Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: drivetrain
shaywez

posted on 5/6/05 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
drivetrain

Hi, i am considering building a MK indy with a bike engine as my next project, i have not long finished a Luego velocity. I have a few simple questions though to do with the drivetrain required. Iunderstand the principle of fitting a bike engine and utilising the sierra propshaft and diff (does it need to be LSD), but how is a reverse gear achieved? Also i assume you have a clutch pedal the same as a car, is this right? All information appreciated. Some questions may seem simple but i am trying to build up a mental picture/list of my requirements at present, thanks
rayward

posted on 5/6/05 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Yes you still have a clutch pedal(it just connects via cable or hydraulics as it would have done on the bike), as for reverese gear you can either go for reverse gearbox(reverson etc) which has two flanges one to engine one to diff and sits in middle of prop etc, or have an electric motor which drives the propshaft via a toothed gear/sprocket and is not engaged when going forwards.

Doesnt need to be LSD but will help!

Ray

[Edited on 5/6/05 by rayward]

ChrisGamlin

posted on 5/6/05 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Just a note though, you don't actually NEED a reverse for road use if you don't mind pushing when you want to go backwards, there's no SVA / MOT requirement. It may seem odd to think about it without a reverse, but once you've driven it for a bit you get used to it.

tks

posted on 7/6/05 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
strange isn't it??

aren there hills in england??

i still can find no car with an electrical reverse explanation etc...

think an wiper motor could do the job??

TKS

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

smart51

posted on 7/6/05 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
my dad had an ordinary car that couldn't get into reverse. He managed just fine. You just had to choose spaces in car parks carefully. Park facing up hill if you can.
Alez

posted on 8/6/05 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
BTW, is a LSD any heavier than a conventional diff?

Cheers,

Alex

Bob C

posted on 8/6/05 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
LSD generally a bit heavier - they have more stuff in! quaife ATB & torsen a couple of kgs or more heavier, clutch, viscous types probably a kg or so - all estimates. I have a quaif & it's a big solid lump of steel where the open dif has quite a lot of air.....
Electric reverse - I'm making a starter motor powered propshaft centre bearing. This will also do handbrake, speedo sensor & feature a rubber donut for "cush drive" The gear diam of 200mm is a bit smaller than your average starter ring (so it will fit in my trans tunnel). To get an idea of what to expect put your car in 4th gear & wind forward on the starter motor!
The aspect that's troubling me most is how to control it - the power electronis is easy enough (it's my job) but how does the driver control the speed? you can't use the throttle or the motor will race (it's in neutral [interlocked!]) - any 'joystick' or hand control will be in the wrong place when you twist round to turn the other way. Best plan I've come up with is to hook your foot under the throttle pedal & pull up to go backwards. Any (better) ideas would be welcome!
hardest part of job is sourcing the big gear - I've tried laser & waterjet cutting places but they won't touch it; next port of call is an obscure distant in-law who makes cogs for a living & might be able to slip it through work as a foreigner or at cost. The rest of it is done & chassis mounts & front propshaft all complete.
I'll slip a pic on the archive or my website when I get the gear.
cheers
Bob

ChrisGamlin

posted on 8/6/05 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Daft idea possibly, but what about putting in a switch to enable the starter motor, then having a potentiometer on the clutch pedal?
Put car into neutral so clutch itself has no effect, then use the clutch pedal as an accelerator for the reverse once you've thrown the switch to turn it on.

tks

posted on 8/6/05 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote

The idea is lose on many area's...

Thirst there is no potentio meter in the world that can cope with 1kW...

and if there is then it would be more heavier then the car itself......

we are talking about huge amounts of power... and more if you give to little power to the engine.... (you hold the crank)

i'm surely gonna build an reverse....an electrical / digital one..

to fool the sva man and to charge battery etc while reversing i'm gonna program the cpu's to automaticly rise engine speed to 3000rpm etc..

the only way to go is to do it with PWM and some huge mosfets..(5x buz 11 in parallel and some huge alu fan cooled thing (amd athlon etc..)

and then i think i can cope with 500watts of engine power.. 5x 30 amps = 150amps *12 = 1800Watts butt!! an safety factor of 3..

half an horse power.. my goal is one BHP..
of engine power (800watts)..but lots of torque....to move the car..

potentio meter can work.. but not as direct motor drive.....

Soow needings/skills are:
- microcontroller (pwm outputs,adc)
- potentiometer
- couple of resistors (10K,1K)
- potentiometer same amount of the both but a normal adjustable one..
- programmer/program.
- mosfets to cope with 150 / 300Amps
- maybe some power diodes....

When i'm at this stage will let you all know..

Tks..

PWM stands for Pulse with modulation..
in fact what we do to control the rpm is switch the engine on and then off and then on again..the duration of the on pulse will then be 'connected' to some % rpm amount.. of the engine..

but untherload the amps rise sky high..

and in fact what we need is that we can cope with the biggest hills that we can meet...

you don't want that you are giveing full reverse and the car goes forward!!!

LSD's

YES they are much heavier but it depens on type of it.

The visco lsd (sierra ones) i guess they weight 5kgs more..)

but take a Beamer one or MB...they weight so much thats its a pain in the arse to get it down unther are car...

i think 20Kgs.. the weigth there would be in the heavy plates/springs etc..

[Edited on 8/6/05 by tks]

Bob C

posted on 8/6/05 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,
problem with that is that it's instinctive to push the clutch to the floor when you want to stop.... ooops!
hi tks
obviously you'll need more than just a pot (hence mention of power electronics)
However it sounds like you're thinking of over-engineering - PWM duty cycle control is all you need (the old human brain will close the loop for you!) so a simple single op-amp circuit can be used to create a self oscillating pulsewidth modulator - + some monster mosfets & diodes, peice of cake.
I'm certainly not thinking about reversing up kerbs or 1 in 3 hills, 1kW is plenty power for me. I'll probably spec it for 300A or so, limit the current by limiting the duty cycle.
Alternatively use something like the unitrode 3843, but I think even that's way OTT
cheers
Bob

Bob C

posted on 8/6/05 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
tks - just had another look at your post, you seem to be worried about the battery going flat while reversing. I'm reckoning that's not an issue - I can't remember when I last reversed more than 3 metres...
I think starting the engine will be much harder for the battery than parallel parking!
Bob

ChrisGamlin

posted on 8/6/05 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
Hi Chris,
problem with that is that it's instinctive to push the clutch to the floor when you want to stop.... ooops!

Err, could you not just wire it up the other way then, bringing the clutch up to increase speed? I guess you'd have to put in some kind of extra switch to only allow you to activate the reverse when the clutch is fully depressed, but not insurmountable?

Rorty

posted on 9/6/05 at 05:29 AM Reply With Quote
I fitted an electric reverse once that was operated by a micro switch on one of the steering wheel spokes.
Laser or water-cutting a gear for this purpose is well within posibilities; just supply them with a suitable DXF file. Why won't they touch it Bob?
Have a look at electric wheelchair and scooter parts catalogues. They lead the way in hi-torque, compact and light-weight stuff, plus, they have all sorts of nice little controllers etc.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bob C

posted on 9/6/05 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Rorty - I tried the laser company along the road from work - they don't know me from adam, so I can understand them not wanting to open a can of worms in an application they're not experienced with. I can still try the company my brother uses if the machining options come to nothing. I think laser/water is potentially OK: with only a 10 tooth pinion it's bound to be noisy anyway. Fair point re: wheelchair stuff - but I've been seduced by the solenoid gear engagement system that comes with every starter motor...(plus they're virtually free....)
Bob

ChrisGamlin

posted on 9/6/05 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look on Ed Cane's website, www.westicles.net, he built an electric reverse from a Scooby starte motor ISTR, its been very reliable for several years and quite powerful compared to most other electric reverses Ive seen.

Chris

tks

posted on 27/6/06 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Reverse

BOBC

want to build the reverse because its needed over here to pass the SVA (over here)..

sow can you give me some more / better hints??

only thing i need is a scheme to build up.

i already have one buz11 wich is connected to a microcontroller and the acc pedal

kb58

posted on 27/6/06 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Why do you need to control reverse speed at all?

When you engage it, have a circuit that ramps the controller PWM up smoothly to your "top speed" of maybe 1mph. That's it... I can't think of a situation where you'd need to have different speeds.

[Edited on 6/27/06 by kb58]

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tks

posted on 27/6/06 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
the engaging will be automatic

i will use a one way bearing...

when the speed of the bearing/motor is higher then the speed of the axle then
it will auto engage.

sow it takes away another nasty problem..

Tks

now i need a suitable motor and the controller circuit..

in the controller circuit there will be build in the speed smoothness..

because the motor and the controller wound´t last long if enabled fast..

also i don´t like surprises thats the reason i wat to controll those pulses..

tks

[Edited on 27/6/06 by tks]

tks

posted on 4/7/06 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Bob C

could you help me a bit? need a Solidstate scheme to control a CBR 600 starter motor..

Tks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.