Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sorry, but R1 self diagnostics again!
kurt

posted on 13/11/06 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, but R1 self diagnostics again!

OK, I'm still getting the old tacho dancing up to 8000rpm routine, which is supposedly dodgey fuel sender wiring. I've checked all wires associated with the circuit according the official Yamaha manual including the white to the ECU for continuity, all OK. I've tried a variable 10k resistor across the fuel sender connections so that I can vary it and hopefully find a resistance that stops it, still 8000rpm. I've shorted out the connections still 8000rpm. According to the Yamaha manual the only course of action left is a new ECU, but that's about 80 quid. Does anybody have any idea what this problem may be? As you can see I've tried all suggestions so far.
Agriv8

posted on 13/11/06 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
is it defintly 8k, are you running xup valve i know this can fire up a fault code.

are the clocks and ecu from the same bike / compatable ?

are you running the fuel pump relay via the bike ecu. rather than from the car loom ?

regards
agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Bob C

posted on 13/11/06 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
You sure you're using the right wire for the fuel sender - I only ask because its the mistake I made. . . . . It was the green wire with yellow stripe from the big connector on mine. For some reason the wiring diagram convinced me it was a grey wire....
cheers
Bob

kurt

posted on 14/11/06 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
It's definitely 8000rpm possibly 8500. I don't have a car loom, I've extended and added to the R1 loom, so the fuel pump is running from that. According to my wiring diagram, the fuel sender has a green and white wire, and a black earth wire running to it. The Yamaha manual also says there is a white from the clocks to the ECU, all are OK. The clocks and ECU are both 4XV. fault code for EXUP is 7000rpm, definitely not this. Only other one is 3000rpm for the throttle position sensor.
speed8

posted on 14/11/06 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Might be silly questions here but there's only a few wires so I might as well ask.

I assume you are not using the fuel sender so have you tried a wire across the plug or taking the G/W directly to ground.

The wiring diagram does say G/W but a lot of previous posts say G/Y.

zxrlocost

posted on 14/11/06 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
does the fuel light come on when you short the little green plug using NO resistors just a piece of wire

8k was the fuel sender on mine
only other thing would be exup

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Coose

posted on 14/11/06 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
On my 5JJ I recall one wire being shown as the wrong colour and it may have been for the fuel sender. It's two years since I made my loom (extended R1 loom similar to yours) and it's now bound up so I can't go and check. I would trace the wiring back to the clocks to ensure that you're looking at the correct wires.

I don't think that the ECU has any control over the fuel fault code, though I could be wrong....

Spin 'er off Well...

chockymonster

posted on 14/11/06 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coose
I don't think that the ECU has any control over the fuel fault code, though I could be wrong....

You're right.
The wires for the fuel sender go straight to the gauge.
When my gauge was wired in (5pw) without the green/white going to ground it gave me a fault code on the display. As soon as it was put to ground I got a low fuel warning light. Double check you are using the correct wire at the clock end, as it may change in the headlight loom.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zxrlocost

posted on 14/11/06 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
its a little green two pin plug

if you bridge a wire NO resistor your fuel light should come on

forget totally relying on any bike wiring looms most Ive looked at although helpful usually are about 30% wrong on wire colours

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

kurt

posted on 14/11/06 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Shorting out the G/W to earth does put the fuel warning light on but only for a few seconds, so this tends to suggest I've definitely got the correct wire. I've checked for continuity on all wires back to both the clocks and the ECU, all are OK. G/Y according my Haynes wiring diagram and the official Yamaha Manual only runs from the clocks to the ECU. I do have an R1 fuel sender bur it's not in the tank, it's behind the scuttle. At worst this should register the tank as empty and turn on the fuel warning light, but even this connected does not cure the fault. By the way I appreciate the help so far, because this problem is doing my head in. What would happen if I cut the white wire from the Clocks to the ECU? Would the ECU simply not allow the engine to start because it has no self diagnostics?
tks

posted on 15/11/06 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
nahh

the fuel sender has to be taken out.

the signal it gives could be monitored for correctness. (vibration?, no fuel in it bad connections?? oxidation??)

also if the fuel is digitally showed or measured you will get problems when your connections etc. aren“t soldered.

sow including your bridge could just spark a bit the dash will give then error because it says fuel sender is wrong.

solder a pot to the wires and play with the resistance. also look for bad connections basicly thats the problem you have.

anyway don“t ship your fuel sender with you its not nececairy and every weight saved is saved

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

kurt

posted on 15/11/06 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
I've tried a 10k variable resistor and adjusted to try and fix the problem but no luck.
tks

posted on 15/11/06 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
are there any connectors between where you test it and where

the signal needs to go to?

Did you exclude as much as wire as you can?

you wouldn“t be the first wich has damega a wire while welding/cutting etc. etc.

Tks

p.d. just remerbering tha ti had on my bike loom a reset connector with that connector i could delete every thing from the bikes mcu regarding errors etc.

could be a solution for you to make sure history is removed. you do this while it is bridged...

then the light should get on..
i“m sure it also deletes the last measured fuel quantity...

problem is that if the last known value was lets say 3/4 full then you bridge it and its empty the mcu could be suspicous regarding accepting the signal.

the fact that the light lit is a good sign.

[Edited on 15/11/06 by tks]

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

zxrlocost

posted on 15/11/06 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
have you done what I said mate??

1 piece of wire
disconnect the fuel sender
and bridge the green two pin plug on the loom with the wire just push the wire in side to side

no need to earth anything or finding specific coloured wires

its a little green plug from memory

this will make your fuel light come on PERMANENTLY

hope that helps chris

let us know when youve done exactly that

Winston Todge

posted on 15/11/06 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
I've used the 5JJ clocks with a 4XV loom and motor but this is a quote from that thread I suggested earlier...

'98/99 ignitor (read ECU) plug has green/yellow wire which is the fuel level fault from the original meter this connection should be Earthed thro a 100 ohm (I've used a 0.25W 1kohm resistor) resistor to stop the fuel fault code to the meter '

Have you tried this?

You don't need to cut the wire. Just prise the top loom plug apart and pull the G/Y wire out and earth through a 1k resistor.

P.S. Make sure whatever you earth it to is actually 0V too! I had a couple of hiccups doing this. To be safe maybe take it to the negative terminal of the battery?

P.P.S. Have you printed out an A3 copy of page 413 of the R1 service manual? (http://www.bethman.net/r1forum/manuals.html)

Also page 403 has the fault codes... I'm sure you've seen this though from your comments.

Chris.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Winston Todge

posted on 15/11/06 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Just to clarify the Green and Yellow wire going TO the ECU is the one that needs grounding through a resistor as it uses this to tell whether or not there is a 'fuel level indicator' error as the Yamaha manual puts it...

kurt

posted on 15/11/06 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Is the Green/Yellow the one running between the clocks and ECU, and has nothing to do with the Green/White from the fuel sender?
kurt

posted on 15/11/06 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've just tried grounding the G/Y to the ECU through a variable 10K resistor and adjusted it, still the error code. I've also tried the shorting out the connector on the loom and this puts the warning light on for a few seconds and then it goes out. I'm not convinced that the G/Y has anything to do with the error reading as this wire is now cut and still I get the error. The only thing that switches the LED on is shorting the connector, but then as I've said only for a few seconds. The G/Y has had no effect.
Winston Todge

posted on 16/11/06 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
The only reason I've mentioned the G/Y wire is that when it is grounded through a 1k resistor on my install, the error code disappears and then if I remove the earth, it reappears...

With power to everything (i.e. ignition switched on) grounding this wire out and then leaving it floating (i.e. not connected, no potential) directly brings the fault code in and out again.

I would be very surprised if it was anything to do with the ECU to be perfectly honest. Although this does send the fault code via the Tacho connection to tell it to display the 8k error code for 2.5 seconds every 3 seconds.

Chris.

Sorry to be of no help...

kurt

posted on 3/12/06 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
I've finally fixed it!

Just to finish off this thread, I finally traced the problem to a dodgy ICU. I borrowed one from my local breakers, plugged it in, problem solved. I then had to fork out £85 to pay for it, but at least the problem is solved. So much for bombproof Japanese electronics.
Guinness

posted on 3/12/06 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Cool

Does this mean you are going to actually use it?

Mike

jambojeef

posted on 5/12/06 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah Kurt!

Get it on the road! (I agree that practically its not the best plan - but you need to take us out in it!!)

Geoff

kurt

posted on 14/12/06 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry chaps, you'll have to wait until the Spring. I've spent all of my money for getting it on the road, on bits to fix it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.