Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Indy R1, SVA fail, now a couple of questions.
kurt

posted on 20/4/06 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Indy R1, SVA fail, now a couple of questions.

Title says it all, but now I have questions for you all.

1.Noise 104 dBA. Do I repack the silencer tighter with some stuff from Car Builders Solutions to reduce the noise?
2.Lambda 1.20 (range 0.97-1.03) Does this mean it’s running rich and do I drop the needle valve in the carbs to make it run leaner to get it through at fast idle emmsions test?

The rest of the faults were minor in comparison and it’s just a matter of getting on with it.

Still confused about the Speedohealer though.

Cheers, Kurt.

Jon Ison

posted on 20/4/06 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Re-packing the silencer tighter will make things worse, cant help with the fuel side of things but I'm sure someone will be along shortley.

Guinness

posted on 20/4/06 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Kurt,

I have a bit of kit that has fallen off my car since the SVA. DB Killer like this one, only not so clean, a bit discoloured by heat!

New on ebay for £12 delivered, or you can borrow mine for the cost of the postage out and back. I'll need it back for my next track day though! That's looking likely to be June. You'll be passed by then though!

Let me know if that's any good to you!

Got me down from 104db to a pass, at Gosforth.

Mike

richardR1

posted on 20/4/06 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Regarding the Lambda reading mate, you need to richen it up rather than lean it off. I had the same problem with my R1 injection Indy but got it through on Tuesday. Mine originally had virtually zero CO and next to no HC. Had to play about with the Power Commander to richen it up to get the lambda right. I originally started out with a lambda of 1.18. Eventuallly got it to 1.024

MK Owners Club Member 1015

kurt

posted on 21/4/06 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Nice looking car Richard, same colours as mine, red with black arches and cycle wings.

Anyway my CO % vol was 0.2 and HC ppm vol was 200, does this mean I need to richen it like you say to get my Lambda down from 1.2. If so any ideas how to do this on carbed R1? Do I raise the needle rather than lower it?

As for the DB killer Mike, I'm going to have to try and make my own and fit it into the end of the tailpipe because I've got the catalytic converter in my header/silencer link pipe. This is how MK get their's through according to Baz. Also Geoff has been playing around with Lambda sensors so I'll be picking his brains soon.

russbost

posted on 23/4/06 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Raising the needles will indeed richen the mixture, I don't know what control of the needles you have on the R1, but very small movement of the needle (Say0.5mm) can make quite large changes to CO. Do you have a lambda sensor & any form of ecu emission control or are you just relying on the CAT to bring emissions down to required levels?
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
kurt

posted on 24/4/06 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
I was planning to move the needles by one notch to alter the mixture. I don't have any lambda sensor and was indeed going to rely on the cat to cut down the emissions, which I thought it had done since it passed both HC and CO at the test. Am I making the wrong assumption here?
cossey
Contributor

Posts 430
Registered 5/12/05
Location Kent

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a pile of bits that will someday be a fisher fury

posted on 24/4/06 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
isnt 200 ppm the limit for hc so you may struggle to pass as if you richen the mixture to get the lambda right the hc and co will increase so you will then fail on the hc level.

it might be worth lagging the exhaust up to the cat to keep the gasses hotter which will make the cat work better and also try and get the engine up to temp before you start as this will help.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.