Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any aero modellers on here ?
Jeffers_S13

posted on 17/6/05 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Any aero modellers on here ?

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=HydroFoam

Watch all the film ! its not just a twin hull boat...

I admit, I am a dormant closet aero modeller geek, I might be tempted to down spanners and break out the solarfilm to build one of these suckers though ! !

The guys are trying to kit it, they wont release plans for it at the mo

James

bigandy

posted on 17/6/05 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
That is brilliant isn't it? I think there is a thread or two on it over on the rcgroups.com forum....

I want one!

Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

Jeffers_S13

posted on 17/6/05 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Isnt it ace !? I want one aswell ! I cant quite make out enough detail to see how to copy it. The only frame where you can see a little more detail is where he sets off on the road. I guesstimate a hot 30ish size engine, it doesnt even seem to have a tuned pipe, from the name Id guess that its mostly foam aswell. Have they managed to determine anything else on the RC forum you mention ?
tks

posted on 17/6/05 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
how much channel reciever/sender would it need i mean would you use the steering all the way??

or do you have other channels to go to 'fly' mode...that would increase the skills nececary allot..

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

flak monkey

posted on 17/6/05 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Looks pretty good. Probably quite a small engine as it wil be very light if it is foam. The exhaust is sticking out of the back of the superstructure if you look, just infront of the wing.

Its basically just a hydroplane hull, there are lots of plan for those around, with an aero engine and prop for propulsion. I assume the wing on the back gives the control in the air.

I would have thought that channel wise the steering both on land/water is done on the same channel as steering in the air. As i think the wing does the steering (Im not sure though as you cant make much out in the vid)

David

[Edited on 17/6/05 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Jeffers_S13

posted on 17/6/05 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Now Im stuck on that RC forum ! I havent looked at model plane stuff for a long. I like those variable pitch props to fly backwards ! the 'norm' hasnt half changed since I last dabbled. Foam seems to be the in thing, everyones at it, simple flat bits nailed together with a motor lashed on, does anyone still use glow fuel planes ! LOL ! not much appreciation for the wing sections or anything, the motor just drags an airframe around it seems.

The guys on there are trying to emulate the hydro foam things, they just lash a load of sheets of foam together and have a go, they are using tiny battery packs and small electric motors though. Im sure I saw a puff os smoke as the 'originals' move away on the road though. They are getting very close to how it looks, climbing up walls with them sounds like fun !

colibriman

posted on 17/6/05 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
well I've never been into r/c models but that's ace.....

A real one would be better though....hmmmm

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ayoungman

posted on 17/6/05 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote

I've recently got back into modelling again after a 6 year break. Still got the earoplanes in the loft though. My local model shop has got small electric helicopters that are fully scale and fly indoors. Amazing ! Also, electric planes that are 8 ounces ready to fly outdoors.
Electric motor/battery technology has really moved on recently.

"just like that !"

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 17/6/05 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Those are racing hydroplanes. When they went in the air like that your chances of injury was very great. My dad used to do power boating and pulled a few of these guys out of the water when they capsized.
The model has such a great power to weight ratio it will fly. Just as the big one is designed to do with two inches of the sponsen on the surface I just remember when the real ones took to the air it was carnage on thier return to earth/H2O.

Matthew_1

posted on 17/6/05 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
The link at the end of the video gives the details http://www.michaelconnally.com/
bigandy

posted on 17/6/05 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
It's actually a small Brushless DC motor (electric!) that powers it. And it's designed to be like that...

Shame the chap won't release plans just yet!

Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

tom_loughlin

posted on 17/6/05 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Im an areo geek as well... but i had to sell my planes etc.. to pay for this car! had a few nice kits over the years, but now have bigger and better toys to play with (my car!)

Tom

Hellfire

posted on 17/6/05 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Amazing!

DorsetStrider

posted on 17/6/05 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Ok so who's going to be the first to come up with plans for a full sized version??

Who the f**K tightened this up!

pajsh

posted on 17/6/05 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
I graduated from plane building to car building but keep an eye on the old sport.

Shame is most stuff is now ARTF (almost ready to fly) and the building side has gone down in fashion. Most people just buy & fly. (Think Caterham!)

The electric side has come on loads and is very PC but there's no smell like castor/methonol or parafin/ether.

Will go back to building one day when I can't do cars.

big_wasa

posted on 17/6/05 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
I love all things like this..I want it,its the most interesting thing ive seen in ages

Im trying not to get pulled back into them as every hour and every pound spent is one less for the "7"..

Still maybe when ive done the "7"

chunkielad

posted on 17/6/05 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Free plans for a version of it!!!
Plans

flak monkey

posted on 18/6/05 at 05:50 AM Reply With Quote

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Jeffers_S13

posted on 20/6/05 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent ! one for the winter evenings...once my '7' fad has passed. We should plan a '7' meet followed by hydro plane 'fly-in' meet ?

Interesting how everyone has such similar interests and past hobby history type stuff. I love building models although each one seems to take longer and longer to build as I learn how do something better each time and spend a lot of time thinking how to make the finished thing as neat as poss, building from plans is best as it gives a lot of scope for doing things your own way etc...right Im starting to waffle now...

James

ayoungman

posted on 20/6/05 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
hobbies

We're all made from the same mould !

Sorry, couldn't resist the GRP metaphor !

"just like that !"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.