Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ebay Do's and Don'ts
Jasper

posted on 10/9/05 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Ebay Do's and Don'ts

Seems to me there are still a lot of people on here getting ripped off on Ebay, or at least having lots of problems. Ebay can be a really great way of getting stuff, and selling stuff, but from what I've learnt there are a few do's and don'ts to make life safer. Here's my 2p's worth, please add more. I think it would be a good idea to leave lots of long stories out of this thread, just keep it to helpful info:

Buying:
ALWAYS use Paypal unless somebody has a lot of excellent feedback and you never send them more than you're happy to loose. If they have 1 feedback and you post them a cheque your asking for trouble (sorry Jon - kneecap them from me mate).

NEVER pay by Western Union money transfer, there is absolutely no comeback at all, it's like sending them cash through the post.

When using Paypal I always use a credit card, not direct from bank of debit card. Your credit card company treats Paypal as the client not the end seller. If the stuff doesn't arrive or is no good they will automatically put the money back into your account straight away and take it from Paypal, and then sort the problem out afterwards. They will always favour you as the customer. Paypal will have to recover the £££ from the seller.

Posting - NEVER agree to have something sent without proof of RECEIPT at your end if it's of decent value, or at the very least a receipt of posting at their end for low value. If they don't want to do this then don't buy it. ALWAYS get it insured if it's fragile or of high value.

Check the sellers feedback, if it's dodgy then avoid them. But remeber, accounts do get highjacked so if something looks to good to be true (especially Buy It Now with a 3 day auction) then it probably is.

That's it for now, got to get back to work, please other people add more, and I'll come back and add more when I think of them.

Oh yes, here's another - if you get a second chance offer by email, don't click on the link on the email - it could be a fraudulant one. Go to Ebay through your favourites, go to your account, and see if the second chance offer is there, if it is then it will be genuine - I think!!

If your worried about fraudulant emails from Ebay or Paypal, don't click on them, just go through your own link to there web sites and see if you have a message when you log in.

[Edited on 10/9/05 by Jasper]

Jon Ison

posted on 10/9/05 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
my or should i say the Mrs problem was she assumed everyone was as honest as she is........

there not, buyer beware.

Peteff

posted on 10/9/05 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a couple of slow senders who needed jollying along a bit but I've never lost my money on anything. I did have a seller who would not reply to any emails but it was a buyer collects item and I think it just didn't make what he expected. When I looked he had done the same to 3 other people in the same week so I just negged him. One item arrived with insufficient postage and I emailed him to complain. He sent me a cheque for the full amount including goods, only about £10 but he had perfect feedback. I only asked for the difference in postage but he insisted.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

dave1888

posted on 10/9/05 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Noticed an ad for zetec valves a week ago or so buy it now £7.99 each and posted was £6.99
Jasper

posted on 10/9/05 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Loads of people hike up the postage to cover Paypal and auction fees - I always email them and try to bid them down on postage costs.

And don't take any crap about adding a surcharge for Paypal, it's against Ebay's regs so just report it to them. I'm not even sure people are allowed to add VAT either, which I've seen quite a lot, I'm sure the selling price has to be the amount you actually pay.

big_wasa

posted on 10/9/05 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
When it works its a fantastic way of selling goods you dont want and finding the things that you do.But when it goes tits up it makes you wonder why you bother..

Ive had a non payer this week,I could of lived with that but ebay wanted there money(£22 for a £100 car) paid almost straight away....And I have to do the work to get some of it back..

As said dont pay more than you can aford to loose .And if it sounds to good to be true ,it often is....but not always

niceperson709

posted on 10/9/05 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Since beginning to build my car I have become a big fan of ebay but I have had one bad experiance . I bought a set of wheels from a guy and they just never arrivved , I made use of the coustomer protection polocy and I am to recieve a refund of 42 AUD but the total cost to me was 131 AUD , This is because shipping costs are not covered by coustomer protection. so I would sugest that if possible get the seller to agree to changing the terms of sale to a higher sale price and "free" postage (to the same total) so you will be protected to the full extent of your expenditure . That I got any thing back was a bonus in my oppinion . and over all I have been very happy with the performance of Ebay it has enabled me to get parts for my car at a good price and to raise funds for my build buy selling surplus stuff .
My hints for sellers is to weigh every thing you sell and hve a way of working out postage. Describe the item as extensively as you can . have clear photo's and be prepared to make buyers happy , your good name is EVERYTHING on Ebay .
For buyers , CAVEAT EMPTOR ifr you are not sure about something ASK if you are not happy let the selller know and give them a chance to make you happy with the purchase.
Remember that ebay is not selling any thing it is other people like you and me.

Best wishes IAIN
life is not the rehearsal , it's the show so don't sit there thinking about it DO IT NOW
http://iainseven.wordpress.com/

Golden Dragoon

posted on 10/9/05 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
I'm not even sure people are allowed to add VAT either, which I've seen quite a lot, I'm sure the selling price has to be the amount you actually pay.

Sellers are allowed to charge VAT but they have to be vat registered, and if ebay catch you adding vat when you are not your acount is suspended.

dave dickson

posted on 11/9/05 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
when checking someones feedback, dont just look at the percentage, check the history and see what they have bought and sold.

have they sold a lot of items to the same few users? have the bought a load of stuff for a few pounds each and are suddenly offering somehting worth hundred? all are pointers towards something fishy.

when selling, be honest, describe things acurately and put up lots of photos.

Be polite. A few times now, people have tried it on with me claiming items they received from me were faulty. I check everything before I send it, so know this isnt true. I just tell them to return the item and if I find it to be faulty, I will refund them. No-one has even bothered to send stuff back.

When writing a description, keep the fonts, colours and sizes to a minimum. 99% of the time if a description is in massive coloured text that requires endless scrolling to read, I just dont bother and find another item instead.

[Edited on 11/9/05 by dave dickson]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.