/02 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Viper

Any reason why?

Does anyone have ideas on best built chassis?

Is the Luego or MK to RC book size with modified back to support I.R.S or completly different?

Viper

posted on 10/11/02 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
i am not overly impressed with the quality of the avon or some of the components i have bought from them, i have had a look at some of the other chassis available and equaly unimpresed(there are a few on here that will tell you to buy an MK) now i am starting to think i should have built the chassis myself or bought a westfield. To late now, though i don't suppose i will keep this car when its finished. Do yourself a big favour whatever you decide to buy go and have a look at it preferably before its painted and make your own decisions....
best of luck

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
interestedparty

posted on 10/11/02 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Get an MK if you don't want to make your own chassis. Every kit (including Westfeilds) come with problems, but the quality of MK components is excellent and the prices are good.

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

Viper

posted on 10/11/02 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
theres one ....any more ? of course there is, just not come out of the woodwork yet.

chrisg

posted on 10/11/02 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
I think if someone asks the question, and you have some experience of the competitors then stating your opinion can only help.

For what it's worth I think Luego and Stuart taylor are about on a par quality wise although some people have had some bother with the people that run ST,
The Mk is some way ahead of those two both in quailty and price.

This is the way that"word of mouth" works - if you are satisfied with a service you tell others.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Viper

posted on 10/11/02 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg
I think if someone asks the question, and you have some experience of the competitors then stating your opinion can only help.

For what it's worth I think Luego and Stuart taylor are about on a par quality wise although some people have had some bother with the people that run ST,
The Mk is some way ahead of those two both in quailty and price.

This is the way that"word of mouth" works - if you are satisfied with a service you tell others.

Cheers

Chris

Fair comment,thats why i said what i did about Tiger...and i also said anyone buying a chassis should se it in the flesh, don't you think?

interestedparty

posted on 10/11/02 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Seeing a chassis in the flesh will tell you something about the quality of the welding (if you are a good judge, that is) but won't tell you how well the other bits will fit, and whether or not any aspect of the design will cause unexpected problems further along in the build. For that you need word of mouth and reputation

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

Viper

posted on 10/11/02 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
true...very true..i should have gone with my first instinct when i saw their demonstrator and gone home again...

sorry i guess i am feeling a little peeved at the momment especialy knowing i could have done better....

Firefly

posted on 10/11/02 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
So does everyone agree order of chassis is reverse order is

4th Tiger Avon
2nd/3rd Luego/ST
1st MK

Only trouble with MK is i will have to buy certain parts from them and i was hopeing to make most parts myself or at least be able to shop around for example nose cone etc purley on distance.

[Edited on 11/10/02 by Firefly]

bob

posted on 10/11/02 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in the london area so a trip to MK's to pick up the chassis was a 340 mile round trip,i did look nearer home for a chassis builder but in the end my choice was made easy by the polite manner in which i was served.
MK helped me with lots of information about the build,plus the fact the service was good on collection too.

So i've no complaints.

[Edited on 10/11/02 by bob]

Squirrel

posted on 11/11/02 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
You sound like you're in a similar situation to me. I've spent the last 3 months solidly reading everything I could about different 7 type variants. I've dismissed all of them for different reasons, apart from the MK (and possibly the Westfield). MK seems to be most favourable on cost (although only marginally if you end up purchasing rather than manufacturing most of your parts), and the feedback other people on this site have given about the MK is also positive. You sound a bit more mechanically adept than me, as I intend to purchase all parts for mine, rather than construct them myself, which on the one hand will bump my costs up, but on the other might mean that I actually finish it. I think that most different suppliers components will fit most of the main-stream chassis suppliers anyway, so you may not have to source everything you don't want to make yourself, through MK.
StuartA

posted on 11/11/02 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Just my two cents worth...

We bought our chassis from Luego (and alot of other parts) and have had no real problems at all with the quality or build of the parts. The chassis is the live axle so I can't really comment on the IRS. As everyone else has said, paying them a visit is well worth it as you can ask all the questions you want. The guys at Luego were very welcoming and helpful before we even agreed to part with any cash.

One more thing, Luego are currently doing some 'Winter Builders' specials which might make their prices slightly more favourable.

Findlay234

posted on 12/11/02 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
what about the looks of the finished articles.

the MK look quite tall, is this the case in the flesh, i know its to accomodate the pinto but does this change the sleek looks originally intended with this type of car.

does the luego look more like the book locost???

anyone seen both of them and can give an idea of the looks, by what everyone says they are both good quality so its down to looks for most people.

Simon

posted on 12/11/02 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
When I collected my bits and pieces from Luego, I was given a tour of their premises - including seeing book sized IRS chassis, and their completed book sized IRS car.

I was impressed with whole setup, and if I was buying chassis etc, it would be theirs.

Also, as StuartA says, they are a very helpful outfit.

ATB

Simon

Gremlin

posted on 12/11/02 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
When i rang and spoke to luego they actually produce the chassis to book size but have both i.r.s and live axle versions. They even sell the modification unit to modify your own live axle to i.r.s so that must be book size.

I do like the idea of keeping the chassis as small as possible and was hoping it would be book size and agree although very nice that the indy does look a little tall in its pictures.

I am more interested in the overall build quality with regards to luego i.e the welding. It is about a 500mile round trip for me which travelling once to pick up the chassis is not a problem but just to have a butchers of the quality is a bit far. I was hoping to see them at Exeter show but apparently they are not attending because they are moving there workshops.

Does anyone know if luego are a safe option? Does anyone have one of there chassis?

[Edited on 12/11/02 by Gremlin]

EZy GreMLiN

"The only way to get rid of temptation is too give in to it..!"

StuartA

posted on 13/11/02 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Gremlin, I have quite a few pics of our Luego chassis that you could have a butchers at if you were interested. Just can't post them here coz of the problem with the pics section of the site. If you interested let me know and I will email some to you.
I pretty sure that the chassis is probably about as close to book as it is possible to get, as they used to make chassis for Ron Champion (although I believe they have made a few enhancements of their own to make life easier and the chassis better).

Gremlin

posted on 13/11/02 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
StuartA

That would be spot on. Im looking for an overall picture and close ups that will allow me to see the welding. Im looking at going for the i.r.s locost they do but not the v8.

mike_coutanche@weymouth.ac.uk

Anything appreciated. Thanks in advance.

EZy GreMLiN

"The only way to get rid of temptation is too give in to it..!"

Squirrel

posted on 13/11/02 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Firefly -

MK do deliver for an extra charge. They've just told me that they delivered to Essex for about £130. I'm going to take them up on the delivery as the cost and time involved for me to hire a trailer or van and travel to Worksop and back to Bath wouldn't be far off that. If you order most of the bits you're likely to need from MK and get it all sent in one go, it might save you some time and effort?

Viper

posted on 13/11/02 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
A chassis will easily go on a roof rack if that helps.

Firefly

posted on 13/11/02 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replys.

Im stuck between MK and luego now. I like the idea of mk as everyone raves about them and they all cant be wrong and i like luego as i can get a i.r.s chassis pritty much book size and i was hopeing to keep the size down as much as possible.

Comments please! Arrrggghhh Has anyone got eather what do you think?

Is it worth having it powder coating if not whats the best way to rub it down and coat it?

StuartA

posted on 13/11/02 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
Gremlin, pics are a little on the large side at the moment (about 600k each). I will have to reduce them before I email them to you (unless you have a broadband connection). Hopefully tomorrow (Thursday) night...
bob

posted on 14/11/02 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
I dont think there is much in it for the main 3 players in the cash for chassis biz,but remember this.
Each chassis maker is different and when you make your choice you will have to stick with it.
ie: i'm not sure if luego and stuart taylor parts will all fit each other.

Wadders

posted on 14/11/02 at 12:57 AM Reply With Quote
Oh sod it here goes,and remember folks this is only my opinion.

I looked at both ST and MK Indy long and hard and formed the following opinion.

MK Faultless chassis fabrication and welding,decent quality body panels,nice workshop,nice people, in short true engineers.

But Indy looks too tall and generally 'big' (possibly due to being designed around the pinto).The dashboard seems too big and flat, the rear driveshafts are standard sierra width and make the car look wide.
MK were impossible to contact.

ST chassis is adequately fabricated and welded,(its made i think by Ginetta or was at one time). The finished car looks 'right' and has a good record on the race track, Shortened drive shafts retain narrow track,ST always answered the phone.

But bodywork finish is pants,after sales backup is a bit naff, the steering column and steering wheel seem to stick out a long way from the dash, and the owner can be abrupt and condescending.

In conclusion i think most of the stuff available to buy is ok, you just have to decide which areas are the most important to you as a builder, i decided that i could work round ST's shortcomings and subsequently bought from them.
No regrets so far.

Good Luck
I'ts always a tough desicion when parting with your hard earned.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.