Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Unusual car tax problem
dave dickson

posted on 12/11/05 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Unusual car tax problem

I picked up a cheap mk3 astra for my sister the other day. Its an automatic by the way.
I went to the post office this morning to tax it for 6 months. They scanned the barcode on the green section of the v5, but the system wouldnt let her put 6 months tax on, seemingly it kept saying only 12 month discs were acceptable. Strange, but I told her to give me a years disc then to make things easier, but even then, it wouldnt go through the system. It kept coming up as the price should be zero.
I was happy with that, but she wouldnt give me a free disc. Seemingly the comptuer was saying something about the car being registered as a disabled vehicle, not the normal Private Light Goods class.

I am assuming a past owner was registered disabled and might have been entitled to free tax?

She suggested I go to the local DVLA office and see what they say, but as with any government agency, they open 9 to 5 weekdays, and I cant get time off to go there untill next friday at the earliest.

Anyone come across anything like this before?

raccoonradar

posted on 12/11/05 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
yep had that one be for you have to go to main post office to get a discs, which is crap cos of the hours they open or lack of like you say. i just told the next local one i went to i had sent the logg book off, but i don't think you do that now, seems a wasted day off work to sort it out
chrisg

posted on 12/11/05 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
The last time I had this problem the form had a section to fill in to change the taxation class from "Disabled2 to PLG.

Did you get a form?

Cheers

Chris

[Edited on 12/11/05 by chrisg]

dave dickson

posted on 12/11/05 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
No, the 2 biddies in the post office were pretty clueles and could only suggest going to the DVLA office.

The Aberdeen office as a bastard. One day it mnight be queued right out the door, the next day it might be empty. Seeing as I can only go on a Friday afternoon, Im willing to bet that will be a day its packed out the door.

UncleFista

posted on 12/11/05 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Ring 'em and ask when they're not busy, I know at my local office (Leeds) they're queing out of the door for a few days every month due to needing to tax cars at the end/beginning of the month (can't remember the explantation given to me at the time, but I'm sure it made sense ).

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Strolls

posted on 12/11/05 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
I had his with my car, too. A right pain in the ass, it is. As other have said you need to change the class from "disabled" to "plg"; you can do this the same time you buy the tax disc but you have to get it from the DVLA. I think you can do this by visiting the office in person but I just sent a cheque & the appropriate documents off & did it by post. This page tells you what documents you need - I think the V10 form explains the procedure.

Stroller.

andyps

posted on 13/11/05 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently if you are disabled you can change the taxation class from plg to disabled at the post office, but to go the other way you have to go through DVLA, and it can only be done at the time of taxing the car. Apparently this is so the disabled aren't discriminated against (but the rest of us can be).

I bought a car which had been disabled class and was not going to use it for a few months - you would think that you could just tell the DVLA when re-registering it to change the class, or actually that it would happen automatically as it relates to the owner rather than the car. I wondered if I could get away with not telling them and get free tax! Typical government department crazy situation in my view.

Same thing applies to historic class cars though - the car has to be changed from plg to historic class, but again it can only be done at time of taxing, at a DVLA office. We have a 1971 car which we have owned for over 20 years, got the tax free when it got old enough, renewed it like that for a few years, took it off the road and tried to re-tax it during sorn period only to be informed I would have to pay unless I got the tax class changed which I had never previously been told about!

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.