posted on 4/12/05 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Amazing lap by Ellen Mcarthur on top gear

Started the lap with a 52 reg, and ended it with an 03

Recon that makes it 1min 47 ish plus six months

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daz

posted on 4/12/05 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quickest round the track
marcyboy

posted on 4/12/05 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
i wonder how fast she would of gone in a rover ....lol
steve_gus

posted on 4/12/05 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
would have explained the change of car after the first corner

atb

steve

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zxrlocost

posted on 4/12/05 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
The armchair experts are off again
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Russ-Turner

posted on 5/12/05 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Good tribute to Richard Burns too.

Genesis

posted on 5/12/05 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
I'd had enough of the old Top Gear... lately it seems to have improved no end - roll on the next one.
Russ-Turner

posted on 5/12/05 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, one of the best things on the box at the mo imo.

iank

posted on 5/12/05 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
It was certainly the best episode for a while

Zonda taking a largish chunk out of the track record (relatively speaking).

Ellen M getting the new Liana record (though JC was fawning excessively I thought).

Rather frightening how shoddy the £10k engine rebuild of the 70's Maserati turned out, though the original owner must have suspected.

And a cyclist beating the new Clio down the hill in Lisbon (question, how many panels needed replacing after going down that alley? )

[Edited on 5/12/05 by iank]

NS Dev

posted on 5/12/05 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
She really IS superhuman I think!!
Genesis

posted on 5/12/05 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon Mr Clarkson wasn't just fawning that was blatant flirting. Creep, and with my license money too...

Mind you...

steve_gus

posted on 6/12/05 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Engage picky mode....

I think top gear is looking very contrived lately. My evidence :

1. The Ellen lap was a composite and not one lap, evidenced by the plate change.

2. How convenient was it to have the bike leap over the car just where a camera was.

3. Same for the baby bib flipping off the washing line by the biker helmet.

4. again for the scattered tables and chairs by the car.

5. Why is it that May always chooses the comedy car in the 'drive to somewhere' competitions.

6. Why did Clarkson criticise the beemer M6 on the isle of man for the yonks it takes to set up the computer, only to fight with hammond the following week defending it as a good car when hammond criticised the computer, clarkson saying it only needs setting once?

7. I strongly suspect that the oil was taken out of the mazerati and run empty for effect. If the cars had made it no problem it wouldnt have been much of a show. If the engine had just been rebuilt, blasting around a track wouldnt have helped!

For a show that won an award for being unscripted, it looks pretty much scripted.

atb

steve

ps

Ellen istn at all sexy - too boyish.

pps

what happened to sabine schmitt as a presenter due to clarkson having the dodgy back?

[Edited on 6/12/05 by steve_gus]

Just knock off the 's'!

iank

posted on 6/12/05 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve_gus
Engage picky mode....

I think top gear is looking very contrived lately. My evidence :

1. The Ellen lap was a composite and not one lap, evidenced by the plate change.

Agree with most of your points (don't know about the Maseratti being left oiless, but yes racing and rolling roads take their toll on new engine builds).

But I think you're reading too much unto the car change. It's acknowledged they have numerous practice laps (some with whichever of the stigs they have on the day), and a number of Lianas. I would be suprised if they kept the same car for practice and the timed run. Indeed I expect a number of 'stars' will run on the same day and they are bound to break a couple of cars.

Knowing the way TV companies film this kind of thing they will take footage from all the runs and cut together the best looking bits, especially if the camera guy cocks up a pan on the real run (for example). There isn't any other way to do it in reality.

I don't think this proves either way whether the runs are 'fixed'. But it certainly doesn't make me feel they must be.

Finally While I also don't go for the 'polish schoolboy' look, but I think the look of insane competativeness is the real problem

[Edited on 6/12/05 by iank]

steve_gus

posted on 6/12/05 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Im not for one second saying she didnt do the fastest lap - more power to her - just that it was a bit unprofessional to splice summat together that wasnt from the ACTUAL fastest lap. (well, that one corner anyway!).

I looked up one of the liana on the dvla site a couple months ago - its a 1.6L. Strange thing is its actually taxed - you can see it on the screen too - but Clarkson said last week they are track cars and have never been on the road.

BBC wasting our license money on unecessary road tax! I want my 0.000001p back

atb

steve

Just knock off the 's'!

Lawnmower

posted on 6/12/05 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
pps

what happened to sabine schmitt as a presenter due to clarkson having the dodgy back?

She the girl who raced a transit or similar round some german track (nurbegang?)

I was wondering to where she had gone.

At least she actally looked feminine.

[Edited on 6/12/05 by Lawnmower]

steve_gus

posted on 6/12/05 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
yep, that was her.

On the last show of the last series, clarkson was banging on that he couldnt drive on the track for six months on doctors orders. She was to do the performance driving for a while. They even had Sabine on the show.

She seems to have gone without trace.

atb

steve

Just knock off the 's'!

Viper

posted on 6/12/05 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Started the lap with a 52 reg, and ended it with an 03

Recon that makes it 1min 47 ish plus six months

atb

steve

trust you to spot that.....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.