Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Indy side panels.
zetec

posted on 31/1/03 at 06:00 AM Reply With Quote
Indy side panels.

I've got to the point that I need to fit the side panels. I'm using MK fibreglass ones but need some advice.

1) One side I will be sticking them on. Is it OK to do so in cold garage? or will I need to warm the place up for the glue to set!
2) On the exhaust side I will need to be able to remove the panel as it is the only way to get the exhaust manifold on/off. Any tips on best fixings?
3) The is a 3-4mm gap between the panel returns and the top and bottom chassis rails. What's the best way to fill the gap?

Any tips would be helpful...

SteveF

posted on 31/1/03 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Have you thought of rivnut-ing them both on - the rivnuts will fill part of the gap - and the panels will be removable.

You could fill the remaining gaps with large washers (above & below)- to prevent stress cracking of the fiberglass as you tighten the nuts

Steve

bob

posted on 31/1/03 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
KEVIN

I fitted my panels in a cold garage and so far are fine,as for thr gap between bootom lip and bottom rail mine were the same.

I used some guillotine cutting sticks from work,they are made of fibreglass 3.5mm thick 15mm wide and about 1.5m long.
They were just the job,if you want some i can take a few lengths to the box hill meet this sunday

zetec

posted on 31/1/03 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Bob,

Thanks mate but I can't make it, working nights at moment. I went ahaed and fitted one side this evening, went on easy, will check if OK tomorrow.

Now looking to get something to go over the cockpit sides, bit where you step in/out and section that kicks up to roll bar. Looked at blue show car on MK stand at Donny and that has some nice ali section, anyone know where to get it? anyone else found a neat solution?

CairB

posted on 1/2/03 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
I cut up come ally strip as packers for the MK fibreglass sides, after I worked out how much Sickaflex would have been needed to fill the gap

I made some ally trim for the top edges of the fibreglass around the cockpit and over the arch. The latter is a bit tricky forming them but easy when you know how. The ally trims were fitted on top of some of the double beaded 35mm wide rubber extrusion from Woolies (part no R678 I think). You can just make it out in Photos - Cairb - I made a mad dash for it.

I think that the tricky section is at the ends of the trim and where the side panels meet the rear panel. I'd be interested in yours and others solutions.

[Edited on 1/2/03 by CairB]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.