Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto Bike Carb & megajolt Conversion
DarrenW

posted on 6/4/06 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto Bike Carb & megajolt Conversion

I was recently very kindly given a set of ZZR1100 carbs off Guiness - Many thanks. After some pondering have decided to go ahead with the conversion. This is what i have found out / done so far.

1. i spoke to Boggs for advice. Very helpful and friendly on the phone. Whilst they favour R1 and Blackbird carbs they said there is no reason why ZZR1100's shouldnt work. Manifold will be £176.25 all in inc joining rubbers or they can clean, rejet and mount the carbs for aprox £200 ish (depends if work required). Turn key conversion inc everything is £687.38.
2. I needed a set of trumpets. Boggs gave me a number for a guy in Skelton (Dave Fielder). He has kindly taken some off some carbs and they are on way to me. Again a very good contact (who also told me that he has supplied ZZR110 carbs to Boggs - this gave me some confidence).
3. Next will be to source some filters and fit them up.

What iam unsure of is (you will note from questions that i know nowt about bike bits!!);
1. What throttle cable will be best to use.
2. Will i need to connect choke?
3. Whilst i have been told mechanical pump will work i have been advised to source solid state low pressure electric pump.
4. What jet sizes will be needed? Boggs can re-drill the 155's to approx 175 to get it running.
5. Carbs already have what appear to be dynojet needles fitted (5 positions and e-clip on top of needle). There isnt any washers - can these be sourced seperately?
6. Will there be any unforeseen problems in getting the car to run? (ill keep 38DGAS for a while just in case).
7. Filters - i have U2U'd simon to see if his twin 45 filters can be adapted. What have others used (bearing in mind the locost theme here)?
8. Is there anything to be aware of with the carbs ref wear parts, cleaning etc.

If anyone has got their Pinto running on bike carbs following a locost route id love to hear from them.

So far all of the commercial people i have spoken to ref the conversion or bits have been amazingly helpful (Mac#1, Boggs, Dave Fielder, Malc @ Yorkshire engines)

Cheers,
Darren.

[Edited on 15/4/06 by DarrenW]

02GF74

posted on 6/4/06 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW

1. What throttle cable will be best to use.

3. Whilst i have been told mechanical pump will work i have been advised to source solid state low pressure electric pump.

7. Filters - i have U2U'd simon to see if his twin 45 filters can be adapted. What have others used (bearing in mind the locost theme here)?

1. a cable is a cable right? Any cable will do provigding it meets the following criteria. There is a maens to hold the outer in place and the inner is not too big to be attached. It aslo needs to be long enough. That is easy bit, the hard part is to translate the pedal movement to the right amount of throttle movement; that is done by a 2 different length levers; the weber/dellorot throttle linkage allow for that (about £50 but I recckon you can achive the same for pence)

3. solid state pump, facet; see FSE on the web; cheapest I found. you need to fit a filter before the pump; either one of the medal body facets (rather ££) or cheapo plcct one from VWP.

7. two things here; this is the size and backplate holes. It is likely that the filter box (I'm thnking twin weber/dellotor oval type) will be big enough for 2 carbs. you can make a new back plat, sheet of ali and bend up the side then drill the holesi n the riught place without too much trouble or try to patch the exisitng one and drill new holes providing it is an air tight seal.

dunno about the rest.

britishtrident

posted on 6/4/06 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
At the that kind of money you are well into 45 DCOE territory.
02GF74

posted on 6/4/06 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

yeah but they can be used on the zetec he will fit one day.....

DarrenW

posted on 6/4/06 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
ive got it in my head that i want to overcome the challenge of bike carbs so webers are out of the question (no better reason than that to be honest). Cost wise it will be cheap cos im going to spend some time searching for bits. Its only really the manifold that will cost the cash.

For cables - i understand the theory just wondering what cable others have used to save me seraching thro the motor factors shelves (lazy i know but why re-invent the wheel!). I doubt i will need a similar linkage as webers as the bike carbs - being a block of four from the factory - seem to have a common linkage point. Ill double check tho.

Keep the advice coming.

Oh - and Hellfire () - no im not going to fit the rest of the engine!!! Well not yet anyway.

02GF74

posted on 6/4/06 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
to save me seraching thro the motor factors shelves (lazy i know but why re-invent the wheel!).

custom cable: see VWP, cables by the meter, different diameters and the nipples too

mookaloid

posted on 6/4/06 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

I have been led to believe that bike carbs offer advantages over weber 45's in that they offer smoother running, stay in tune and improve driveability.

I will be intrigued to see how well they do compared with my 45's

Cheers

Mark

oliwb

posted on 6/4/06 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Cable's a load of tosh....go to a bike shop (push bike) and get a brake cable inner and outer (if you need the extra length get one for a tandem mountain bike approx 3m long) DO NOT get a facet pump they run at too high a pressure! Get a motor bike electric pump off ebay anything 600cc + will be fine or alternatively an SU electric pump, it has to be something that will cut out at about 2.5 - 3 psi max. They don't cost anywhere near as much as Webbers my ZX7r setup cost me £300 all in cables and all....175 seems too lean to me double check with BBros mines a 1.6 pinto and its running 175 jets perfectly. Would have thought a 2 L will need a bit more juice. Yes you will deffinately need the choke, as there is no accelerator pump so can't just squirt some fuel in either.....But again a bike cable on an old gear shifter works or I got my lockable choke cable from Ebay for £4....Yes they work better than webbers in pretty much every respect, don't require as much fine tuning and don't fall out of tune so quickly....they're just so simple and work so well I don't see the need for the old Webbers anymore! Good luck and U2U me if you want anymore info.....Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
trifield

posted on 6/4/06 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
DarrenW

Is Dave Fielder from Skelton near Saltburn as I have a friend considering doing a similar setup and is after carbs?

DarrenW

posted on 7/4/06 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Dave Fielder - yes he is at Skelton (Jennyfield Grange). He supplies Bogg Bros with some of their bits. Spoke to him Tuesday, posted cheque Weds and parts arrived this morning - faultless service. Well worth a ring.

Oliwb - many thanks for the feedback. Great stuff. Ihope there are some pics in your archive, if not id really appreciate learning how you did the conversion.

Thanks again everyone - keep the feedback coming

DarrenW

posted on 7/4/06 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Oliwb - i kind of geuss you are using megajolt. Was this cos you wanted to or cos the dizzy cap wouldnt fit with the bike carbs on? I hope i can still use my std electronic dizzy set up as its new and cost me a bit!

I know i will have problems with the vac advance so need to get my head around that. How easy is it to modify the electronic dizzy so it doesnt need the vac connecting?

oliwb

posted on 7/4/06 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
No the dizzy does fit with the bike carbs on....in fact it has to because it runs the oil pump so if you want any oil pressure you'll need it! No, I wanted to run a megajolt system anyway so just got on with it. I'd recomned doing the same because it just can't be beaten compared to an old dizzy setup. Plus you can put the whole thing together for sub £100....As to tinkering with dizzys I'm affraid I've got no idea....I do know however that trying to use the vacuum advance is alot of work, U'll also need to drill out holes in your nice new manifold in order to use it.....I wouldn't bother....HTH Oli.

Ps. Take a look in my photo archive and you should be able to see how much space there is between manifold and dizzy....oh and make sure u remember to buy a fuel pump blanking plate from burton's to stop all the oil disappearing when you get ur bike fuel pump.....Oli.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 7/4/06 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Ref fuel pump i have been assured that the mechanical pump will work, however electric pumps are cheap so ill probs go that route. Being an injection engine i have the blanking plate already.

Ref ignition - megajolt... mmmm i like that idea a lot. I was going to to it at some stage, sounds like a good idea now. Ref the dizzy - as i say my dizzy and module are brand new and could be worth selling on. Can i therefore just chuck in any old dizzy (ie old points pinto dizzy - i dont mean off a different engine!) in its place so that the oil pump still runs? It wont have to be timed up or anything will it? i wonder if i could modify an old dizzy so that it doesnt look crap (ie no cap etc).
With megajolt is it advisable to run TPS or are they just as good without (is this 3D vs 2D??).

Thanks again.

02GF74

posted on 7/4/06 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

i wonder if i could modify an old dizzy so that it doesnt look crap (ie no cap etc).

you can thake the advance weights off the springs and let them cut through the body like what happened to this rover v8 one!!

DarrenW

posted on 7/4/06 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
That kind of supports my theory in a strange sort of way. I guess if you run megajolt you only need the bottom section of the dizzy, as long as the shaft is still held down everything up top can be cut away. This means you have a sort of blanking plug but with lower gear still in place.

02GF74

posted on 7/4/06 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
dunno about the pinto (or xflow for that matter ) but it depends on engine.

Rover v8, from which that dizzy is from, has a cog on the dizzy shaft which engages in a gear on the camshaft. The end of the dizzy shaft is slotted to drive the oil pump. (there are 2 variants but end of dizzy shaft engages top of oil punmp gear)

There is a y-shaped clamp that holds the dizzy down to the timing cover; the gap between the two fingers of the Y go over the step in the distributor body - you see that on the right hand photo.

So if pinto has similar arrangment, then yep ; chop up that dizzy!! Throw away that excess weight!!!

jolson

posted on 7/4/06 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW i wonder if i could modify an old dizzy so that it doesnt look crap (ie no cap etc).

If you have access to a lathe it's simple enough to cut off the top of the distributor and the shaft, and machine the housing to take a small sealed bearing cartridge. My effort looks like this:

[img][/img]

Cheers

John

jacko

posted on 7/4/06 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Bike carb photos

Hi Darren have a look at my photo archives in the zx9r section it may help you . with fillters etc
Jacko

DarrenW

posted on 7/4/06 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like dizzy mods are very doable. is that a special cap made for end of dizzy to allow end of shortened shaft to run in a bearing and stop it moving forward under gear thrust??

Jacko, ive seen your pics before. It was probs them that gave me the inspiration to have a go. 2 Q's,
1. Was manilfold easy to make? Where did you get the plate from?
2. Do you need the airbox? Ive just got a set of trumpets for my ZZR1100's, was thinking about fitting sock filters direct to these.

This is all great stuff. keep it coming. I fancy making the manifold. Dont know where to start / get the bits. Id love to save some cash and do the project with Megajolt (deal almost done on this!).

Have a great weekend y'all.

darren.

jacko

posted on 8/4/06 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Darren the manifold is not bad at all to make it was about 8- 10 hr work . I made a jig to get the carbs in the right place as in the photos . I work with steel so just used a off cut from work

On my carbs i have trumpets fitted in the air box . I made the air box so i can still use the holes that were in the bonnet from when i had twin su carbs fitted Graham

DarrenW

posted on 8/4/06 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
OK quick summary time.

Ignition - Looks like ive done a deal for megajolt. Will fit that first and get it running with DGAS. Thanks for the tips. Ive got an old dizzy to drive the oil pump. Loks like i will have a brand new electronic dizzy and module for sale soon.

Cables - throttle, use push bike cables. Choke - yes i will need it.

Manifold - im favouring boggs for this. As soon as i have cash ill go and see them.

Jets - 175 might be a bit lean, talk to boggs. Does anyone else have experience with their jets as to what worked with 2.0 litre?

Fuel pump - ill use mech for now but be prepared to get bike pump.

Iam kind of amazed how simple this will all be from the advice ive been given so far.

One area not covered - rolling roads. Is this essential at first or is it possible to get it close at home. (I know that RR is essential to get the best out of any set up - im just thinking initially before i can get there, ie so it at least runs fairly well)

Dynojet needles - are these easy to set up? Mine dont have the washers - anyone got a spare set?

Next thing to get to grips with will be the megajolt set up. Again this sounds spookily easy.

Im still interest to read about someones full set up and experience of converting to bike carbs the locost way. (ie what they did, why and what problems were encountered)

oliwb

posted on 9/4/06 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Personaly I had no problems with the bike carbs...bolted them on pulled the choke out and away she went....had never heard this engine run b4 either so I was amazed! Megajolt was easy too just follow the diagrams and you can't go too far wrong! I'd just plump up and get yourself a bike fuel pump now if I were you (zx6r works a treat) the carbs really won't tolerate being over fuelled....a mates mech fuel pump on an old-ish fiat was too much for them even with a t-piece and recirculating setup! Their only about £15 to buy anyhow, if for no other reason than piece of mind!!! Good luck...Oli.

jacko

posted on 9/4/06 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi when i fitted my carbs i drilled the jets to 170 and it started first go. I would recommend using a bike fuel pump .
In about 2-3 weeks the car is going to bogg brothers to be set up on a r road so i my be able to give you more info after that Graham

DarrenW

posted on 11/4/06 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Ok - next conundrum.

Has anyone re-spaced ZZR1100 carbs? What is involved to do this? My main area of thickness is spacing the throttle linkages?

Reason i ask is i cant decide wether to go locost manifold route and make my own - hence respacing makes it easier to achieve a good result, or buy from Boggs at £176 (which i dont have). I still have filters, megajolt trigger wheel and bike pump to source so cash needs to spread a bit thinner yet and i have the time.

jacko

posted on 11/4/06 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Darren can you weld ? if so i would make a manifold cost me nothing but time to do . I dont think i would split the carbs i know a mate who did this not very easy to do [ fiddly ] Graham

[Edited on 11/4/06 by jacko]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.