Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Will a Toyota 1600cc Twin Cam Fit?
Gazza

posted on 25/5/03 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Will a Toyota 1600cc Twin Cam Fit?

Getting round to thinking about the engine and 'box..... Has anyone fitted one of the 4age 1600cc Toyota Twin Cam engines in a Velocity? Will the chassis need any additional mounting plates welding in or will the Toyota fit to the existing plates (obviously using the correct Toyota mounts)? I know that the Toyota will fit on the Type 9 (www.rawengineering.co.uk) so its really down to how much mucking about would be needed on the chassis..........

Just a bag o' rusty spanners

fastenuff

posted on 25/5/03 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
hmm let me think for half a sec. the Viento is supposed to be bigger/wider. A V8 fits, the toyo twincam is sort of a copy of the old BDA engine, which is close in size to the xflow.
So adding all thisa I'd say it will fit. Some custom engine mounts and it is almost a go.
toyo engine + T9
did you look at the cost, for bellhousing and clutch modifications needed?? Also on the Raw site I reckon

GL

Ingmar

andyd

posted on 25/5/03 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Mr Enuff,

He didn't say Viento he said Velocity (i.e. book sized chassis with IRS from sierra bits).

Gazza,

If the toyota lump is close to the size of a xflow then yes it'll fit. My fellow builder and I started to fit a 1.8 Zetec but everything was just too close so we opted for a Fireblade instead. If you aren't too worried about what engine you have then I'd recommend trying a bike lump. Smaller, lighter and plenty of people now have good experiances with them. The downside is that you will have to spend a little more i.e. custom propshaft but then you'd have to do something in that area anyway whatever you choose.

Good luck in whatever you decide upon.

Andy

Findlay234

posted on 25/5/03 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
This is the way im going...... toyota 4age with velocity chassis and a T50 toyota box. its a pretty compact engine. i guess if Raw havent had any troubles with their Locorage then im sure you wont.
fastenuff

posted on 25/5/03 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
point taken Mr. D

With the availability of ford parts, in the RWD format, I want to stick with that.
At first that is, to get a feel of the package.

Ingmar

Findlay234

posted on 25/5/03 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Another thing youve got to remember is that the velocity only came out recently, used to be their locost IRS but the bodywork is different. I doubt anyone has actually finished a velocity as yet, apart from luego themselves of course!
STUART.SURKITT

posted on 21/7/03 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
TOYOTA ENGINE

I HAVE JUST PUT MY VELOCITY THROUGH SVA AND HAVE FITTED A PINTO ENGINE. IF THAT GOSE IN IM SURE THE TOYOTA 4AGE WILL ASWELL
Findlay234

posted on 22/7/03 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
hey stuart where are you in the uk and anychance you can post some pics of the car on this forum?

cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.