Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Viento suspension
Johnmor

posted on 5/4/07 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Viento suspension

I have had me car on the road the last few days and can't seem to get the suspension right.

What are other viento drivers doing in relation to damper setting.

The car weighs around the 750 Kgs

I have the standard gaz shocks and have them set on the 6th click back from fully open.

The springs are set OK i think but the car feels nervous on an uneven or poor road surface.

I have about 3" clearance under the car and had a couple of bottom outs when I hit some nasty road bumps , Is it set too soft.

Dont know enough about suspension and I'm using trial and error.

Dave Bailey

posted on 5/4/07 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Don't shout..... When you built the suspension were the crush tubes the correct length i.e. protruding out of the bushes either end by about .25mm. I have just spent a couple of weeks trimming bushes and skimming crush tubes to get the suspension smmoth. From some of the threads on here it seem common with the Luego bushes and pins and in fact in my Velocity manual it states tighten the bolts up then slacken them off until the bolt head starts to turn. This quite clearly is not good. The bolt should be FT and the wishbone still smooth. Probably nothing to do with your problem but worth checking. Did you corner weight it and was it repeatable?

Dave B.

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/4/07 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
I saw your car up at Alford on sunday, well actually I looked all over it , very nicely finished. Did you have to cover the upper harness fittings for the SVA?? as I noticed you'd done that and the boot over the trackrod ends is very smart, where did you get that?

[Edited on 6/4/07 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 6/4/07 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Drop your tyre pressures to about 18 - 20PSI all round.
I had 30 front and 28 back, and the a*se hung out on every corner with a little bit of right foot. Very Skittish!.

I now have mine at 20psi all round. Thats a lot better. However, me and my boy is like you having 4 people in your two seater car. (We collectively weigh in at 41St

I agree with the bushes, and have done mine. The bolt should be FTight, as the Crush Tube is the hinge, and not the bolt.

I trimmed my bush in my lathe, and the suspension has been much smoother since!

I have my shocks set at about 5 or 6 clicks up from the lighest setting. I think it needs a bit more, as its a bit bouncy.

Not sure on the spring settings, I have set mine so the ride height is slightly higher at the rear. However, this needs a little fettling, as I still need to get the corner weights right.

More the check and play with.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
perci

posted on 7/4/07 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
We had same problem but we had underestimated gvw of our car, it was sva,d at 1010kg front 300lb springs were kept the same but following a chat to wilkin j at brandshatch we changed the viento supplied 175lb to 275lb springs at the back adjusted to give approx 3" clearance,6 clicks from soft on shockers and adjusted tyre pressures transformed ride and handleing, (no bottoming out), best of luck,

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.