Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I can't stop laughing at this.
Peteff

posted on 5/6/05 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
I can't stop laughing at this.

No road tax. I've sent my thoughts in, how would they get everyone to leave the tracker on and how many people will bother with MOT and insurance once the tax disk is obsolete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 5/6/05 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Saw that this morning. I have never heard of such a flawed system ever...... If you stop people going to work the economy will stop.........besides it was maggie that killed the work down the road system. We regulary travel 2hours each day to get to jobs.

zilspeed

posted on 5/6/05 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
So - they take it off fuel duty (like that'll happen) and create a new duty based on road use.
What's the difference ?
If you buy fuel, you'll be using the road - the more you buy, the more you'll use the roads so the more duty you've paid.

Bonkers.

Peteff

posted on 5/6/05 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Plus with the fuel duty you get the people who want to drive bigger motors by way of them using more fuel. I think they're losing the plot somewhere. Methinks someone has shares in a technology company that they are not declaring.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

marcyboy

posted on 5/6/05 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
but you are all forgetting one thing!!!.
never trust politicians...
you know we will still end up paying road tax and tax on fuel as well as the new mileage tax...

Guinness

posted on 5/6/05 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
LOL, if they think that they're fitting a satellite tracking box to my Indy they've got another thing coming.

"Sorry officer, looks like the fuse fell out and it stopped working"

or I'll connect the box to a spare battery and leave it in the garage "It's been off the road all summer mate, been too busy at work to get out in it!!".

The other motive will be speeding. I think that in America if you hire a U-Haul or similar truck and drive across country the hire firm track you by satellite. They then fine you if you exceed 55 mph average.

Mike

chunkielad

posted on 5/6/05 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Stick lead around it and they won't be able to see it anyway!!!
1. How easy would this be to cheat?
2. How do they propose to charge people from other countries (lorry drivers) when they are here as they currently use our fuel and pay accordingly.
3. Do they think that this will stop traffic or just wee people off and we'll have the same ammount of traffic anyway as people will still need to go places.
4. Wouldn't a motorway system be advantageous where we have two tiers. Bottom for lorries and large vehicles. Top for small vehicles, less effected by the wind.
5. WTF are our government on? I'll go out and buy the biggest engined car I can find when they do this so I can guzzle fuel all day long and kill the environment!!!

DavidM

posted on 5/6/05 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Of course this is also another way of finding out where you are at any given time.
Although apparently this shouldn't bother me if I have nothing to hide.

David

Proportion is Everything

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/6/05 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
on the bbc news site, they expect people will approve the idea and it will take approx 10 years to start, and be piloted in leeds.

me, I have to do 100 miles a day to get to the place i work, and along with others that have to travel for a living, like sales reps, it would make life extremely hard.

as this is becoming a society where we dont make, just buy, there will be more sales related jobs, and therefore more reps visiiting customers on the roads.

i think the ability to go a to b when you want is the right of all. in the usa they would go nuts if freedoms were restricted in this way.

might be a big market on ebay for sat tracking bypassing boxes!

atb

steve

[Edited on 5/6/05 by stephen_gusterson]

suparuss

posted on 5/6/05 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
im kind of on the fence on this one, i drive a big car 4x4 cos i cant afford a car and a van at the same time, so maybe i will save money. but i can see a lot of people will lose out. personaly i think this is another instance where the government are passing there problems on to joe public. lets not forget it is the governments incompetence that has made the trains unreliable and designed a poo road system (m1 - m62 link for example) the train thing means weve got office drones in their hundreds in the morning using the Mways. we do also need a conduit for lorries to use, or the law they are thinking about where lorries cant over take because that is something that really pisses me off. lorries side by side for miles and miles with very little progress.
also, cant leave the school run out here- ahve you noticed how little traffic there is at a certain time of day in the holiday season? why not have school buses for every school not just big secondary schools?
the fact is- people need to use the roads, i for one dont go anywhere in my 3.1 turbo interguzzler unless i absolutely have to. so how much it costs really isnt going to effect much other than peoples attitudes towards the government.

end of rant.

smart51

posted on 5/6/05 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
What else can they do, to be fair? If they try and build a new road anywhere or widen an existing one, all the local NIMBY residents will complain. Unrestricted, we will all buy more cars and use them (by we, I mean other people of course) and if nothing is done then the whole country will reach 20 hour a day gridlock. By taxing motorists, they reduce frivolous traffic and get themselves large wads of cash.

A pence per mile / surcharge at peak times cost will encourage motorists to travel outside of peak times. By spreading out demand a little, the roads will carry a few more people and will hold off the grid lock crisis for a few years.

The big brother satelite is probably also a big draw. Along will ID cards and the DNA database that will go along with it, they can keep close tabs on anyone they deem to be of interest.

Chris_R

posted on 5/6/05 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go with it... If petrol, insurance and cars were free.

A bit of slapstick never hurt anyone.

http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DorsetStrider

posted on 5/6/05 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
If they do bring this in I will quit working and live off benefits for the rest of my life. Since between the 3 hours a day I spend getting to and from work, the crappy pay, and the cost of tax, income tax, insurance, petrol etc I'd be better of on the dole and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Who the f**K tightened this up!

Ben_Copeland

posted on 5/6/05 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
If they did that, i wouldn't beable to afford to get to work.. it's bad enough as it is.

I'm with Dorset, i'd just go on the dole, have loads of kids so the government can pay me more, get my house paid for,etc etc etc etc

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

theconrodkid

posted on 5/6/05 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
corse they wont remove road and fuel tax,its just a scam to get more of your hard earned,public transport is rubbish and full of spotty chavs and dosnt go anywhere we need it to so we need our cars and have to pay and pay.
revolution anyone?
if these detectors do come in,they can be dissabled by tin foil over the antenna

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

paulf

posted on 5/6/05 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like another scam to me , they have refused the idea of doing away with road tax and putting the duty on petrol , when it has been suggested in the past but in my mind they have kept road tax and added on the fuel duty .
I think the idea of the sat trackers would be to save them putting up more speed cameras and they would be able to send a bill to everyone that exceeded the speed limit at any time. They would have to change the point system though, or no one would have a license after the first week.
Having said that I dont think it is feasible at present and the goverment are totally out of touch with reality, and are showing just how stupid they are to propose such a system.
Paul.

theconrodkid

posted on 5/6/05 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
i belive the technoligy allready exists,in the usa renta cars have a system where if you speed they fine you,trackers are widley available so it could work.
thing is this sdupid government would insist on a custom system that wouldnt work and cost 10 times the present system.
i think we are safe for the moment

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/6/05 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
it wouldnt be hard to devise a tracking system that if it didnt respond when it passed a roadside checkpoint, it snaps the cars picture and you get done for no transponder.

a similar system is used in the usa at toll booths - if you drive thro pre pay, and dont have the transponder, you get snapped.

so, i recon they will design in a way of catching cars with no, or a disabled transponder.

atb

steve

[Edited on 5/6/05 by stephen_gusterson]

andyps

posted on 5/6/05 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
The system is already being tested around Leeds. Anyone going on the M621 towards Leeds from the M1 direction can see the gadgetry which monitors all cars going along the road. There are some mugs from the local council who have volunteered to allow the authorities to monitor their travel activity.

Why would anyone want big brother to know all their movements? I certainly don't. Can you imagine it, you average 31mph over a one mile stretch of road, and you get two points on your licence, a £60 fine, and £1.34 charge for driving that piece of road. The Satellite will actually know immediately if you exceed the speed limit. Microwave transmitters will be used everywhere - at least we will all get a nice warm glow!

How much will we have to pay to have this installed in our cars? - if an ID card will cost £93, a sat tracking system won't be cheap. And you can bet the government will expect us to pay one way or another.

Definitely time to keep an old car which which will be easy to remove the system from, and will have old style number plates which the ANPR system will struggle with - althoughit is probably hoping too much that these will still be allowed.

Time to stand up and object me thinks.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

wilkingj

posted on 6/6/05 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Yup..., £1 per mile, and the average driver does 10,000 mile per year.. = £10K road tax!.

If its only on Motorways, how long before no one uses them and all the back roads are clogged!

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 6/6/05 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
What a load of crap...

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

tadltd

posted on 6/6/05 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Wonder how it will apply to motorbikes? Last time I was in a traffic jam, the bikers seemed to get through without problem proving that they don't add to the gridlock...

Anyway, by the time this comes into force I plan to be living in a country where it doesn't have to nanny it's citizens (and has weather a damn sight better than here!!)

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

timf

posted on 6/6/05 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
consider

fuel is currently taxed at about 47p.

ave fuel consumption = 30 mpg

current rate = 7p/mile

proposed = £1.30!

hmmm 18.5% increase in tax

rearange into a well known phase

right off f*ck

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.