Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: North Yorkshire to Drumnadrochit
Northy

posted on 29/12/05 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
North Yorkshire to Drumnadrochit

As we have people posting on here from all over the country, what do people (who live in these areas only please) think the chances are of me getting from North Yorkshire (near York) up to Drumnadrochit (near Inverness) tomorrow?

What are the roads like "up North" at the moment?

On the news they say they'll be several inches of snow tonight!

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 29/12/05 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
my parents live north of newcastle on some high ground, probably not on your route but they have about a foot of snow apparently. its the a696 i think.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Mix

posted on 29/12/05 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in Aberdeen at the moment and we have about two inches of snow. It's still below freezing and there have been showers every hour or so.
Not wishing to sound pessemistic but if you intend to go the scenic route through the hills I wouldn't recomend it. We have more snow forecast for this evening and tomorrow is supposed to see the worst of it.

Sorry if that was not what you wanted to hear

Mick

Northy

posted on 29/12/05 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, I want to hear the truth!

Please can others keep posting what it's like?
We are supposed to be traveling with a group of friends and I think there attitude will be: "It'll be right!"

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Johnmor

posted on 29/12/05 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Up North

I live in Alford, thirty miles west of Aberdeen, we have a couple of inches of snow. I'm heading to Nairn (near Inverness) tomorrow with a trailer, + Rangerover, hopefully the main road will be ok, but avoid any back roads. Forcast for snow to die to sleet/rain mid afternoonand evening.
speed8

posted on 29/12/05 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Whenever I've been up that way in the winter the main roads have been ok usually. Probably best to go up the A9 to Inverness and then down the A82. They should be clear unless it actually snows while you are travelling.
Avoid the A82 going north from Glasgow as you will have to go through Glencoe and I wouldn't guarantee a clear road that way.

Mike R-F

posted on 29/12/05 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in rural Perthshire fairly close to the A9 at Dunkeld. Although it's clear at the moment, as was previously mentiond, heavy snow is forecast for tonight & tomorrow morning turning to rain later. BUT, having driven the A9 many times, although it might be raining at lower levels, up around Drumochter, it can stay as snow long after it's turned wet just a few miles back down the road at Blair Athol. Take it from me, Drumochter is one place you DON'T want to get stuck in. Try Tayside Police in Perth on 01738 621141 closer to the time. If you make it to Drumnadrochit, say hello to everyone, it's where I come from (not that anyone's likely to remember me, it was only 50 odd years ago!)
Northy

posted on 29/12/05 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Its supposed to be an 8 hour drive in good conditions!!!! I'll be driving all day if its bad weather

Graham

dave dickson

posted on 29/12/05 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt risk it tbh.
There was a good couple of inches in Aberdeen this morning and it has been colder than a witch`s tit all day. A lot of the side streets are still covered in snow, which has now been nicely compacted and frozen.

Ive spent most of the day driving in and around aberdeen in a car with proper snow tyres and its been a pain in the chuff.

Country roads will be worse, especially if more falls tonight, which looks likely.

Northy

posted on 29/12/05 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys.
Looks like our friends still want to go.
Can you guys do me a favour and post what its like early in the morning (before 9am) please?

Cheers,

G

Graham

dave dickson

posted on 29/12/05 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
if Im awake, yeah
Mike R-F

posted on 29/12/05 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be up at 8 & I'm only a few miles from the A9. I'll let you know what it's like here.
Northy

posted on 29/12/05 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks again guys.

Graham

Mix

posted on 30/12/05 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
The thaw has hit Aberdeen but according to the forecast west and central Scotland will experience heavy snowfall throughout the day turning to rain this evening.
The advice to phone the local plod given earlier is probably your best bet.
If you decide to drive up allow plenty of time and try to complete the journey in daylight.

Mick

Mike R-F

posted on 30/12/05 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
8.00am in snowy Perthshire. About another inch or so of snow overnight. Not as much as expected but enough to make driving difficult. If it were me, I wouldn't try 'cos I know what it will be like on higher ground but if you're determined, try Perth police to see if the snow gates on the A9 are open. If the police have closed them, there's no point going as they won't let anyone through.

Best wishes for the New Year whatever you do.

Mike

Northy

posted on 30/12/05 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, just phoned them and they say all roads are open at the moment, but some are "passable with care".

They recommended listening to Scottish radio for travel news, any reccomendation?

Graham

Mike R-F

posted on 30/12/05 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Just keep the traffic alert switched on on your radio & alerts will cut in automatically. If you haven't got TA, tune to radio Scotland. Can't remember the frequency, but there's no mistaking it!

Mike

Mike R-F

posted on 30/12/05 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
BTW, it's just started snowing again here, really heavy.
zilspeed

posted on 30/12/05 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mike R-F
Just keep the traffic alert switched on on your radio & alerts will cut in automatically. If you haven't got TA, tune to radio Scotland. Can't remember the frequency, but there's no mistaking it!

Mike

94.3FM

And it's raining here in the central belt @ 9.09am - although it's snowed quite a bit overnight.

[Edited on 30/12/05 by zilspeed]

Northy

posted on 30/12/05 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, they still want to go.

If I don't post again before the new year we made it.

Just like to say:

Happy New Year!

Cheers,

G

Graham

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 30/12/05 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Lots of fresh snow this morning

Was out at two oclock on a call out and it was chucking it down.....woke this morn and its not stopped.......Fife is white.

try http://www.trafficscotland.org/ http://scottishexecutive.itisholdings.com/

Hope that helps and dont forget your passport and bring proper money!!!!!!
Drive safe
Welcome to Scotland

Northy

posted on 2/1/06 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Got there and back safe!
What a great place!
Saw Nessie too!

Graham

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.