Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Piezo igniter
Browser

posted on 29/6/05 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Piezo igniter

Hello gents, does anyone know where I can get on of the above items for lighting my barby? It is currently fitted with an oldy-fashiondy spark igniter which gives one spark for one push of the button. Because it's mounted on the sheet steel frame of the barby it makes a horrendous KLANGGG every time it is pushed, and need about 20-30 pushes to light the blessed thing!
I was after one which, when pushed, continued to spark for as long as you held the button and, if possible, had more than one spark point as my barby has two burners.

DarrenW

posted on 29/6/05 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Have you tried going online to the BBQ manufacturere to see if they do a replacement? They may have a contacts page.

Other option is to try a distributor of that type or similar ones. I bet someone does a service kit.

What is the make / model - one of us could try and do a search.

Is it similar to the ignitor you get on boilers / cookers? I wonder if one of those types could be fitted. Or even the type found on super ser fires? Other option is to get an aftermarket piezo lighter (hand held jobbie) and forget about the built in one.

Browser

posted on 29/6/05 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
It's a Campingaz Eldorado. I've tried a search but they only seem to be sold in Europe now, probably coz it's only a small one and every gas barby you see in the UK now is roughly the size of an AGA! I was hoping to find one powered by a battery but if this proves impossible I'll just get a micro flame pencil torch instead

splitrivet

posted on 29/6/05 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
I would think a trip to the tip and get one out of an old gas fire or cooker would get you sorted.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

viatron

posted on 29/6/05 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Have you tried RS Components? There doesnt seem to anything they dont sell!!!

Mac

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Danozeman

posted on 29/6/05 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
What not just get a long ended candle lighter? Would be ideal and abotu a quid in QD.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

dave dickson

posted on 29/6/05 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Head to your local caravan dealership.

If you want a 12v one, a fridge ignitor would be the cheapest, but a cooker one will have up to 5 spark outputs for multiple burners.

If you want a battery-powered one, the ignition unit from a modern Truma caravan heater is powered by a single AA battery. Only 1 spark output though. Just rig it up to a press-switch of some kind and away you go.

Simon

posted on 2/7/05 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Go to Halfords and get one of the exhaust flame kits, that'd probably have one

ATB

Simon

JoelP

posted on 2/7/05 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
a piezio device makes a single spark by squeezing a crystal, this results in a brief surge of potential across the crystal, converted into a miniscule spark. A series of sparks would require a power input, and hence not be a piezio electric device!

Id just get one of those handheld ones, like a lighter with a long neck. Much easier and can be used for candles too! And setting fire to people when they annoy you...

ethomas

posted on 2/7/05 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
Get some charcoal, some petrol and a match you philistine. Gas has no place anywhere near a barbeque
Browser

posted on 3/7/05 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
a piezio device makes a single spark by squeezing a crystal, this results in a brief surge of potential across the crystal, converted into a miniscule spark. A series of sparks would require a power input, and hence not be a piezio electric device!

Ta, now I know how they work

quote:
Id just get one of those handheld ones, like a lighter with a long neck. Much easier and can be used for candles too! And setting fire to people when they annoy you...

Probably will do, t'will be easier!

quote:
Get some charcoal, some petrol and a match you philistine. Gas has no place anywhere near a barbeque

How did you know my name was Phyllis Stein?

rusty nuts

posted on 3/7/05 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
A and E here I come?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.